How to itemize a monk for survival AND holding aggro?

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by Montag, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Montag Well-Known Member

It was after following that advice that i concluded theyre inferior for heroics unless its a real tank check mob where the monks awesome temp cycle can really shine.

Also i didnt link my spec because i wasnt asking for spec advice. My spec is 99% identical to all the good monks. I was really just hoping that, (as i said in my first post) it wasnt just that i needed to stat like an autoattack scout, like grasping that it really couldnt be that drastically inferior compared to how the four plate tanks can all hold agro with abilities alone and that monks literally needed twice the reforge stats to be half as easy to tank and hold agro with.
  2. Sylke Well-Known Member

I don't mean to be offensive, but how else would you set up your stats other than as an "autoattack scout"?

As far as single target threat output, I can't imagine Monks are far behind plate tanks. Sure, they might have issues with large pulls, but no real difference from Guardians there. At least, that's been my experience when DPSing for various tanks.
  3. Simien Active Member

Ok are you running SF zones? 0 dps, haha. 1st off good luck gearing a toon and having 0 dps mod, you can't do it. 2nd either the group you run with does very very, I mean very little dps or you just aren't being honest.

Monks have same mitigation as plate, more avoidance then plate and in most cases generate more hate then plate. I know my Monk's Threat (out) in act almost doubles any other tank we may have in raid which is usually Zerker, Pally. But hey, just not your play style I guess.

Like I said earlier, best of luck to you.
  4. Genghes Active Member

I'm pretty sure he is looking for advice.....not criticism. I'll dig in tomorrow when I get some free time and help you out. Even though I play bruiser both classes can gear the same.
  5. Silzin Active Member

Your DPS mod, Haste and MA will effect your Hate generation, sure. But over 50% of my over all Hate Generation comes from Dragons Rage and Hostility, so if you are not speced right then holding agro with any Gear will seem much harder then it should. 100% AoE Auto will help a lot since the 2 Agro Procs can trigger on everything that way. mu Auto Attach does not contribute a huge % to my Hate Gain directly its the fact i know what i am doing and everything together.
  6. Montag Well-Known Member

My plate tanks all have jack squat melee stats and have far fewer problems with agro. They hold agro with abilities with essentially no melee stats, like 200 dps 100 haste 50 MA and 100 ae auto.

Monk sacrifices some mit to have "Scout like" auto attack stats has like 900 dps and plenty of haste/ma/100ae and still sucks one anything more than 3-4 mobs.
  7. Montag Well-Known Member

Ya well zero was an exaggeration. But they have very little, like 200 ish or whatever i couldn't reforge out of.
  8. Montag Well-Known Member

I'm totally open to the possibility that I totally don't know what I'm doing as far as actual mechanics of holding agro with a monk.

But I'm specced the same as all the good monks. With max points in dragons rage and hostility etc.

I think I'm just blown away that monks need twice the reforge stats of any plate tank and have so very little for AE agro.
  9. Montag Well-Known Member

Paladin = Amends the right person and your done. Holy ground and whatever the other is called if you need more.

SK = Stat like a mage and spam spells

Berserker = Stat liek a mage and spam CAs

Monk = Have twice the reforge stats so your auto generates more hate and cycle thru the mobs non stop autoing each sub-encounter. Twice the stats needed, 5 time more target cycling needed, half the aoe hate. Just inferior for aoe by far.

Clearly seems better single target/single encounter tho very little agro problems there and with a temp cycle on par with a guard. :) Too bad 90% of time is spent on trash :(
  10. Sylke Well-Known Member

So your real issue is holding aggro on multiple (4+) mobs. I will agree that, from my experience, Brawlers and Guardians seem to struggle the most with this. Part of this comes down to class/role design, but I know that some can do decently well in these situations. Having not played the class, I can't offer much insight, sadly.

I will offer that making sure your DPS target through you does help, to an extent.
    I assume you run with 100% AE auto and a fair amount of hate mod?

If you run with specific people normally, you might ask some of the DPS to use some -hate adorns, if they're not already. You don't really lose much of importance by using 3 of these, as a DPS.
  11. Genghes Active Member

Auto helps hold agro, but abilities, aas and item effects keep agro on you. If you have sufficient potency, cb, and crit chance agro will be much easier. For melee stats: 500-600dps mod, ~15-20% accuracy, 60-100% strike through, 150-200 multi attack, ~50% ae auto. Using your single target and encounter taunts when they are up do wonders. Save a snap for when a dps spikes.

Now if you wanna betray to bruiser then I can help ya 100% ;-)
  12. Genghes Active Member

Oh and tabbing through targets and taunting on ae pulls help a ton
  13. Genghes Active Member

Monks are similar to guardians on single target agro. Bruiser are similar to berzerkers on ae agro. Ps bruisers are great for st and aoe agro :)
  14. Sylke Well-Known Member

Cool, my experience with the Brawlers is completely limited to having them tank for me. One of the few class types I've not played :oops:
  15. Genghes Active Member

They are fun, but require paying attention :)
  16. Silzin Active Member

Good Point Genghes, I use my Taunts over any other attack. Remember the do more Damage Per Casting Speed then any other attack we have other then Bone Crusing Combination (Spelling). on top of that they do a tun of threat.
  17. Simien Active Member

18. xkrisx Well-Known Member

My wil ol Bruiser does just fine in Heroic and Raid content. Have him sitting in nothing but heroic gear aside from my main hand. he has 607 DPS / 300~ Haste / 100% Strike Through / 70% Accuracy / 85% Hate Gain / 65% Casting-Reuse " I use temp adorns to get to 100% " / 60% Flurry / Sit around 6.4 Million HP and 23k Mitigation. I have MTd everything we have killed so far and have tanked every heroic zone. I can honestly auto attack and hold agro single target. Mass pulling can be tricky if you dont tab through the encounter, use your taunts and don't offload your entire arsenal of snaps on pull.

The fact you say that playing a Brawler takes twice the reforge stats as a plate tank and is SOOO much harder to tank and hold agro on then a plate tank tells me 1 of 2 things. Your not reforged / specced / and geared properly, or you just really don't know how to play a brawler. The only tank out there that I would possibly say is hands down easier to play then any other tank out there, is a Zerker. So yes, if your comparing yourself to playing a Zerk then sadly you are correct, but comparing to any other tank out there, it is not hard or easier to play one over the other, its just personal choice.
  19. Lea Plath Active Member

So I'm having some trouble with my monk.

Tanking and holding aggro I am fine. The only zone I struggle with being Bar Brawl due to tab targetting not working as often as I would like it due to the way the mobs "die".

But my DPS is lacking. http://u.eq2wire.com/soe/character_detail/450971833861 is my character, with current gear and set up AA wise.

I'm thinking if I run like 5-6 pieces of mitigation gear, 1-2 pieces of weapon damage DPS gear, reforge to max out my casting stats, and give myself casting speed adorns for doublecast (but before I do that I would like to see proof that you can double cast dragonfire).

AA wise, I like having Bob and Weave, especially for flop farming, but thinking I drop that for Waveform (my surviability is generally fine), rejig out of potency, into crit bonus, etc.

Anyone have any good examples of a monk and current monk AA spec which might help?
  20. xkrisx Well-Known Member

I play a Bruiser so my AA Spec wouldnt help ya out any.. but as for gear.
    If your wanting to bump your DPS some, I would say try to aquire a Lacerator or the collection quest reward with Early Advantage on it. I know its artificial increase because its just a relatively large damage proc but it does help. I also run an Amplifying Combination and Staggered Combination ring to give me some of that needed WDB and Potency/Crit Bonus. A couple of the effects your using are situational and maybe carrying a few swap pieces are needed. The Prismatic Reaction finger is nice, but situational at best considering the ward from it is marginally good as it is. I would also look into replacing your charm.. the Dark Locust is not a very good item and could be swapped with something that has either a defensive clicky on it or some DPS oriented aspects.. You could also try to farm / buy a Kerafym Rights charm for added HP and STR.

Sorry if I sound scattered. Its early in the morning for me at work and still working on my first pot of coffee.