HOW TO CLEAR THE OBULUS FRONTIER BOAT KEY QUEST IN UNDER 5 MINUTES.

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Kielex, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Naneeje Well-Known Member

THIS! Is why I love this game. The behind the scenes folks are the best.
    Griffon Lady likes this.
  2. Twisty Well-Known Member

@Chrol make it happen pretty pls?! <3 just add another version with a timer 1min less, nothing else different. make it reward more coins, and/or add a heroic random-loot reward box like u get at end of any heroic zone

ripe opportunity to create much needed challenging content with appropriate reward, and easy peasy to make it too; low hanging fruit.
    Griffon Lady likes this.
  3. Twisty Well-Known Member

@kielex you dont need to slow-down past captain on way out in box after fire and use the wind force, luke (on the mast) ;) you'll shave off another 20s.

dont need to kick lookouts off even if u dont
    Griffon Lady and Lateana like this.
  4. Aivet Well-Known Member

Thanks for this, Kielex. Still haven't managed it, but I get further each time, so it's just a matter of practice.

2 Further tips I can add:

1. An enduring second breakfast tea from the provisioner cart adds a further 5% to your speed. Probably won't make much difference, but along with the sabertooth totem and guild buff, it puts me at 90% run speed.
    2. Don't try doing this during a hayfever attack. I literally sneezed myself to prison. :D
    Griffon Lady, Lateana and Adevil like this.
  5. Catin of Runnyeye Member

This is a ridiculous quest. If I wanted to play "Sneak 'em up" I'd play "Sneak 'em ups" if I have to do this quest I'll quit EQ2

Catin of Runnyeye
  6. Billzbub Active Member

You have to do the untimed version of this quest for the signature lines, but the timed quest is only for the key quest version. You don't have to ever do the timed version if you don't want because there are other key quests you can do instead.
  7. Observing Active Member

The captain sees me 100% of the time, even when it seems to me he no longer has LOS. And if you get caught at all, you might as well ring the bell...
    CoLD MeTaL likes this.
  8. Scalo Active Member

Current top time is 1:29 before timer ^^
  9. Azian Well-Known Member

Twisty, what do you mean by the part I've bolded above? How do you use the wind?

I can get this done but you guys are WAAAAAY faster than me. I've got work to do!
  10. Twisty Well-Known Member

fly baby, fly. it's an advanced super-mario technique tho, try at risk of guaranteed mission fail
  11. Kielex Well-Known Member

Glad this is still getting traction. Saw it get posted on eq2library, Super happy :) 800 views now!
  12. Vogie Active Member

I must be a bad flyer :( I've tried twice now and both times I get tossed right off the front and into the water lol.
    santargria likes this.
  13. Twisty Well-Known Member

i
    i can do it about 3 times out of 4. the time of 2nd mid-air punt can vary by +/- half a sec tho, so sometimes it catches me (particularly if early) with proverbial pants down and also get booted off the boat. it's sometimes recoverable with jailing that late, but rarely (depends on luck of captain pathing for the cannonball drop). it's pretty clutch tho when u land it, won't lie; feels a little like a mission impossible trick play. especially if i'm able to steer directly into the cannonball guard and do a swooping-dragon hadooken on him

tho these days i usually take the safer route, since there is no extra reward for early finish. you still don't need to "wait out the wind" if you go full speed on rope tho.

I swear, simplest challenge mode implementation in history of EQ2 - upon zoning offer an identical 2nd quest with a timer of 1min less than first. Least imaginative scenario - same reward (so just doubles the keys). More betterer scenario - reward a guaranteed [whatever is the name] "middle" quality chest key. A little extra effort and add a 3rd quest with 1m30 shorter timer (yes, it's doable). Make highest quality chest key as reward and/or the same crate you receive for completing a random heroic dungeon.

put a bow on it and call it betsy - compare that to the design effort went into the Nexus Duo [Challenge]. Now, don't twist my words, I'm not comparing the fun and uniqueness of Nexus to this boat, but since this xpac lacks anything remotely challenging outside 6man, this can be its dirt-cheap ugly cousin until a brighter future is upon us.
  14. Vogie Active Member

Heh I hadn't failed the boat at all, in fact I try to beat Kielex's time every attempt lol. I got it to 1:32 left so far but thought I could shave a few by trying your "flying" act. So far a no go hahaha.
  15. santargria Well-Known Member

I didn't use the vid to do the quest but I did watch it. I used the walk through and although I failed parts several times until I got the hang of it, I had a really great time with this quest

I could no way have figured out the puzzles myself, but even with the walk through and getting caught it was one of the most enjoyable quests in game so far - at least for me it was
  16. Tattoo Active Member

close the door when you pass by it the second time and you wont have the guards saying theres a prisoner missing and reduces your chance getting caugght walking across the top of them
  17. Kielex Well-Known Member

I can't even do the quest anymore. I think daybreak disabled me being able to do it. I've done it thousands of times, i hover my mouse over the thing and I legitimately cannot do it anymore.
  18. Kielex Well-Known Member

If you go too fast out it takes you out of the box and I've been sent back inside the cell by running too fast out with the box.
  19. Twisty Well-Known Member

this is exceedingly strange cause the box only breaks open on the open deck, and out of 40 or so runs i never got sent back going full speed (95run).

and just to prove a point, i tried and didnt even bother getting back in box after lighting the rum. captain gave me a thumbs up as i was running by and noone sent me back. t-1.47. missed the hadouken landing :( woulda been another 5s or so
  20. Twisty Well-Known Member