Hyrans Angry Sonata?

Discussion in 'Dirge' started by ARCHIVED-Knoxik, Dec 10, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Knoxik Guest

I just got the ability Hyran's Angry Sonata today and the description reads: Increases target's encounter hate. However, even after using it on a mob, I've still no clue exactly what it does besides using up a much needed concentration slot. If anyone knows or figures it out drop I'd appreciate a response. :smileyindifferent:
  2. ARCHIVED-Alastor Guest

Try targetting the main tank with it. I don't have it yet, but I'm guessing that it's used to help them keep aggro.
  3. ARCHIVED-Knoxik Guest

Yeah, I thought that too, but you cant use it on other players, it only will let you use it on mobs.
  4. ARCHIVED-Fiadora-EQ Guest

You can only use it on mobs...and it increases YOUR (you, the Dirge) hate with the encounter. You can't cast it on players or you get the "This target is not an enemy" message. This is the same as the Troubador song that reduces Hate...it can only be cast on the mob and reduces the Troubador's hate with the encounter...you can't cast it on the enchanter or cleric to reduce their hate. As a Troubador, I actually use that song quite a bit when getting DPS aggro and it turns the mob back around on the tank.

I will say that if they change this song to allow a Dirge to target the main tank....then they also better change the Troubador song so they can reduce hate on the cleric or enchanter as well.
  5. ARCHIVED-Glemo Guest

so in other words, this song is useless for dirges. i get enough agro already as it is.
    oh maybe that 1 time where i need to get the mob of the healer.
  6. ARCHIVED-Tekkor Guest

Hmm...this is disappointing news. My understanding was always that this song allowed you to target a groupmate and direct more hate towards them. In fact i have read this over and over a ton of times. Are you guys sure about this?

My understanding on it was that if you use it on a mob while it is attacking the tank it will increase the mobs hate towards the tank....not towards you. It increases it on whoever it is already hitting.

I imagine this could be tested rather easily with a grey or green mob if anyone has a tank buddy. Have your tank buddy hit the mob 3 times and then stop attacking. Then you sit back and cast this over and over and see if it ever peels the mob off the tank onto you. My guess is if you fire it off a couple times you could probably beat on the creature for a while and it wont come off the tank even if he stands there.

Again....perhaps Im wrong but I have always heard beta dirges and others say this song was used to direct more hate on tanks etc...not onto ourselves.
  7. ARCHIVED-Tekkor Guest

Can we get one of the higher bards to clarify this?
  8. ARCHIVED-Fiadora-EQ Guest

Tekkor, I already answered it lol. I'm a 35 Dirge, and this song can ONLY be cast on the mob and it increases YOUR hate. It works exactly the same way as the Troubador song that reduces YOUR hate when cast on the mob.
  9. ARCHIVED-Laureous Guest

Fine, is there ANY sort of thought process that has a semblance of rationality when the developers are thinking of abilities to give us? Come on...this has to be one of the more usless songs that they thought of. Yes, I read that as well that we are supposed to be good at transferring hate, not getting more of it. We are a paper tank at best, and besides pulling aggro off the healer (which we can probably do much better by rebuffing with our normal buff songs) I really dont see any practal use for it.

I wish we knew who we could contact to get the necessary changes to the songs and abilities that we use. There are a few of them out there, such as the one song that allows you to shoot two arrows at once...forgive me, but I played around with it for about a day, but because of the long cast time I have yet to use it again; it has no point in being in the dirge's array of songs.

I would rather have more utility songs, such as water breathing, enhanced vision or any of the wide variety of other situational, but useful abilities. Frankly, with the power of song at our command, I am surprised we dont have more "sonic" type of songs, for stuns and the like.

I am only level 30, but I feel that the dirge class overall got short-changed.
  10. ARCHIVED-Yolos Guest

I have Adept I of this song and I have tried using it but it doesn't work for me. I tried pulling hate off of a inquisitor who had 75% health left. I cast the song and then spammed 4 specials. After 10 seconds, I still didn't have Hate. Inquisitor then healed himself and we finished the mob. In this little test, I wasn't able to pull hate off of another player within 10 seconds. 90% of the time, if a tank cannot get hate back in 10 seconds from a healer/caster, then the tank is either dead or the person being attacked is dead.
    I dont think this is working as intended.
  11. ARCHIVED-Jziad Guest

I suspect its broken, the rogue/brigand hate increaser is listed as targetable, don't know why ours wouldn't be.

As for the song that allows you to fire two arrows at once, well its a bard combat art, and the other scout classes get variations on it, as they get variations on quickstrike etc, allows us to share some similarity with the other scout archtypes, more utility spells would be nice, but i wouldnt want them at the expense of combat arts. I agree though, i tend to use singing shot only as i think it looks cool, plus it has a debuff type component if it actually hits lol
  12. ARCHIVED-Tekkor Guest

You guys that are high enough to have this should be bug reporting it every night when you log into the game. Tell them the song should allow you to target a groupmate but wont allow you to. Keep bugging it until you get a response.
  13. ARCHIVED-OkusSuko Guest

Hmm.. I've always used it as a hate enhancer since i got it. Wait till the targets are attacking the tank, on assisting the tank sing the sonata, cause the tank to hold better aggro cause the mobs have increased hate towards what they are currently fighting to begin with.

I've tried this, and seems to be the case. I sing the sonata, then I sing all my buffs -- and i did not pull any aggro off he tank. Without doing so, you can be sure i get aggro.

Again, this is entirely open to speculation.

Cerdinak
    35th Ratonga Dirge
    Antonia Bayle
    Message Edited by OkusSuko on 12-17-200412:18 PM
    Message Edited by OkusSuko on 12-17-2004 12:18 PM
  14. ARCHIVED-Yolos Guest

I'm not following. I think you are saying that singing the sonata puts increased Hate on the mob's current target? If so, the spell is definitely not useful unless you remove the Concentration requirement. What kind of real tank needs me to put Hate on them every fight?

I took the spell listing to mean that "I" will take Hate, even though I wish I could target someone and give them Hate. Either way, If I want hate, all I have to do is drop 2 conc points and cast the attack/debuff song. I'm guaranteed to pull all hate with that song. If I dont get it during the first 2 seconds after casting it, I can drop it and recast.

Within 6 seconds I can pull all Hate for any encounter.
    Message Edited by Yolos on 12-21-2004 06:11 AM
  15. ARCHIVED-Tekkor Guest

This is exactly how my understanding of the song worked. You would cast it after the mob was already on your tank and it would increase the hate of the mob on the "current target". This is very useful actually if it is the way it works. This would help to insure the tank doesnt lose aggro on a very difficult mob.

Last thing you want on some named or whatever is for it to jump off the tank even for a second on the healer and bash him into a greasy spot on the floor.

I plan to do alot of testing on this once I get it as it seems some people have not done that. Of course....it would be nice if a dev would just comment on how it works for sure.

The way to test it would be to have you and a tank in a group. Have the tank just walk up and kick a mob. Then he stops attacking.

Then you cast the hate song. If it works as some of you say the mob should come right to you as all the tank did was hit it once. Try hitting it a few times even and see if it stays on the tank. If it doesnt come off the tank then it is increasing the hate on the mobs current target.
  16. ARCHIVED-Fiadora-EQ Guest

There is no need to /bug it, it is working as intended. It was never intended to be targetable on the tank to increase his Hate. Just as the Troubador song was never intended to be targeted on the cleric/enchanter to reduce their hate. You don't /bug a song because you would rather it did something else...you /bug it if it isn't working at all.