I'm coming home.

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Edavi, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Edavi New Member

It has been a long time. Years even, since I ventured into Norrath. This game was a huge part of my life, until slowly, I just stopped logging in. I miss it, I have been trying to find a replacement for years and just never figured it out, never found something to fill that hole.

This morning, I got an email, as I have got several times from SOE and now Daybreak, telling me of a new expansion. I've ignored them as we ventured into Kunark, got mercenaries, ventured into Velious and so on. But, this morning, I saw something that struck me right in the soul. The Planes of Power. I know thats not what they are being called, but thats what they were in EQ1, and thats what they are. I can't stay away anymore, I can't keep ignoring with those planes calling me.

I love the lore of Norrath, I DM a D&D campaign based on the Gods and cities in Norrath, a place I haven't been in years is burned into my memory. Does anyone know where I can go to get caught up on the story? Where are we now, if we're going to the planes of power, that means the Gods are all the way back and a part of the world again. A youtube video, a long article, anything? I am ready to get back into the planes of disease and innovation, somewhere I haven't been in something like 15 years.

Also, server recomendations. Which ones are active, I am west coast and will be working my way into raiding.

Thanks everyone, so excited to venture back to the world that was once home.
    Prissetta likes this.
  2. Carynn Well-Known Member

I would highly recommend reading the beta forums and asking people questions before venturing home. The last expansion pack was terrible and to "catch up" will take you months of playing if you're lucky to get in an active guild, and forget about raiding. Unknown if any of this will change with PoP coming out. I have a question thread started for those who didn't pre-order but haven't gotten any responses from people actually playing beta yet.
  3. Edavi New Member

I expect it to take quite a long while to get into raiding shape, but is the game really so far gone that I couldn't even get into an active guild? I know theres going to be a lot of playing alone in my future, but, I have a lvl 80 character, OR, i could do the boost to 95. I just miss the place, I hope its worth returning to.
  4. Lucus Well-Known Member

for a general idea what's been happening lore wise check post 8 on this thread.
    the planes of power prequest called strange sensations hints at the emergence of magic that hasn't been seen in a long time.

I'd suggest skyfire as a server, we are active and have a few decent raiding guilds and some good ones. there are a decent chunk of people looking for group at prime time and a decent chunk of helpful peeps..

if you like the prospect of being able to chat with people across server and in different categories with the prospect of devs commenting or responding you should try out the discord chat client here's an invite link https://discord.gg/3hEWgnv to the everquest2 server, can run it straight from your browser or download the app.

there are plenty of active guilds, kunark ascending was a massive pain for alts, i hear they are going to make it better in POP to maintain alts and catch up mechanics for returning players.
    Semperfifofum likes this.
  5. Vunder Well-Known Member

PoP is a fresh start expansion. You don't need anything to start. It comes with a free level 100 and gear that is roughly the same at T3.5 raid gear now. It allows you to make a brand new toon and jump into the game. Getting the epic 2.0 isn't required to enjoy anything. The weapons dropping have stats on par with 2.0 minus the proc/spells/fervor/overcap.

There is no time gates. Ascension will level with scrolls but there are enough scrolls to get you there and then some. Quests are giving a good amount of EXP so you won't feel like a grind. Current problem is quest gives 9million exp....tithe caps at 10 points so there is alot of wasted tithe.
    Semperfifofum and Prissetta like this.
  6. Carynn Well-Known Member

Will you pop over to the For PoP Beta Folks thread in general chat and answer some of the questions I had there, since you seem to be a beta player? Quest xp was one of my questions. There are a few others who posted some questions in the thread. Thank you.
  7. Vunder Well-Known Member

Healing was changed to % based heals.

So I am retiring as a healer after 10 years of raid healing. So if thats your thing, it's your chance to replace many healers who are washing their hands of it and going to dps/tank/support
  8. Carynn Well-Known Member

As in, the beneficial spells no longer read "heals 100-200 damage" but instead all say "heals 10% of damage"? My mains are mages, not heals, but this is info seems pretty dang important!
  9. Edavi New Member

Wow, thats interesting. I mean, I'll try anything once... Thanks!

And thank you all for the responses! I'll do some soul searching tonight and see how I want to proceed!
  10. Jhen Ro Active Member

Wait, what? For all priest classes? Can you give some details - is it harder to heal a group now, easier...? Leaving the healing game cause it's easy mode now, or the opposite?
  11. Edavi New Member

Could we circle back to the question of lore and storyline though? I cannot find a comprehensive list of events. I did see the reference above, but that was extremely minimal.

Does anyone know where this might live? I'm shocked a storyline doesn't just exist on the website, but, this game seems kinda poorly supported, you can hardly find the game features on the website.

Thanks everyone!
  12. Arieva Well-Known Member

I'd suggest Maj'dul as the most populated non european server. Fewer west coast guilds in general on this game but there are a few
  13. Lucus Well-Known Member

if you want the story fleshed out, you'll have to do the associated sig lines from those expansions.
  14. Raff Well-Known Member

Edavi,

Someone... a forum regular. Trying to remember who it was?? Wurm maybe...Mermut? They did as complete of a Lore synopsis that I've ever seen in the forums up KA. Or the beginning of KA.

Its in these forums somewhere. If I can remember the author, I let you know. Maybe someone else remembers?

There was a lengthy lore discussion here

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/dead-gods.578927/
  15. Carynn Well-Known Member

The crafting questline gives you a ton of lore background, starting with http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/The_Captain's_Lament and going through ToT and KA. More than the adventure signature questlines imho. And yes, I remember there being a lore thread in General. Here's what a search brought up most recently:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/lore-arcannase-spire.580837/#post-6463133
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/a-few-eq2-lore-questions.580373/#post-6457738
  16. Tekka Well-Known Member

There used to be a very good lore forum here, but it was removed. You could do some searches on the forums, search the wikia for lore and signature quest lines (which contain the bulk of an expansion's story now).

I suggest a lot of reading, lore and otherwise, before committing so you're both prepared, and not disappointed. Best of luck!
  17. -Soteria- Well-Known Member

Where are you getting this info Vunder?
  18. Revel Well-Known Member

I hope you enjoy 4 months or more of work plus spending $200 on your ascensions to catch up, because that is the boat you're in if you want to join any serious raiding guild at this point.
  19. Vunder Well-Known Member

I only play healers so that’s what I’m beta testing.
  20. -Soteria- Well-Known Member

I've been told that channelers have % based heals, the other healers' spells are normal. Have you been testing anything besides channeler?
    Vunder likes this.