How to use Ascension?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Carynn, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Carynn Well-Known Member

All right, I feel stupid, as I cannot figure out what I'm supposed to do and the guides on the wikia do not make it clear. I have talked to the Ascension master. He gave me a scroll. I click Use on the scroll and it says I "cannot take the specified amount of available ascension XP." According to the wikia, I needed to use this scroll to start earning AXP. My axp bar says 0/3M at level 1. What do I actually need to do to start earning axp? Simply go out and do the various quests/dungeons?
  2. Shmogre Well-Known Member

Hey there, Carynn...there is a good Ascension guide at http://eq2library.com/guides/ascension-system/ that might help.

A very simplistic overview: Ascension XP is a separate pool that fills in two ways: through the daily scrolls (and 5 bonus scrolls once a week) from your trainer and through passive XP earned automatically each hour. That pool is capped at a total of 7 million XP total, so if you are at or near the 7 million, you won't be able to add to the pool until you use up some of that XP.

You "drain the pool" when you earn XP normally and the XP gets applied to your Ascension leveling. When you hit the XP needed to level (in your case, when you get to 3m/3m), you talk with your trainer again to level, get your new spell(s), and be able to start on the next level. Rinse and repeat until you've finished all four ascension classes. <grin>

There is a bit more to it, but that's a very basic overview. Chances are you have hit the 7m cap; once you earn some XP and get below that pooled/banked amount, you'll be able to add the scroll to it again. It's honestly not as complicated as it first seems, but it's definitely a different mechanism than we are used to...think of it more like vitality: you build it up, then playing knocks it down. In this case, though, you get some powerful spells, a potency buff, and some jewelry for the trouble. ;)
    SierraDawn and Prissetta like this.
  3. Carynn Well-Known Member

Nope. I spoke with the master for the first time last evening. I have 0 axp. Nothing accumulated like it allegedly does like vitality (though that could be because it's early in the day still and not 24hrs later) simply for logging in like I expected. Talking to him again, he says to go away.

I'll try doing a quest and seeing if anything happens on the axp bar. As long as I don't need to scribe the scroll first, maybe it'll move. I've been screwed enough as it is with the nerf since I'm behind. :( Thanks for the link.
  4. Shmogre Well-Known Member

Hmm...if you look at your Ascension XP bar, what value do you see under the "0 / 3,000,000" line? As an example, here is the bar of one of my toons that is currently at the max 7m cap:

[IMG]

The "Guided Ascension XP Remaining" at the bottom (7m on this toon) is the number that you have in your pool, and it's the one that caps at 7m. I'm not entirely sure, but you might have been earning passive XP from the moment your toon became eligible, so even without getting scrolls, you could have banked the full 7 million.

Hopefully it does the right thing when you bext earn some xp...crossing fingers.
    Prissetta likes this.
  5. Carynn Well-Known Member

It says 7m like yours does, and current progress is 0/3m. Hopefully it will get more intuitive once I start doing things.

ETA - doing a quest changed all the numbers, to 811/3m with Guided xp 6.9k. Which now makes some sense. Thanks for the help!
    Prissetta and Shmogre like this.
  6. Shmogre Well-Known Member

Very welcome, happy ascending! :D
    Prissetta likes this.
  7. Sogapa Active Member

Carynn I would suggest not using the scrolls you get until you use all of your banked guided experience. If you aren't playing much on the toon, you can continue to gain ascension xp without actually using the scrolls. You can have up to 50 scrolls until you can no longer get another. That way if you do use all that banked xp, and you are still playing/gaining xp, you can simply use a few of the scrolls and continue to earn ascension.
    Shmogre likes this.