how to get less agro?

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-jseber1982, Nov 11, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-jseber1982 Guest

I have cat like reflexes maxed, evasive maneuvers, evade, the other CA that decreases threat, and i use the deagro poison.
    ughhh. within like 3 secs i have to stop attacking because i am at 100% agro. Any tips or items i can get to help out? am lvl90.

thnx
  2. ARCHIVED-Brook Guest

Leave your arrows in the bank.
  3. ARCHIVED-Pattywak Guest

One of the best tips I got early on was to wait for the tank to get agro, then start with my lowest hitting CAs and work my way to the hardest hitting. The other thing is making sure any deagro spells other people can get you are on you, both chanters have deagros that help, amends, etc. If you still have problems make sure your tank is taunting, I know several that I run with don't usually and I have to remind them when I'm there. If you're in better gear than the tank then there will be problems no matter what you do.
  4. ARCHIVED-jseber1982 Guest

Just realized that the tank last night was in lvl 90 MC gear.. that probably didnt help any
  5. ARCHIVED-Umub Guest

Another good way to reduce your aggro is to use deaggro adornments. You can put them on wrist items and gloves. This can reduce your aggro by up to 15%. Add some yellow deaggro adornments and you can reduce it even farther.
    Some other ideas:
    1. Start the fight with debuffs or long cast CAs (like crippling arrow) to give the tank some time to get aggro. Otherwise, one auto attack can easily grab aggro.
    2. Time evasive manuevers (on named fights anyway). I will make sure that evasive maneuvers is up and then go through my biggest hitters with PFT running knowing that I will grab aggro then hit evasive maneuvers.
    3. Make friends with a paladin. If the paladin puts amends on you and knows how to at least mash some buttons you should be golden.
  6. ARCHIVED-Taemien Guest

I keep a shield handy on my ranger. If I take agro and the tank just can't get it off, put up defensive and shield and it might keep you alive if your healer realizes whats going on.
    If you're decently geared and not in one of the heavier instances, you can do quite well and embarass the tank into doing better. I don't usually run with deagro poison and can go almost full tilt with most tanks. The ones I rip agro from on a regular basis have less mitagation/avoidance then me so it doesn't really matter if I pull threat. That only really works in places like RH, Lib, ect. Maybe non-bosses in Cella and beyond. Though anything that two shots me, will two shot the tank if they don't have the gear to hold threat, so it really doesn't matter at that point.
  7. ARCHIVED-Neiloch Guest

Evilturnip@Everfrost wrote:
    Yep, that's a core flaw in aggro mechanics. the tank will have to be basically geared out as well as you or better to have any hope of keeping aggro. Your doing everything else right in terms of abilities to deaggro. Beyond that you simply have to start doing less DPS. Like switching to defensive stance and doing little to no more than auto attacking.
  8. ARCHIVED-jseber1982 Guest

less dps.. ughh.
    Was grouped last night and i had to stop attacking after like 3 seconds. Meanwhile the assassin in our group just dished it and dished it out.... wish i had agro transfer. THat was after i put on the 3 deagro adorns
  9. ARCHIVED-Neiloch Guest

Well ever since a rat insisted on pointing out deaggros being "op'd" they're back to being completely useless except for the positional deaggro of evasive maneuvers. Rogues still can't hope to match a good predators DPS though with the change, as it should be.
  10. ARCHIVED-Sydares Guest

Have fettering on instead of bliss. That way, if the thing starts after you, the tank has time to rescue it off or you have time to evasive maneuver it. It's far more useful with crummy tanks than bliss.
  11. ARCHIVED-Motzi Guest

Sydares wrote:
    In my experience, there is some truth to this.
  12. ARCHIVED-Gladiolus Guest

Tootles@Unrest wrote:
    There is, but there are also tanks that complain if you use it, as the mob takes too long to get to within range.
  13. ARCHIVED-Neiloch Guest

Ignorant bliss isn't going to fix any aggro problems you have. Its more or less there to further help manage your aggro after you already have it low. At best it takes a small edge off your aggro. If your with a good tank/group you might not need it at all.
    For me it comes down to either just lopping off huge parts of my rotation and gimping my DPS. Or just saying "f' it" going into defensive stance, turning off deaggros outright and just tanking.