I Forgot the Answer to the Security Question

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Synwen, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Synwen New Member

Greetings,

I'm returning to Norrath after something like 12 years of absence, and i have a pretty big problem with my account. I come asking for help here since i had a very unpleasant conversation with the CS, hoping that someone will be able to help me.

So here's my problem, i can't access the mail tied with this account anymore and the mail in question is not even verified and to arrange my case i don't even remember the answer to my 12 years old security question. "Where were your born ?" Pretty silly right ? I were like 8 years old when i created this account and i'm sure that i put something stupid at the time, something that i will never be able to remember.

Aware of the problems that it will cause : Not being able to access the marketplace, or even simply managing my account ; i went to ask for some help from the CS but they keep asking the same question over and over without even reading what i'm writing since 3 days. "For security reasons, we are unable to address your account issues without first verifying your identity. Please respond with all of the following information:
    - Current answer to security question: Where were you born?"

Yesterday i found the old box of the "Echoes of Faydwer" expansion pack that i bought back in 2006 and was relieved to find that the CD Key of the game was still there. I thought that it will be sufficient to prove that i am the rightful owner of this account, but no ... they didn't even had a reaction about it and kept asking the same question : - Current answer to security question: Where were you born?"

I'm starting to wonder if i'm not talking with a bot. Just to be clear, i'm still able to log into the account, access the forums and play the game without any problem and i was even able to change my password without answering to the security question, but i can't change my outdated mail address or buy something in the marketplace.

Thank you for reading me and for any help that will be provided, wish ya all a great day!
  2. Xianthia Well-Known Member

When I log onto account management I'm given the option to change e-mail. I didn't follow through the steps to completion, is that where you are encountering the problem?

I'm assuming you can log into website and deal with account management since can log into game and play.

Also, have you tried to actually give the actual answer as to where you were born? (obviously don't list it here).
  3. Synwen New Member

Hello,

Thank you for your answer Xianthia. I did try to change the e-mail onto the account management section, but they ask for the answer to the security question ... I have tried countless time to answer to it with all the answers that came in my mind but it didn't work. Sadly the only way i can prove that i'm the actual owner of the account is with the CD Key i bought and by chance i still have it, but this doesn't seem to be enough (as far as i know it should be) so i don't know what to do now.
  4. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

As for the petition, once you create it, you must continue to update it, starting 1-2 hours after you submit it, even if you are just updating it stating you are a real human. The petitions do have a canned response to weed out botters and people that fix their issue and no longer require the assistance of a person, updating the petition frequently will get you to a real human that may be able to assist you.
    Xianthia, Synwen and Rosyposy like this.
  5. Synwen New Member

@Cyrrena

Oh i didn't knew that, i feel stupid now x) Thank you very much! I'll try again then.
    Rosyposy and Xianthia like this.
  6. Mercychalice Well-Known Member

Synwen, don't feel stupid.It seems nowadays, it's a long, complex process to actually get another live human in customer service, well, anywhere. It's hard to remember what our 8 year old selves would have thought of as cool, so far ago. I barely remember that year myself. It was chaotic and quite everywhere. LOL I can sincerely doubt I would have written down anything password-like, because who wants siblings to read that?! It's my lil secret! The Account Management options are not designed well either. There are no back-ups, and it's difficult to detach payment sources in favor of another. There's very much a beat-the-system feeling when it comes to managing the payment resources. Honestly, I feel that this should be redesigned to allow you to change the information at least once every 3 months. Pick a new question with a new answer, as long as you can provide the email and password. As, Cyrrena said, just keep refreshing the petition every few hours if you can to keep trying to get someone. Keep poking the bear. Shout Leeroy if you must. Just keep trying. Good luck!
    Meneltel, Synwen and Rosyposy like this.
  7. Synwen New Member

@Mercychalice

What you’re saying is quite true alas. Yes it’s difficult to remember all of that, even if I’m still young lol, it’s already an achievement for me to have remembered the actual account name and password X). The good thing about all of this is that it brings back some good memories. Everquest is one of the rare games that makes me feel nostalgic. It might sound a little bit silly but the account I’m trying to get back has sentimental value for me, that’s why I’ll keep trying to get someone to fix my problem. I won’t feel the same way about the game if I made an account from scratch without my old characters and all those little thingies. I must agree about the account management thing being really not well designed and I hope the people at Daybreak will do something about it. Anyways, thank you for the support, I’ll persevere into this process! Thanks again all for the answers! ;)
    Mercychalice likes this.
  8. Breanna Well-Known Member

Since you were 8 at the time have you tried In a Hospital LOL I don't know it sounds like something I'd say
    Mercychalice likes this.
  9. Synwen New Member

XD I didn't tried that, but you know what i'll give it a try after i get some rest, might be worth it lol
  10. Faery Member

I had the same problem and sent a mail to customer service. They kindly and fastly solved my problem .

Edit : sorry i didn't read well the white part. I guess they won't do a lot for you, i had the same problem with a gmail adress, even with the exact day and hour of creation of the mail, they kept of telling they had to verify my identity ... sigh ...
    Synwen likes this.
  11. Synwen New Member

Well, i finally came across a live human at the CS but the person asked me the same thing as the bot, just in a more civilized manner i suppose ... still not helping me. As Faery stated above, i think too that they won't do a lot for me, that's too bad cause i really wanted to get into this game again but i won't do it because of this whole situation, they just repelled me. Too much hassle for too little, especially if they don't want to help.

I'm wondering how they are keeping the users accounts safe in any way, aside by blocking them from their own account. I had similar issues in other games before, and i was able to sort them out in only a few hours and it was not as tedious as what i'm experiencing here, mainly because they asked me for other informations than just some random guesses for an outdated security question.

I didn't remembered the customer support being like this, maybe they don't have the means anymore to hire competent people or even people at all. I don't mean to be harsh but they just made me feel quite resentful.
    Juraiya and Breanna like this.
  12. Elskidorr Active Member

I went through this mess within the last couple weeks and it's a small nightmare. They really need to work on how this works and preferably get a phone number to talk to a real person, but sadly it's chaos.

I had to create a ftp separate account just to talk to a person about my real account because I could not petition until I verified my secret answer so I could then verify my email. It was enough to pull my hair out. Even then they did not allow me to verify my email until I finally and luckily guessed my secret answer, or got it close enough. Although they did not tell me which answer was correct they let me change my secret answer and then verify my email. Good luck to you dealing with all this.

You'd think if you I had access to all your bank cards you've used over the years that would be enough to prove your identity. Trying to remember the answer to a secret question you created a decade previously is rough, and if you forgot that verify your email then you're in for a real headache.
    Rosyposy and Synwen like this.
  13. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I hate to see you leave, before you go, try one last thing. Reply to the CSR, give them the CD key if you have it, the payment method used when you were 8 like visa, paypal, SOE Card not the number, give them your address when you were 8 that would have been used on the billing information, lastly give them the account name and tell them you can provide them the password if requested. Ask them to please delete the email on account management as it no longer exists and that there is no way you can possibly remember the answer to the secret question you created 10 years ago or however long ago it was. Tell them you can give them any other information, that you can even fax them a copy of your driver's license if they can forego that secret question/answer.

See if they will work with you that way as you have provided all the information required at the time of the account creation. GM Violetann is the best to talk to, she usually jumps through hoops to try and help.

Good luck and I truly hope they work with you.
    Synwen likes this.
  14. Synwen New Member

I had a really pleasant surprise by looking again at my petition, a few minutes ago a really nice person from the CS answered me to say that they decided to make an one time exception by allowing me to change my email address along with the security question. I'm really happy about it and it brings me hope about this whole situation with the CS and the security management of the Daybreak accounts. I will be able to come back to Norrath once again afterall !

I sincerely hope that people who are or will be in my situation will get their problem solved like i did. Thank you all again for your support.

@Cyrrena If it weren't for you i might have not even looked at the petition again, out of frustration. I did not had to try what you suggested to me, but thank you kindly for your help anyway, It might be useful to another person! :)

Hoping I'll see you in game! I wish ya all a great evening.
    Juraiya, Rhodris, Elskidor! and 3 others like this.
  15. Breanna Well-Known Member

Cheers :D Glad it worked out for you, and welcome back.
    Synwen and Rosyposy like this.
  16. Synwen New Member

Thank you! :D
  17. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Welcome back and I am happy that things worked out for you. Now just get in there, have fun, and play your character, your way. Enjoy the journey.
    Synwen, Meneltel and Rosyposy like this.
  18. Mercychalice Well-Known Member

It's not silly at all. Me personally, I've played since Echoes of Faydwer, and I would be crushed if I lost my account because of not being able to remember something that I created 11 years ago (I just got my lil 11 year reward, isn't that something....and exactly what we're talking about!) All of those lil quests we did, all of those events we've attended, and friends made, and titles gained, and houses, and just sheer time invested...yep. Would be totally crushed. I'm glad to read that someone was able to help you sort this. Hehe, welcome back! :)
    Synwen and Rosyposy like this.