How to combat In house lighting???

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Rushd, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Rushd Active Member

Anyone know of any tricks other than swamping a zone with "other" lighting and adjusting settings? Item count is at a premium and asking visitors to change their settings shouldn't be necessary.

I'm hoping Devs will add a capability to turn off lighting in a home if one so desires, but I know that might be a tall order. I'm also not sure if this is needed in any other homes other than the Kerafyrm House. It appears to me that they left the Center platform lighting from the Sleepers tomb in place when they created the home, and I have to tell you it's a horrendous yellow orange that completely washes out everything close to its source. The lighting from the crystal platforms is fine though, although I personally think it would be better to match the light with the crystals instead of that warm yellow/orange.

Is there a way to find the source location and be able to "block" it out that anyone knows of?
  2. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Gah, not entirely sure. :-/

One thing I'll ask visitors in a House Book to do is either leave on their Personal Torches or turn them off; usually the latter, depending on the effect I'm going for. But I don't think that's what you mean... :-/

I'm not familiar with the Karafyrm house, but if it's like the Qeynos houses, it might not be possible to shut off the "default" light unless you reskin the place with like really thick Blocks (not Half Blocks, not Dividers, but BLOCKS), but I'm not sure if even that would help. In the Qeynos places, it does change direction, intensity, brightness, etc., depending on what time of day it is and where the "windows" are facing (Eastern windows, for example, get more, brighter, direct sun ray, etc. light coming into the room in the morning; the angle of the light coming in, the amount, the relative brightness, etc. changes with noon, afternoon [when the Western windows get more light], etc. until nightfall, when I think they go back to being opaque. But that's rude to ask your visitors to come back later...); I'm not sure what it does in the Kerafyrm place, or if that light is affected by time of day; i.e., like it's coming in from the outdoors.

One thing you might try is a "shines brightly" type of light with a bluish-white light near a yellow/orange light source (like a sodium streetlight in RL?) to try to counteract the shade?

Uwk
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  3. Rushd Active Member

The Kerafyrm house is way too big to be using blocks unfortunately. It's an indoor property and the lighting doesn't seem to change at all, even the new light beam which was another disappointment I found. It's a copy of the zone called Sleeper's Tomb and is awarded when you complete an achievement for chronoportal event. In 1 version of sleepers tomb Kerafyrm is held in slumber under a huge bubble. I'm guessing the affects of that "bubble shield" is what I am dealing with. On one hand, the lighting for outside of my castle is helpful, but inside of it it ruins my design by washing all of the color out. I've experimented with Blessed sconces/braziers of fear, adamantine braziers, new light sources... all with mixed results.

The frustrating thing is when I think I have "fixed" the problem, I change camera angles and boom... orange/yellow yuckiness all over again. I can maintain side rooms further away, but closer to the source light its increasingly frustrating. I was hoping that the Tinkered light port tiles would help but they are not a source of light and only look good when I'm in a camera angle that shows it as dark. Once servers are up, I'll do a short video of what is going on. I set my lighting to 4 and that helps a lot, but does not prevent that light 100%
    Dude, Cyrrena and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  4. Rushd Active Member

5. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Hmm...so, that's ambient lighting? Oog... :-/

Yeah, it'd be nice if we had some indoor "weather control" for a house like that, since we essentially do for the Storm Tower, the Galleon of Dreams, the Haunted House (complete with "yard" and "pond"), and others...let's face it, even if they're set "outside," all of it is still "in a house" according to game mechanics.

So, how 'bout it, devs? Dimmer switch? ;->

Seriously, Rushd, you might want to shift this thread over to the Wishlists stuff we have here; they do actually check that stuff out, and we've gotten many a thing from them. :)

Uwk
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  6. Rushd Active Member

Tried using stone dais where I think the source is and that didn't work at all. trying Goahmari Meditation pit now, it partially blocks it out. Maybe Ill play with a few of those in the ceiling and see if that works.
  7. Rushd Active Member

Well I've tried the brightest sconces and braziers at each of the Bollards .... I am somewhat successful, but still getting bleed through on certain camera angles and places. That's 28 bollards with 28 lighting sources + 2 at the center, I cannot afford that item count for a less than perfect solution. Ceiling lighting does close to nothing for it as I think the new source lighting is just too far away to prevent that bleed through. On the ground though I was able to create a circular pattern of braziers that worked perfectly. The only thing left to try is widening the center cross walk and try creating another circular pattern of braziers. Uggggh - then I'll have to figure out support structure because it will look weird. I tried already to just float some of the same braziers up to the 2nd level but it didn't work either. I think I have to live with it. If anyone else has something worth trying please let me know. :)
  8. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yeah, even if the devs come up with a solution to that, it might be relatively far in the future. :-/

Can't think of anything else, myself, but anyone else should be free to chime in with suggestions?? o_O

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  9. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Could you perhaps use blocks and just stretch them up and enclose that circular tile and make bypass walkways around it?

I have that house, but honestly, I haven't done anything with it.
    Breanna and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.