Illy vs Coercer playstyles

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Discodude, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Discodude New Member

I can't decide which one of these to choose for a new character. Always enjoyed Enchanters back in EQ1. I like the idea of Charm as a Coercer, but I know it's not as reliable as Personae Reflection.

As far as soloing goes, which class is better? I mainly PvE solo. And, playstyle-wise, is there much difference between the two? I honestly don't know how they differ really.

thanks!
  2. Jrox Well-Known Member

Illy for the win solo. Just sayin...
  3. Discodude New Member

Why is that? was kinda lookin for more detail w/ the differences of them both.
  4. Skiasss Member

illy is more of a caster utility well as of KA the better util out of the 2 .
    coercer feeds mana better + has hate xfer and peaceful link

both can solo well just 1 has a pet and 1 has to charm a pet ....

illy to me has a higher dps ceiling than coercer .... but idk havent tinkered with coercer much this xpac tbh
    Discodude likes this.
  5. Mermut Well-Known Member

Illy and coercer are probably closer to each other in game play then I've seen them before. The main difference is their buffs.. Illy's buff mages, and coercers help tanks.
    That is the main reason illy have a higher dps potential then coercers.. the illy benefits from her own buffs more then the coercer benefits her own buffs.
    Discodude likes this.
  6. Discodude New Member

Ok thanks for the input. I was thinking that because a Coercer has a more powerful 'pet' - it would out-DPS an Illy - but it sounds like that may not be the case. Also, is charming semi-reliable (and does it have a timer or does it break randomly?)

And, it's subjective but, do you enjoy playing a Coercer or an Illy more?

P.S. I was looking for a site that details top 'dps' classes in EQ2 now but couldn't find one. Of the Mage classes, which would you say do the top DPS? I have a level 74-ish Wizard, 28 Warlock (used to play a while ago, returning player.)
  7. Mermut Well-Known Member

Once you finish the epic 2.0, then the coercer pet is more powerful... sort of.
    1) You have to re-copy yourself ever single time you zone or die on the coercer (illy pet persists)
    2) the epic 2.0 coercer pet buff is a temp buff.. that you have to keep casting every time it is up.. it is not a perma buff

Before you get your epic 2.0, the coercer pet is, effectively, worthless. I didn't even bother casting it except to 'practice' for epic 2.0 (so I would get in the habit of resummoning the thing every time I zone/die, etc
  8. Discodude New Member

Ok is the Epic 2.0 the 'Awakened Eye of the Siren' you are referring to? Sounds like you have put a lot of effort into your Coercer - do you enjoy it? And have you tried Illy? (I know you can switch later if you want to via that quest.)
  9. Mermut Well-Known Member

If you'd like to check out my coercer, you can check out Nimlis on EQ2u

I do enjoy playing her.I started back when coercers were melee mages, since I tend to prefer melee. I still enjoy her, even though coercers are better off as pure casters these days. I do decent on her but I'm no expert on coercers. For me it's stand at 20 to unda, find a good mimic target and throw my triggers up on the mob.

I've never played an illy, so I can't compare.
    Discodude likes this.
  10. Jrox Well-Known Member

I have both and can play both. In a "SOLO" setting the Illy far out-performs the coercer. Not that a Coercer doesn't have his advantages or tricks and decent DPS, it's just a simple math question. Who burns it down quicker? The Illy does. in this day and age, any mention of Utility when soloing is a definite waste of discussion whereas in a group or Raid it comes into play more but still close to irrelevant. This is only my Opinion.

As for which one you want to play, that would depend entirely on you, play both to 20 see what you think as far as style and how it fits you. They are not played the same. There are some who claim they are identical but in my opinion, they are very different. Either way, the enchanter class is lots of fun. So enjoy!
  11. Mermut Well-Known Member

At top level, how are they very different?
  12. Jrox Well-Known Member

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...lusionist-and-you-maximizing-your-dps.578562/ will help you with the Illy. As for the coercer, it is different in the utility utilized by a raid force. The coercer can not match the illy's end-game dps. If you want to feed power at end game you def need to go the coercer route. If you want to DPS with the best of them you should go the route of the Illy. Illy's can power feed but not as efficiently.
  13. Illflow New Member

Do not drink the Jrox koolaid, the only reason Illusionist have a slight edge is because of their class cloak/epic buff at end game. Coercers are just as capable.
  14. Skiasss Member

Lies lol

Illys have a naturally higher ability to dps than a coercer

Yes our cloak does help but it is not the reason I Double if not triple coercers end game
    Scrappyz and Jrox like this.
  15. Jrox Well-Known Member

Preach!

Seriously, I could take my cloak off and still probably double a coercer.
  16. lumi New Member

I have to disagree with people here i am a coercer in the number one guild who actually beats illus on most if not all parses .. dont knock one till you try one.
  17. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

Coercer - Better power regen & Hate utility.
    Illusionist - Better group DPS.

DPS between the 2 classes is pretty equivalent. Whoever has most stats and paid most for Ascension usually wins.

Really isn't much more to it than that.
    Mermut likes this.
  18. Revanu Well-Known Member

this is comparing apples to oranges. You are beating your illusionist, which may or may not be best illusionist.

Theres no way to gauge 1's dps vs the other anyhow because your dps will be higher if your raids overall is higher. I've never seen a better illusionist than skiass i doubt anyone is even close. I can say without trepidation no one on HoF is remotely close. That being said, there's still no metric one can use to analyze A vs B simply because its an unparalleled rubric.
  19. Geniusincuba New Member

Emelea on HoF not as good, but not bad at all :)
  20. Discodude New Member

I was just doing a grind dungeon group, and the Coercer there told me that they are almost top DPS in level 100 dungeons/raids. I assume that's a lie? What about wizards, conjurors?

To ask further, does a Coercer's DPS come mainly from their charmed pet? And, where does an Illy's DPS mainly come from? I assume the Illy reflected image isn't all that good...