How to itemize a monk for survival AND holding aggro?

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by Montag, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Montag Well-Known Member

Having a hard time holding agro at all in solo/heroic mit/block gear and jewellery. Especially on aoe pulls. It's to the point I don't even wanna play the monk and end up just sticking with one of my plate tanks 99.9% of the time.

I'm sure it's more than just that I'm wearing turtle gear, like I think I'm missing some core concept on holding aoe agro. Is it really that I need auto attack stats like a scout plus tank stats and mad strike thru and then still have to single snap adds that pull out of the pile onto the aoe dps? Is it never mass pull on a monk without swash transfer and plinks in the group?

I'll take any advice I can get cause I love everything about the class except I can't hold agro. Whereas I have no problem holding it on any similar geared warrior or crusader.
  2. xkrisx Well-Known Member

It could be a combination of things that are causing you grief but couple questions to narrow the list down. What class are you comparing yourself too and whats your characters name/server so we can look you up.

The reason I ask is, if your comparing your Monk to an SK / Palli / Zerk then thats your problem. Those three classes will have a hands down easier job at holding mass pulls vs any other tank. I am not saying that its impossible on other tanks but its definitely easier.

Strike Through is a huge thing for Melee Based Tanks for holding agro. Sadly Brawlers CA's still do jack **** for DPS compared to Auto Attack and Procs. On my Bruiser, I run 100% Strike Through and ~ 70% Accuracy. Its actually really easy to hit 100% ST and 50% Accuracy with just using some Purple Accuracy Runes.

Secondly, AE Auto Attack is pretty big for holding large crowds. Either make sure to spec Crane Flock and always have it up for big pulls or Reforge into 100% AE Auto and call it done.

Thirdly, pick up a couple Molten Detonation procs for AOE Damage or run Virulent Ire proc items. For monk, there is a Mitigation Ranged that drops from Rise to Power Advanced Solo.

Couple of pointers... Learn to tab target or click target through the entire encounter so your AE Auto is spread out to more then just 4 mobs. Dont unload all of your stuff in one fail swoop, use Mantis Leap then wait for Agro Trouble and use Provoking Stance with some Taunts and stuff to get agro. Offloading your entire arsenal on pull is great for initial agro but after the fight goes, your gonna loose agro if you have nothing else left to throw at it. If your still having a hard time, pick up the Master Crafted Charm from last expac with the AOE Snap on it.

Disclaimer : I play a Bruiser by the name of Yack on AB. I am a good tank but even I have my off days and some groups are just not built for a brawler. Everyone has their own opinions on how to tank and whos the best so my point of views and suggestions wont always be the same as others but hey, it works for me pretty well so why not someone else.
    Liou_Unrest likes this.
  3. Liou_Unrest Active Member

I am happy to share what I know, but remember, I do think Beastlords have utility/place in raid so you have been warned ;)
  4. Ansom Active Member

you shouldn't need "full turtle" aa / gear for tank most of the heroic / event. Is very easy make some secondary set with more tank stuff, and change if you die to fast. In any case, only because a item have some mit/block don't mean is good for tank hard stuff, or good for do anything, like the wrist from the meta collection.

For mass pull you need to hit the mob before other player, or dps/utility will start to grow agro. The hit should be big enough to outparse the healer "agro".

The charm "Charm of Bound Flame" can help a little bit. In some case you can use Dragonfire (with the reset aa) for pull.

A last little tips: with the prestige tree we have some buff on cb/pot/wdb, i usually use a temp for "charge" the buff and after start the taunt/aoe CA chain.
  5. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

Make sure you have good +hate gain as well. People underestimate just how useful it is.
    Liou_Unrest and Koko like this.
  6. Koko Well-Known Member

Seconding this, and adding how powerful -%hategain is for non-fighters. It is essentially 'free' to pick up -25% hategain these days.

"Monk tips" are get 100% hategain and ride Dragon Rage to victory. Monks are fairly limited as far as AE threat is concerned, and are essentially limited to 5 (AE Auto) ~ 8 (limited blues) targets. Warriors are a bit better with Plant/a lot more blues and can pull off 8 reliably. Crusaders have de-limited AEs (no target cap) which makes them quite powerful in AE threat.
  7. Montag Well-Known Member

That's very big of you :) I think I'm gonna start by just setting up his autoattack last a last expac ranger and see how that goes. I'm trash on monk tho so I'll take any advice you wanna throw out there.
  8. Reevar Active Member

Step 1 : Tell your group to wait until you are done pulling before attacking.
    Step 2 : Tell the guy that died on pull that he needs to make sure his auto attack is off because you hadn't actually started pulling.
    Step 3 : Explain to the Sorc/Summoner that just died that he probably should not tab target the mob behind him and let go of that AE
    Step 4 : Go to Step 1

Also what everyone else said 100% ae Auto and lots of + hate helps.
    Moonpanther, Jaden and Liou_Unrest like this.
  9. Silzin Active Member

I like most all of the advice up here.

1st +Hate Gain is King. make sure u have an item or 2 that you can swap in to get you Hate Gain Up as needed. you do not need over 100% but with group buffs you want to be up near it.

2nd I recommend skipping Crane Flock and just getting 100% AoE Auto, its not hard to do. trust me it will help.

3rd, get 10 points in Hostility. this will do most of your AoE Agro work for you in combination with the 100% AOE Auto.

4th if you do not have it get 100% Reuse, if needed use the Temp Infused Fortitude items from the Merchant next to the weekly quest giver.

5th Look over my Monk Tanking Guide i put together about a year ago. Link Below. I know i need to update it for ToT but most everything there should help you if you are new to tanking on a Monk.

6th if you are feeling Squishy get some of the +24% Max Health these can let you swap out some of the turtle gear for better stats if needed.

Lastly as others said, what is our Name and surver and we can help you more.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/monk-tanking-guide-and-faq.557831/
  10. Simien Active Member

Pull the group then cycle through the mobs while Mantis leap is running and casting your 3 AE's. Mantis leap will help to prevent early aggro rip from trigger happy dps.

2nd, 100% AE auto should be a no brainer. Get it.

3rd 100% Hate just in case your group does not have dirge/coe

4th I agree with Silzin, 10 points in Hostility (heroic tab AA) Also master Dragon rage, it is by far your biggest threat output other then snaps.

5th Strikethrough 100% imo, Accuaracy 20-50%

6th Don't forget to taunt...hit them between combination chain's. Punch, Jab, Kick, taunt, Punch, Jab, Kick, Taunt...etc..

Tabbing through targets can be bad in raid but you are talking heroic zones. I usually tab through mobs just to make sure i still have hate, along with watching groups health to see if I have lost one and might need to Intercept and rescue. INTERCEPT? What is that? Yeah...use it please.

Also, like Ansom already stated. Prestige AA for Dragon reset is nice for AOE hate and dps. I don't know that I would spec full right side but a combination of left and right for the reset is helpful in heroics.

, Malice of Lanys charm(AoM) is still very nice and a huge help for aoe snaps and 40% dmg reduction. Nice item I wish they would have upgraded it for ToT.

One last thing, if your walking around with low DPS, Haste and Multi Attack. Fix that, dmg always helps hate. Shoot for 600, 200, 100.

You have a lot of information here from everyone. Get to work!! :)

Good luck.
  11. Simien Active Member

One other thing. You don't have to mass pull 15-20+ mobs all the time. Pull at your own pace. You will get better and be able to pull more as you progress with your monk.
    Sylke likes this.
  12. Sylke Well-Known Member

Not much annoys me more than a tank that pulls more mobs than they can keep aggro on. Just because you can survive through them all doesn't mean you need to pull them all.
  13. Montag Well-Known Member

I appreciate the advice here and ive implemented it and had some success, i think hes now officially heroic viable but its just ten times more effort required vs any plate tank. By giving up some mit ive been able to hit stats in line with what people here have recommended. Ran some zones with a strong healer and it went pretty well, then ran some with a weak healer and it was very ugly.

With the strong healer i has time to get mobs back when theyd peel off onto the beastlord or lock, with the second healer they just died, as did i if i didnt cycle temps like i was rad main tanking. On any of my plate tanks it would have been a non-issue.

The feeling im getting is that for heroics, monk is just straight up inferior to all the plate tanks. Even statted like a scout the dps is not any better than pally and trash compared to sk, and the only real advantage vs sk/pal is a stronger temp cycle vs tank check mobs, which i dont see much of in heroics.

In a raid, judging by their kit, im betting theyre probably as good a mt choice as a guardian, or close, as long as theres a berzerker or crusader offtank for big aoe pulls and trash, or mad swashy trasnfer.

I guess bruiser has it a little easier on aoe agro at the cost of a weaker temp cycle, but still, from a min/max perspective why bother when you could play a crusader or warrior and just make it all ten times simpler.
  14. Ansom Active Member

Monk inferior to all plate tanks for heroics? :confused: All tank can easy destroy any heroic (ok, some magic damage can be.. not funny, like tepid), even in mastercrafted gear without effort.

In any case, agro, for any tank (without agrotrasfert) is pretty hard hold mob with 150mil dps if the tank have.. 10mil dps, without support class. Even for a pally is not simple old agro with 2/3 strog dps in a grp without agro support in a full tank setup and low personal dps.

Of course.. if you like pull half heroic at the time.. maybe with a aoe tank the work is easier. I personally can't pull many mob for crap internet connection and old computer.. :oops:

Monk can do DPS (while tanking, of course), but you need some "mage" stats too, because dragonfire (and taunt) can doublecast. I can do easy 40mil with the right grp.. (without DoW, other 100mil with DoW).

uhm, not sure if anyone have already talk about the doublecast stats.. but taunt can doublecast. Sadly the cloak/belt from the current expa don't have flurry/DC at the same time.. But the neck from the quest Achievements (Crystallized Cosgrove Pendant) can help a little bit.

Not sure if you have already wrote... but what is your monk name?
  15. Simien Active Member

I hit all stats mentioned and can still stack mitigation if I choose to 26k self buffed. However I keep it around 22-23.

Inferior? Hell no, Zerker/Monk are the top tanks imo.

You started this thread asking questions about how to better hold aggro, and were offered plenty of advice. 2 days later you conclude they are inferior? I am guessing it is you and not the class.

For the 3rd time requested in this thread, what is your Monk's name? We can look up your toon and help you with set up.
  16. Silzin Active Member

Since we do not have your Monks Name so i can not look up your AA Spec i will recommend that you just copy 2 of my AA Specs. You need to for the times that you are with a Weak healer or running a hard zone for our gear level and times that you are running a easy zone and or a good healer. there are some Customizable points within the AA and Prestige trees but i will recommend you start off by copying my HardTanking Spec for the Hard times and my MixedTanking Spec for most of the time tanking.

to find these click on my character profile in my sig. if you have questions about specific points spent please ask, but it will help with your survivability and dps over all.
  17. Montag Well-Known Member

Thanks again for all the advice, it definitely helped a lot. Mostly just accepting the fact that it's not gonna be as easy as it is for any plate tank and that I need to have melee stats like an autoattack scout.
  18. Ansom Active Member

honestly, I feel bad smell of trolls o_O
    Simien likes this.
  19. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

Zerker/SK - Faceroll Left to Right at high speed.
    Guard/Pally - Faceroll Left to Right at slow speed.
    Monk/Bruiser - Faceroll across part of keyboard, stop for 10s, roll again, repeat.
    Genghes likes this.
  20. Montag Well-Known Member

Not sure why you would think im trolling, lol. I really do appreciate the advice. And i think what i said was pretty accurate. I can hold agro on any plate tank with, literally, 0 dps mod, 200 haste and 100 multi and ae auto, but with the monk i need scout-like autoattack stats and even then its five times more effort.