How many people are still playing EQ2?

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Mackwiz, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Mackwiz New Member

I would like to get back in but how is the player population? Is it worth it if you are into PvE instances? I loved this game around 2013 time frame, how does it stack up now compared to then?
  2. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

An honest question deserves an honest asnwer. The situation is bad. The newest xpac is killing the population. Its mostly about grinding old content. They have done everything they can to slow down progression, resulting in a population getting burnt out. Also the heroics are nothing but timesinks. There is like ONE item in each dungeon worth equipping and the dungeons are overly long. (Cuz of enemy HP). You get infusers from the boxes you receive and some currency. The infusers are litterally useless and there is nothing to buy for the currency. As it stands today, it is not worth coming back. Sorry =(
  3. Saelfina Member

There are a lot of folks who power-leveled themselves from 1-100 in a very short period of time, using in game mechanics to do so. That is fine, but you do miss an inordinate amount of content and quest lines. The newest expansion actually requires some of this old content in order to move forward and those who skipped over this content are struggling with those requirements. Additionally, I believe those who enjoy raiding may be struggling with changes to the game.

For me, the end game isn't the whole game, and I know a good number of folks who feel the same way. Meeting folks, helping out when the call comes out to lend a hand, exploring what Norrath has to offer, and challenging my self to complete some of the more lengthy quest lines (like heritage quests and signature quests) is what makes it fun for me. But this isn't everyone's way to play. Remember, there isn't a right way or a wrong way. It is a game, and should be fun, and everyone's idea of fun can be very different.

I do have level 100 characters that have quested their way to the end game. The new expansion has been fun, and a learning experience for me. Again, I am not a raider, and do not represent them in the pleasure I find in the game. Thris focus has been, and continues to be, very different from mine.

But discouraging someone from returning to a game because your experience isn't what you want isn't helpful to anyone. Each person has to make their own decision.

Mackwiz, I would suggest that you log in and check out the servers during YOUR premium play time. I still see plenty of active folks, looking for help and offering it (of course, your mileage may vary). While there are some limits to the F2P offer it will give you a chance to see if the population works for you.

Enjoy, and do have fun!
    Cyrrena, Febrith, santargria and 5 others like this.
  4. Tekka Well-Known Member

There is a lot of whitewashing over what this expansion does, and does not have. What it objectively does NOT have is much in the way of actual new content.

There are significantly less players now than in 2013 with less returning and less retention.

You can still play for free, and if you're seriously considering returning to game I suggest you do that before you invest time and money.
  5. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

Technically speaking, the number of daily logins is not decreasing during last year.
    After server merge I see much more people around and I see that I have now slightly more variety in PvE play like agnostic dungeons (instances) which can be done solo provided that you keep your character in top condition.
  6. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

What is your source? Considering they don't release numbers, that is not technically speaking, that is simply a thought that has zero proof.
  7. Beee Well-Known Member

Feldon posted some numbers based on census data (without hidden chars)
  8. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

Thank you, is what I was wondering, I couldn't see Daybreak themselves releasing it.
  9. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

Census server. I don't want to go into details but as I said I see no decline in the number of unique daily logins.
  10. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

No need the details, I was just curious where that information is found was all :) Thank you.