Ideas to save Nagafen

Discussion in 'PvP & Battlegrounds' started by Cuoco, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Cuoco Member

I'm a pretty die hard Naggy lover and unless they force me to go I won't so here are my thoughts....

People that play this game want incentive period... Make is so there are free copies of toons to the Nagafen server....Sony you will make your money with all the marketplace purchases by doing so...Every chest that drops on the Nagafen server should drop pvp tokens accordingly...small chest maybe 25-50....treasured 100...ornate 250...ex box 500 etc..this would eliminate a need for the warzone and get people doing zones again. Bring back warfields with new tokens and a much higher incentive for wining and much harder to burn towers... maybe 1000 tokens? For all those asking if the server is dead most of the time I do a /who all during prime time there are 50 people on Q and about the same in FP so we have a base of around 100 players. It will never be like the old days but I still enjoy the server and it could be better.
    willow, Deathpoke, kronich and 3 others like this.
  2. ripsawkiller New Member

Should make Warfields like the ring events in the Great Divide scales with how many people involved and when you kill center tower guard drops a chest for everyone small or big depending how many people involved, and the chest can have tokens blue adorns or even cyan adorns. Or just change the ring events in the Great divide on Naggy to drop the pvp stuff I mentioned. Should be easy enough to implement. Please Please do something thou
    Deathpoke likes this.
  3. Siren Well-Known Member

/copies would be terrific, but SOE said they were too leery of exploits. Apparently exploits were only okay when Freeport F2P server first went up and you could buy a transfer token and use it to /copy a toon to Freeport from the blue servers. :p

In lieu of copies, there should be a huge Nagafen-only double XP event to encourage rolling on Naggy. Other faction-based open PvP games like Aion offer permanent increased XP whenever there is an under-represented faction on a particular PvP server. They also give out free gear and items to that faction if you roll there, too. Encouraging the player base to come to Nagafen and making it easy for them to do so will only help us, especially now with the PvE gear/ adorns situation for end-game in lieu of gear separation.
    Deathpoke likes this.
  4. Ajjantis Well-Known Member

80% of nagafen moved to AB. Its like nagafen but hundred times better. Yes we don't have PvP, but Nagafen doesn't either. But we got lots and lots of PvE and its a blast so far :)
    Vlahkmaak and Glassjaw like this.
  5. Mowse Well-Known Member

Silly statement. we do have Pvp. AB doesn't
    Deathpoke likes this.
  6. Ajjantis Well-Known Member

No you don't.
    Shesaz likes this.
  7. Mowse Well-Known Member

So to get back to the original post ... and per Cuoco's statement .. die hard Naggy player... those of us that do enjoy open world PVP, we get some on Naggy. Granted its not like old Venekor, but it still has the tension of being killed by PVP means... last night I was involved with PVP.

PVE is not the same and you know it.
  8. Glassjaw Active Member

I used to be an open world pvp fanatic back on Vox at the start of RoK but it slowly died as time pressed on. Vox closed and I tried Nagafen out only to find it was just as dead and on it's way to the grave.

Enter Antonia Bayle server. Good population, easy to find groups for PVE content and when I get the itch to PVP I pop into battle grounds. It's a good compromise in my experience. Not only am I not frustrated with low population and not getting groups but I still have the opportunity to pvp when I choose.
  9. Creasote Well-Known Member

I like the contested names in AOM and their drops. This was a step in the right direction.

I would add more difficult ones which require a group to kill and of course increase the rewards. Make them part of a quest too with Pve and pvp rewards.

Keep getting people out in the open world. Add a pvp writ for the AOM zones only.
    Deathpoke likes this.
  10. Mowse Well-Known Member

Wish I liked BG but I absolutely hate them. They put my stomach in knots. I like questing, so I can get my fill of PVE but at the same time run across PVP while questing. I realized we seem to beat the poor old dead horse constantly.. but it is what it is. I have too many toons and years to transfer to a pve server... and do not feel like starting over. Until SOE forces me to move and moves all my kids for free, then I am stuck. It comes down to my choice.. so I choose to stay here and complain about the lack of a population. But per the start of this thread...Cuoco offered ideas to help the population that has chosen to stay on Nagafen.. not go to PVE And it maybe even entice others to come to Naggy. So I "liked" Cuoco's thread.
    Deathpoke likes this.
  11. Foretold Well-Known Member

If there was a /copy to Nagafen, I'd copy a toon over. I just don't have time to start a new toon from the ground up. And I really don't like the battlegrounds. I kept trying to like it, but it was just too contrived. I prefer the "danger" of open world PVP.
    Deathpoke, Shesaz, Mowse and 3 others like this.
  12. Maddest Active Member

Pvp is slow but there is still some who dont mind overlanding it. Was running a quest the other day and got 9 openworld engagements. A lot of times when you kill someone they call in reinforcements if you hang around and can get some good pvp like that. Was a few guildies killing some fp and pretty soon there was 15 fp in zone to defend their amigos. Even with the slim pickens Id say there is still more than there was on venekor prior to the merge. Mostly what Im seeing is people avoid pvp like the plague because there is little reward. An overland writ giver at the minimum would be a step in the right direction. I miss Flautuna. I dont know much about coding but it doesnt seem like adding in a writ giver would be terribly difficult and would definitely be a nice interim fix.

Bg feels too much like a canned hunt to me. Pls make theer completable by the script. Though it was broke when it launched at least you could complete it.
  13. Fetish Well-Known Member

I would sooooo love for there to be a viable red server to play on again, but I'm afraid the mechanics involved with the game, not the combat mechanics that people complain about (procs, toughness, lethality) but things like having any reason to be out in the actual game world where you are forced to interact with other players. The players' love for PvP hasn't changed. The server isn't vacant because PvP imbalanced or because people want BGs. The red server is vacant because all the game mechanics that forced people to travel, group, quest, harvest, to get gear has changed. You used to have to take a griff to Steppes Station and then run to TS to get to the docks to go where ever you wanted...now, insta-travel with a click, or fly, or vet call, or... People will take the path of least resistance. SOE has made that path of least resistance way to easy to support a viable red server environment. People signed up by the metric butt ton to play on Nagafen, Venekor, and Vox...and those servers were packed. The red server game was also tightly entwined with the blue game. You wanted to gear up...you geared up! There were no BGs to hide in...or just lose over and over while you were alt+tabbed out watching netflix till you had enough tokens to make you invincible. You actually had to play EQ2...the real game. This led to conflict...Qs fighting Freeps over harvests, mob spawns, open dungeon questing or XPing. That conflict, or at least the chance of there being conflict and danger is what made people roll toon on a red server. SOE took that chance and risk away... Unless that sense of risk, reward, danger and achievement is returned, there will be no incentive that will ever revive the last EQ2 red server.
  14. Trasor Active Member

I just wish there was opt-in pvp at this point, not like Battlegrounds, which are a colossal nightmare. Frankly, I find it hard to keep logging into this game without the PvP aspect...sigh January 5th came and went, what to do now.
    Deathpoke likes this.
  15. Cuoco Member

With how slow most of the servers are it would be amazing if it was just 1 blue server(AB) and 1 red server(Naggy)
  16. Deathpoke Member

I agree with a lot of what has been said already on this thread. My wife and I are recently returning players that have most of our toons on Nagafen. We didn't start out this way but after experiencing the thrill of open world PvP as well as Warfronts in Antonica we began to either transfer or create all our alts on Nagafen.

I do hope that traffic picks back up and SOE comes up with ways to bring PvP back to this game. I hope that they take the time to listen, to those players who will always be back no matter how many breaks they take, and put real effort into bringing their ideas to life.

The only idea I've come up with so far is a little one. I thought it might be cool to make Tactical Rally Banners (Guild Flag) attackable and equivalent to a Heroic or Epic training dumby. If you and a friend or guildmate are running around and happen upon a banner of the opposite alignment you should be able to engage it. Once engaged it would send a message in guild chat to the guild that the banner belongs to, maybe even multiple messages at different stages of damage dealt. "Player X is attacking your guild banner in The Hole" If you defeat the banner you would get a minor token and or status reward. The main idea is that you could start guild battles at any place or time that you happen to see a flag up. It is difficult to find open world PvP on a server with our currently low population. This might be one of many ways to allow those who truly seek it to stir up some trouble with the opposing faction.

Anyone else have ideas? Let's come up with some idea(s) that will draw in more players to Nagafen as well as bring the existing players out at all levels.

One last thought...Has SOE ever acknowledged how jacked up 30-94 BGs are? I prefer open world but that is hard (not impossible) to find. I started fresh on a new account and am still working on a max level character, currently 91. I've tried queing for BG on a few toons >30 and the balance just isn't there. The 90+ players repeatedly one shot anyone below 70 and those are taken out in 2-3 shots. Why did it change from 30-89? The que times have really slowed at that grouping and I assume it's because of this unbalance. Something really needs to be done to fix this and to make people excited to BG below level 95. It's crazy to expect people to wait until then to have an enjoyable option for BGs.

Thanks,
    Deathpoke
  17. willow Member

I agree i came from pve 4 yrs ago and i played there for 6 yrs or so, and i just got soooo bored killing thing that dont have a thought of whats going on ,, where in pvp its TOTALY!! different. you have a person on the other side that your attacking,, a real person and mind that can move , run , fight ,, do all kinds of moves that your not excepting it awesome here and I really believe that anyone thats not tried it at least once should make an effort to try,, hell, bgs is swamped with people from all servers,, why???? to PVP......
  18. Fetish Well-Known Member

I absolutely agree; PvP added so much fun to the PvE game! Back when the red servers were packed, before the horrid changes and BGs, was the last time I've ever played a MMO where I felt sad to log off, where I was experiencing soooooo much fun I was more than willing to go in to work the next day sleep deprived, or tell my friends that I didn't want to go out. There was risk, reward, danger...thinking opponents that were competing (by lieu of being on the other faction) for the same resources and mobs. It made the most mundane of tasks, like traveling to a dungeon, and adventure.

...but "BGs is swamped with people from all servers"?!? Seriously? I've seen more people fighting over a Griffin Tower in Antonica that you will see logged in to BGs during prime time...

The best idea that SOE could have for reviving the last red server, with minimal effort, would be to look at the past...look back to when the red servers were packed with so many people that they had to buy new hardware to support them. ...look back at the environment that caused people to have such immense fun that they deleted all of their blue server toons and rerolled everything on Venekor, Nagafen, or Vox. It can be summarized easily. Remove the "blue server" type features: instant travel, ridiculous speed mounts, non-PvP newb zones, and PvP gear obtained from BGs. Those blue server playstyle features killed what was quite possibly the best implementation of RPGMMO PvP ever to grace any game. I cannot understand how SOE was so careless as to let such a lucky thing for them slip away. Meh...
    Ajjantis likes this.
  19. Scum Member

Open new server exactly as pvp was when it launched in KoS and leave everything as it was; more importantly once this is in place don't ever make a change.

Mystery solved!
  20. Siren Well-Known Member

Yes, this has been mentioned oh, about 2394078234 times in the last few years, lol, by me along with half the player base who has ever played on Nagafen or the other shuttered open PvP servers.

Caith has actually come into a thread or two and explained that just magically finding a backup of the game in that time period and mounting it onto an EQ2 server was next to impossible.

Also, and this is my conjecture here, maintaining it with all its age-old code (and connecting the current F2P scheme/cash shop to it) would likely be even more difficult. Moreover, as I have mentioned in passing in other threads, I don't know that anyone would welcome going back to a time where crafting took umpteen combines, teams all shared XP debt when one teammate died, there were shard runs every time you were killed, everything had weight, spell upgrades all had different names every tier, blah blah blah. Hey, I'd go back and play it, but I think we players tend to forget all the quality of life enhancements this game has gotten over the years.