how to disable the game from opening the membership page

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by mrswebster9847, Apr 14, 2020.

1. mrswebster9847 Member

Is there a way to disable the game from opening my web browser and directing to the eq2 membership page (besides becoming a member)? I have multiple accounts, and yes there are days where I do log into all of them, so it gets pretty annoying having the membership page pop open repeatedly.
  2. Faery Member

You can already use those accounts for free, aren't you too demanding? Take membership for those too so you won't have those problems anymore.
    Raff likes this.
  3. Tkia Well-Known Member

No, it's not demanding at all. There's nothing worse when it's late at night and you're tired and trying to shut down to go to bed to have some programme busy opening more windows without any leave. There are far better ways to advertise than this obnoxious in-your-face behaviour and most of them are far less likely to **** off the customers you are desperately trying to sell to.

To the OP: the only way I ever found to stop it was to get my firewall to block the eq2 program from opening other programs. But for that you need a fairly sophisticated and controllable firewall program.
  4. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

i am using now https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dont-visit-block-sites/olccdihofjbikcpbejfgipnighnpabai or https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/dont-visit/?src=search The page that will replace will open faster. As a result - it will be less annoying.. You can also use/select an empty file (which will not start) instead of default browser. But this is suitable for Windows 7 or lower (or Linux, etc.). For Windows 8 or higher, you will need to additionally edit registry. Also recommendation from Tkia, but these are paid programs that also require certain level of user training for comfortable work with this. Although.. Maybe Zone Alarm (https://www.zonealarm.com/software/free-firewall) will do? It's relatively simple..
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Tkia like this.
  5. Corydonn Well-Known Member

This is a horrible take. These intrusive ads have been in game since 2010 when EQ2X was a thing and most of the nickle and dimeing pop-ups just feel horrible inside the game and since you get a become a member pop-up after about 3 minutes of play in game I don't think there is a need for the game to open your web browser. I would be willing to bet money there were potential players interested in EQ2 that have uninstalled the game after it opened a pop-up when they logged off from trying the game the first few times. It comes from a time where every time you died and tried to repair SC cash options would pop up and try and prompt the player to purchase a resurrect or a 100 SC repair cost of a few silver.

The pop-up should have been gone -years- ago.
  6. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

When some are trying to sell to you something constantly annoying with reminders, this is unlikely to contribute to desire to buy, rather opposite. Moreover, even if you buy, they are won’t stop bothering you with about purchase of something else. Anyway, best solution is to abandon default browser function for your operating system. Use/write in address for opening an unexecutable empty file. Launch browser from shortcut
  7. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I just close the browser before the page fully loads. I'm over 70 years of age and its not a big deal to me.
  8. mrswebster9847 Member

To be more specific, I've been playing eq2 for 14 years. I have over 100 characters spread across 20 accounts. My main account has a lifetime membership. I think it's safe to say I'm familiar with the perks of having a membership and that I plan on playing the game for a long time. Like I said, some days I log into all 20 accounts, so forgive me for being a little annoyed at 19 browser tabs opening on my computer.
  9. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

10. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I have 9 accounts, one is all access... I just deal with it.

I've survived a hurricane at sea, and several hurricanes ashore. A browser opening is much less of a problem.
  11. Tkia Well-Known Member

Nobody said it wa an earth shattering problem. It is however, an unnecessary and obnoxious annoyance particularly when it actively prevents you from doing something else totally unrelated to the game
  12. Occam Well-Known Member

I completely agree that they're annoying, but look at it this way...
    You have NINETEEN FREE ACCOUNTS!!! All they ask is you accept a browser popup. Any way you look at it, that's a staggeringly great deal.
    Edelphia, Feara, Melt and 1 other person like this.
  13. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Its to encourage you to change them to all access. It doesn't serve any other purpose that i know of.

I just close the browser, or use the browser for something else. Like logging into here.

When it pops up in front of everything else, thats a Windows effect, a decision by Microsoft.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Soara2 like this.
  14. Tkia Well-Known Member

And it works so well that I abandonned all the free accounts that I was spending money on in the cash shop so they lost a fair bit of revenue there.
    When it's 2am in the morning and I have to get up in less than 5 hours I don't want my shutdown command interrupted and have to sit here on a slow machine waiting for the browser to get opened far enough for me to BE ABLE to close it and re-issue the command the machine was supposed to be following, which is what was happening on a regular basis.
    Which is just one of the reasons why I detest Microsoft. They need to learn the meaning of the phrase 'background process' and the fact that I control my machine, not them.
  15. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I have unplugged my Ethernet connection to the internet. Closed anything I need to close, then shutdown.

My Ethernet/Internet is on the front of my computer, so its easy to access.
  16. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

I think there’s no need even so to edit registry (I don’t remember where I read this).
    Perhaps should work idea like:
    1) Install any web browser that you will not use.
    2) Change default web browser on system by specifying this other web browser.
    3) Find in installation directory file that launches it (with extension .exe) - that is, launcher for this browser. Replace this file with an empty file, naming it same way and assigning it same extension as original.
    An empty file is created simply - executable file is opened in notepad, then all info from file is deleted and file is saved. Same permissions are required as for installing a web browser. Or replace with an empty file with same name and file extension. Only question is whether you need a default web browser on your system. I could not come up with any reason why this is need.
    I think this should work on any Windows, and you don’t need to do anything else. Because Windows is scarcely likely to check third-party files for their aptitude to run, as in this game. Windows checks only operating system files (including its built-in web browser) so that they are not replaced. Third-party files of programs are not checked by system conformity to originals. I don’t do this because I don’t use Windows (only additionally, on netbook, but there this game will not start). In Linux, of course, this should not be a problem (except for ineptitude or unwillingness of user). I have so - when I go out of game then it game open this intrusive page, and without fail only in web browser, which I set as default. That is, I decide in which browser this will open after game and whether this will open. I’m just curious to always know if they have lowered prices - that's why I don’t remove it away..
  17. mrswebster9847 Member

But that's the problem, it's not "A" browser pop up, it's 19 browser pop ups. I would be totally fine if it only happened once.
  18. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

I don't like that whenever I exit game my monitor screen lights up suddenly a bright light while browser starts to show what I know by heart. I then sit and blink, blinded.. perhaps it can be with others, so I said how I think you can solve this problem
  19. Crock Member

There is a way to stop Daybreak's Everquest II starting up your main browser, although my experience is only based on Comodo Internet Security (which is a pain to use in Windows 10, just to mention it). But I'm sure similar programs can do that as well, all you need is your HIPS / Firewall choice of a program do blocking Everquest2.exe from starting the "browser" process (Firefox in my case) being started right after closing EQ2.exe. Options vary from program to program, but shouldn't be too difficult to find out.
  20. mrswebster9847 Member

It took me a while but I think I finally got it figured out. Thank you.