I need current advice on betrayal please

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Semperfifofum, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

I'm giving serious thought to betrayal. I have a serious objection to some of the actions I must take in the Freeport timeline, so I'm thinking of betraying several characters.

So I could use some current advice on betraying, please. Is there still an Exile period?

I've saved my hotbars, but I don't know how much of what I see here is accurate anymore. I'm thinking to buy Betrayal tokens and use them (Loyalty points).

Will I lose Ascension levels? Or research on them?

I think I'll be betraying SK--> Pally (yeah this one is tough I imagine, I'll lose a lot of skills)
    and
    Evil Warlock --> Good Warlock

I'll probably also do
    Necro--> Conji
    ... but not for a long time. I like my Necro too much.

Question: If I betray, do Epic 2.0, and betray again, will it allow me to go back to SK and skip the objectionable content in Freeport timeline?

I've never betrayed before, the closest was back when I decided to play F2P and gain faction with Qeynos, and relocate there. This was back when you couldn't "start" in Qeynos unless you were paid. I just did it as a challenge to see if it was possible. It was. And that was fun and very memorable actually.

I don't expect Betrayal to be picnic but it might be equally memorable and still give me a lot of fun memories. I hope, anyway. :)

I'll go play an alt until I have a better idea of what I'm in for.
  2. Mermut Well-Known Member

Ascension is not affected by betraying.
    If you retain the same class (warlock to warlock) there is no loss of ability levels.
    You are temporarily an exile, but there is no 'time required' there.

If you have the loyalty tokens for it, you can buy a betray token that lets you skip the entire betrayal questline
  3. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

Thought of something.. What happens to things like "The Dark Bargainers" faction? Or, if I go to Thallumbra, does Queen Christanos disappear?

I'm hoping TS faction just converts to the new city's faction, but even so I lose the mercahnt access. Maybe I should buy some of the items first.

The SK is the biggest issue, he's the one I'm ready to do Epic 2.0 with, and so he'd have to either finish the Freeport timeline or betray.

This really isn't about "fantasy" or roleplay for me, I just never expected to be forced into doing quests I found repulsive. So you wont' be giving me spoilers. If you're worried about that, just mark your information "spoiler" with strikethrough or white text. Much appreciated as always.
  4. Carynn Well-Known Member

Your current faction will not change save for base city faction (not craft). If you use token, even that may not change because you are not doing anti faction quests, but I am not sure on that point.
  5. Mermut Well-Known Member

Your tradeskill faction doesn't 'swap'.. you start from zero with your new city TS faction.
  6. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

The reason I'm asking for advice is, some rough edges appeared when I switched TS classes a couple of years ago. I had to go from level 1 to 20 without the quests that usually boost you, and no buffs from TS AA's. It was a bit annoying. So what did you find annoying when you betrayed? I'm looking for forewarning.

Examples I've noticed so far:

*You lose the old TS faction and can no longer buy things from the previous merchant. (I don't mind getting new faction, but lose the old, and you lose decorating options).

*You can no longer get factions from opposing cities, with associated decorating options... no more, for example, getting Seafury Buccaneers faction to get a mounted shark head.

For both of these the solution is, do it first, buy what you need and then betray.

I've also heard of people going "back and forth" between good/evil. Is it really as problem free as it sounds?Because if so, then I can betray, finish Epic 2.0 while "good" and then betray again, gaining my SK back. (And all the master / GM spells I already have.)
  7. Mermut Well-Known Member

You do not lose any of your tradeskill faction, but you cannot gain any more.
    Unless you do quests that drop faction with the various factions in Freeport (and you CAN do ones while betraying that do lose faction with various groups) you won't lose faction with them.. but you will not be able to gain more faction or buy from the merchants since they don't sell to opposite aligned toons.
  8. Melt Actually plays the game

Why exactly are you betraying? From my experience, the freeport timeline is like 5 times faster than the qeynos line is.
  9. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

Well if you have to ask, then you aren't likely to understand, but I will never even pretend to torture anyone not even in a game. The quest that broke it for me was "Nobody Expects It"

But I've had my problems with the evil timelines before. Putting bombs in public places, killing an innocent old man for no gain or reason (that's not criminal, it's psychotic), gang themes... etc. But torture is where I have always drawn the line, in movies and in any entertainment.
    Prissetta likes this.
  10. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

So getting back to the mechanics of betraying, I betrayed the Warlock, used a Betrayal Token. It was really a lot different from what is written in the Betrayal Timeline.

It changed my city factions and that's all. Afterward I walked out of my Neriak house and went to the Dark Bargainers vendor and was able to buy a title (just testing). I had to fight guards, there are two high level guards wandering near the crafting area, but I survived it.

So the Warlock was not a problem. Looks like I'd better get Seafury Buccaneers faction first though if I want the mounted Shark head for decorating.

I'm surprised nobody's said "gee I swapped to good/evil, did the timeline, and then swapped back" Seems like it would work. Might be the way to go for the SK. Anyone tried that and it didn't work for some reason?
    Prissetta likes this.
  11. Melt Actually plays the game

That's understandable. I don't recall having to actually torture anyone though. I normally just click through all the quests and don't really pay much mind to the actions. If I did, I'm sure I could see the moral disobligation as well.

Edit: However, a thought just occurred to me. The timeline is only really required for the first quest, so you could betray, do the Qeynos timeline and then do the first quest then betray back. Maybe that would work for you?
    Semperfifofum likes this.
  12. Carynn Well-Known Member

You can betray back and forth as many times as you want. There is no limit.