How to acquire Familiars in VoV

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Lost in Translation, Jan 15, 2022.

1. Almee Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the help. I got familiars for 24 of my characters. I even got a fabled one and a few legendary ones. Is the little baby green dragon better than the one that comes with the Collectors xpac?
  2. Moonpanther Well-Known Member

I am currently following instructions on the wiki you note in this reply, but all the animals I go to keep giving the message that it needs to be a capturable creature. Should I only hunt for those to cage in areas for my level? Confused, can't get the quest to work.
  3. Daryx Well-Known Member

You can capture one from any level as long as you can get it to attack and not kill it. It also has to be flagged as capturable, so you should see the quest icon on its name (as long as you have Familiars Wild in your quest helper window). Heroics/nameds won't work. Any particular one you are having a problem with?
  4. Moonpanther Well-Known Member

I just found out about this daily and I've only managed to find one that worked so far. I'm following the wiki and none of those mobs are marked with the little bag quest icons. So pretty much an issue with all of them. I'm on a level 97 toon at the moment, so where would be the best place to do this quest?
  5. cellinaire Well-Known Member

Some examples below for faster questing

Svarni Expanse : insect, aquatic, birds, cats, canine, reptile, rat

Commonlands : insect, mystical, dire, canine, rat, birds, bovids, cats

Antonica : bear and canine north of druid ring / wiz spire, reptile around the oracle tower, birds along Qeynos walls

Butcherblock beach : mystical?

Mystic Lake : simian, insect, maaaybe cats

Enchanted Lands : enchanted(obviously), amphibian, bear, insect

Loping Plains : dire around wiz spire

Kunzar Jungle : dire, reptile...etc

Echo Caverns (Mine area) : insect, enchanted
    Daryx, Twyla and Moonpanther like this.
  6. Daryx Well-Known Member

Try looking also at the eq2wire.com article on beastlord warders; it's what I use for reference up to a certain level (as far as it's been updated, which has been awhile). Sometimes a mob you think ought to be a certain type is not, for whatever reason.

I personally prefer to find aggro mobs as much as possible so I don't have to play the "engage and not kill" game, but the "catalog creature" ability does work pretty well for antagonizing a mob (sometimes you need to cast it a few times), although a damage proc can happen with that too.

At your level some other places to look are Vesspyr Isles for rodents (main island), Phantom Sea for canines (have to go up the eastern coast of the main island where the wolf creatures are). If you haven't done the channeler prequel quest (so you still have the mobs in places lie Antonica spawning on you and attacking) you can get bovids in Antonica and Commonlands at your level, and some other mob types in a few other places they spawn.

If you can get to plane of magic, there are also rodents, cats, mystical, enchanted, avian, simian, and various water types spread throughout, and many are aggro (possibly insect, I don't remember if the scorpions at Pakiat Bluffs work).

The drakes and dire are also available in Obulus Frontier on the path out of the crusader caves (dire are the gnasher things).

Like Cellinaire lists, others probably have places they like to go for certain types, depending on your level and ease of access. Don't forget you can delete the quest if you don't like the type the NPC gives you and get another till it's one you know where to get it.
    Rosyposy and Twyla like this.