I will fix eq2players for free...

Discussion in 'EQ2Players.com Website Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-bheam, Jul 3, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-bheam Guest

Hi,
    I'm a senior programmer and web- site/service developer. It's too sad to see a good game like EQ2 deteriorate because a "free service" isn't a priority and has been left dead for more than 2 years - even though it's publicly available!
    I will fix the character profile pages for free, using existing resources.
    All you have to do is:
    - Assign 1 person to fixing the web/xml service for exporting item- and character data.
    What I will do is:
    - Set up a PHP website service on a chosen hosting server
    - Set up webpages using existing graphic resources and templates
    - Code anything necessary to make this work.
    Best regards,
    Michael
  2. ARCHIVED-andrewjh Guest

Further to this, I have over 15 years experience with UNIX / Windows Clustering skills, and I would also like to volounteer my services towards this project.
    Additionally the offline guild chat functionality would be great to fix also.
    It does seem that its a real shame that the periphery services, which in my opinion, add a greater level of depth and detail , to the less casual players, are allowed to go stale, and die.
    Lets hope that either SOE devote some time / money to this, or at least outsource these facets, and get the add on extras sorted out.

Andrew
  3. ARCHIVED-eidand Guest

I will repair your website and add new functionality.
    All I need is remote access to the curent sources.
    Unlike the others, I am not willing to do it for free though, we can start discussing at 40$ per hour.
  4. ARCHIVED-NardacMM Guest

Sounds good to me. You're hired!
    Too bad I don't get to make decisions around here. :(
  5. ARCHIVED-kanechart Guest

This thread is as big as a joke as the invisable SOE rep who will reply.
    They don't care. Can't you see SOE is dying?
  6. ARCHIVED-eidand Guest

kanechart wrote:
    You need to use thy head a little bit and do a bit of research before making such a statement.
    Go and look online, young padhovan, take a look at their business and then you can comment and I guarantee , you will not post something this stupid any time soon.
  7. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

Mrrshan@Runnyeye wrote:
    I believe the word you are searching for is 'padowan'. And SOE just lost Star Wars Galaxies last time I checked so kind of an odd choice of scolding for another player.
    Also, I have taken a look at SOE's business. If you had, you wouldn't post a rebuttal of any sort.
  8. ARCHIVED-LygerT Guest

feldon30 wrote:
    usually i am not a glass is half full person but i'll take the high road here and say that the loss of one game(or even 2)doesn't really mean that a company is failing. granted i doubt SOE is doing too hot after last month's security hack i still doubt you'll be seeing it disappear into the night so easily, considering it is also backed by Sony corporate who could give them almost limitless funding if they chose to. technically i believe EQ2 could be so much more if it had more resources and promotion but sadly i just don't see that ever happening.
    all you have to do is look at the one hit wonder and see that advertising can do wonders for certain businesses.
  9. ARCHIVED-bheam Guest

Seriously, though, the site can't get any worse than it is... what's so wrong about outsourcing half the job to someone who will do it for free?
  10. ARCHIVED-Banedon_Toran Guest

On a totally serious note, Zam has access to the EQ2 quest database and is an external site paid for by advertising.
    Perhaps Sony should consider allowing a third party access to their character database and provide the service that EQ2Players is obviously failing, on some sort of contractual basis obviously.
    Might be a an opportunity there for an enterprising web designer, assuming that the core problem isn't the feed from the servers to EQ2Players in the first place.
  11. ARCHIVED-RedBaron Guest

pressing the delete key might be a better option!
    Because eq2players is down the android and iphone apps dont work either..
    I'd prefer they put the time into ingame issues like working pool tables!
  12. ARCHIVED-NEROLATHE Guest

Neust@Splitpaw wrote:
    I doubt it would take too much manpower to bring up external feeds...That's all we really want.
  13. ARCHIVED-Lantis Guest

Nerolathe@Butcherblock wrote:
    Ain't as simple as it might seem. For starter, this is dynamic data (versus the static data that Zam has access to). So, you need to setup a separate database that acts as a cache for the main database, with regular syncing of both. You do not want to let external third parties hammering the main database for obvious reasons. Then, you have to develop the web API that will generate requests to that database, format it as XML, and serve it to users. Again, with security measures to protect against constant hammering. That step will requires web developpers which is currently what the EQ2 team is missing.
    That looks like what Turbine did on their own public feeds. When you request a character info, that requests gets cached for 24 hours (so no point in hammering the server for constant refresh - you only get the cached result). And since data is occasionally out of sync with the game, I suspect those requests are made to a separate database, not the main one.
  14. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

Lantis@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    Actually Done for over 6 months now. :(
    Lantis@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    Done. Your choice of XML or JSON.
    We're just waiting for it to be made available.
  15. ARCHIVED-Lantis Guest

feldon30 wrote:
    Then they are probably waiting for the expansion launch, because I assume that new service was developped around expansion content (AAs and such). That was what I expected of them after SJ mentionned at last FF that they had something ready or nearly ready to launch, but had no ETA on the launch date.
    That's assuming they truly have something finished and ready for launch. I heard the same story from last year's FF...
  16. ARCHIVED-Dark_Grue Guest

Heard the same story at the 2010 and 2011 FF: "it's done, just waiting for it to be released". Uh huh.
    The mobile app just doesn't work anymore. I don't know if that's more of a symptom of the mobile app's support being broken (release once, then abandon in place?), than the supposed "new" service it relies upon for data... maybe not being as "ready" as rumor says.
    Either way, I've looked at the embedded strings in the mobile app, and let's say you probably ought to keep better track of what your mercenary mobile app programmers are doing. The placeholder strings in the APK are demonstrative of a pretty purile sense of humor. You'd probably better hope soccer mom's don't learn to rename APK's to ZIP and start opening resource files in a text editor.
    Either way, if the service works or not, ready to pull the switch at a moment's notice or not, we've heard this song before and as far as the customer base is concerned this isn't horseshoes and hand grenades. Either the service is operational, or it's not. And it's not. Repeating that it's ready to be released with apparently no plans to do so (and more to the point, plans to support it once it's released) is just a pointless rooster-tease.
  17. ARCHIVED-fuaburisu Guest

bheam wrote:
    I'm a game developer and have thought about this at times (offering help).
    This sort of thing just won't happen because of contracts, copyright and confidentiality issues and so on.
    Just too much hassle for them.
    Somewhat related; look at all the canceled projects and old games that gather dust and never make it to the public domain. Sad stuff.