How hard would it be to be able completely change class?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Bashem, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Bashem Well-Known Member

I know this has been asked before but today I was wondering how hard would it be to be able completely change class?

I have 10 100 TS toons I play and some will never be leveled any more adventurer levels as I dont like the class I picked or the one I can betrayal to.
    This to me would be a great feature to me and let me work on getting all my toons leveled.
    I gonna post this now to start some feedback and see what happens. :)
  2. xkrisx Well-Known Member

I know this was asked once before but was shot down do to the level range requirements would never satisfy everyone. For example.

If someone had a lvl 1 to 50 character that was a lvl 100 Crafter and hated the class they chose due to either changes or just in general chose a class that does not fit them, then they could buy a token or something that would allow them to reset there Adventure class to something else but reset there adv lvl to 1 or something. But the argument that this causes was it would be unfair to someone who was adv lvl 61+ or even better 95+. So it never went anywhere.
  3. Bashem Well-Known Member

I was not looking to reset their level as I just use one of my 4 char slots and build a new toon I would want to toon to be same level he was when he/she changed class.
  4. xkrisx Well-Known Member

I understand your want/need but they arent going to allow that. Being able to swap from Berserker to Beastlord to Necromancer at a whim and retain your lvl 100 would eliminate the need to EVER make another character. However, allowing a lvl 100 Woodworker that is a lvl 30 fury swap to a lvl 1 Assassin " penaltie for the swap " would retain there lvl 100 Woodworker but be able to change there class. If you werent going to retain anything, then what would be the point. Just lvl a new alt.
  5. oldskool Active Member

This would never happen. A player would just roll a SK, level to 100, then change it to another class.

This question comes up about once a month. I think most of the issue is the community is all over the place as far as what changing class would really mean. Some say go back to level 1 but keep the AAs and Achievements because you 'earned' them. Others say it should be a complete wipe and the new toon loses everything but the TS stuff.

Then the devs usually say it would probably break the game because there are some adventure stuff that overlaps with TS stuff. ETC.

Plus, if you switched class, there is no guarantee you'd like the new class.
  6. Bashem Well-Known Member

Ok people making good examples so why not say make them cost say 50 loyality point to convert and allow only 2 conversions per character. I can see where switching on the fly can be a problem but if it limited how many times it can be done then thats closer to be able to change a adv toon class you not happy with.
  7. Madmoon Member

Just play a bruiser from the start and the problem goes away.

There are games out there that have this ability now. It doesn't break the game, in fact, in small groups, it'd be great to say, "OK, we've got two fighters, I am going to switch to Dirge," or some such. It'd be interesting if you could multi-class in a way. Say, choose what class to play, but you have to level it on it's own. Hmm... I've got 100 Bruiser, who can be a 53 Inquisitor or a 24 Beastlord - I'm going to go Inky today!

Sure, some nut job somewhere would have only one character who is 24 classes at level 100 . . but it's probably better for society that he's a shut-in.
  8. Bashem Well-Known Member

This thread is not about starting a new toon from scratch its about changing you already leveled toon to to different class I have no desire to have more than the 10 toons I already have just want a class change on the toons I dont use as adv because I dont like that class.
  9. Mystfit Well-Known Member

Foretold likes this.
  10. Thand Well-Known Member

Sound like the original Final fantasy online. On person could level every class separately and could switch classes in towns. But there, you Only got one charcture slot and had to pay extra monthly fee for a secondary + slot. which most did just for storage purposes because there was not enough room in bags and banks for Multiple classes worth of gear
  11. Bashem Well-Known Member

The old threads where based on SOE so there no new thread asking for being able to change class with Daybreak! ;)

If it could not be done from a technical standpoint then ok not the end of the world but if can be I would like to hear from someone from the company to comment on why it wont or cant happen.

I would never know until I asked and tried to make it happen and to me worth the bother to ask. I mean its not like I am asking for a Duck-mount :p in the game!
  12. Seiffil Active Member

There were some technical aspects to this, and partially it was due to what someone has already mentioned before, if I could keep whatever level and AA I earned when I swapped classes, just about everyone would pick a crusader class, and just rip through everything, and then betray to their intended class. The part no one could agree upon were the consequences of the betrayal. Since all AA earnings are shared, to say just reset all their AA to 0 wasn't reasonable, because you do earn AA as you run around and get disco's and complete tradeskill quests (besides writs anyways). But there was no way to determine how many AA's were due to your tradeskill roaming and questing, and we're removing the rest that are attributed to adventuring. So while in general I think most people could agree with resetting the adventure level down to at least level 9 if not level 1, the AA issue was one of the primary blocking points. Let's face it, if someone was told they can solo a tank quickly up to the top, collect all the AA they can, and then reset their class to level, but you keep all the AA you earned, it's a lot easier to level up with the AAs already present then having to level the adventure level and AAs. While someone in the OP's shoes may not be thinking about it this way, you have to think about what shortcuts you're giving to someone who may try to abuse the ability.
  13. Bashem Well-Known Member

So what its a game and people will cheat to win. That's on them.
    Its not like I am getting extra levels if I changed my class I would just be able to level him/her again and that good for the game when people are playing and having fun lol.

They be subbing and buying xp pots ect too so its good for the games survival.

I mean we can buy an instant 92 toon so its not like there no other way to rapidly get someone to end game where all of EQ2 is focused these days.

It takes longer to do last 15 level with quests and slow xp so no wants grind the level to get to where game is to then grind to max level.
    When someone changes class and still the same level they were they should not be nerfed with a level reduction any more than given extra levels from a class change
    AA are a big pain and they were added to be a timesink to get some added skills which is why the game will give them to you based on levels automatically so there not as much a problem with having enough AA in game and if someone wants to grind AA with a what you think is easier to level with then go for it.
    The AA help but once you have 300 to play with the last are not game changing for most getting the last 50 AA.

Stop thinking about all the negative parts of having a class change and think of the positive impact it could have!

Its a game having fun playing it should be key to it being around for more years to come! :D
  14. Rainmare Well-Known Member

Daybreak is STILL SOE. nothing has changed but the name. they aren't a totally new entity, not bound by the same restrictions as the old.

they have plainly stated that there's WAY to much stuff in the 'adventure' side to make it work. between all the sig lines/class specific quests/AA/achievements and the ones that overlap between, and the things that only specific classes get/do...it's not doable.

they had a hell of a time getting it to work on the TS side, that really only has 2 major quests, (solstice earring/Prayer shawl) and none of their aas are 'class' specific, and even then, you have to get reset back to 1 to make it work.

now amplify that difficulty by a factor of a thousand. and that's the minmum of issue, not including ideas like yours of keeping you at the same level. Everytime this gets brought up they say no, because it's not viable. they've explained it on several occasions why.
    Mermut and Finora like this.
  15. Drayos1992 Member

Imho the issue is there are more Pros then Cons

I.E

Cons - Players not knowing howe to play their class but being a max levelled Max AA'd character, this will cause massive problems when it comes to guild recruiting for raid teams and you'll be with people who've barely even experienced their skillsets or class attributes.

Would make the game completely top-sided, No one would reroll if they simply could change their mains class which will kill low level population destroying MOST players interest in trying this game from a point of view of a complete new player to EQ2

Loss of Uniqueness in choice, 99% of players would just swap to the FoTM to be the best, the diversity in class choices would dissapear very quickly.

Lack of Sense - No one suddenly goes from a Experienced 100 year old mage who has excelled in the arts of Obliterating their targets which Massive magical damage to a highly skilled Assassin with poisoned blades

We can look at the positives to the idea which is convinience, no more rerolls, Less alts, More progression in one character, More players able to swap roles to encourage more raiding to happen, Makes guild events much easier to plan out

but in the end it would fry and kill the game, if nobody is rolling alts the new players who come to try this game will feel even more alone during the levelling process which can encourage them to leave the game as they feel the game is dead and well past its age.... as people slowly leave the game upon other game releases this would drain the population out of EQ2 til it actually died.

having this sort of system would allow those who hate levelling to simply do it once and forget it which will appeal to players but for the games sake i think the levelling phase is a very required thing in this game and therefore has to be ensured to stay.
  16. Meirril Well-Known Member

Loyalty points? What? No no, if Daybreak does this it will cost SC. And if you look at SC you can find a way to do it now.

Buy a character slot, buy a heroic upgrade and bam your a 90 whatever you feel like with full equipment. The crafting to 95 can be done in less than a week, to 100 in about another week. Leveling the adventuring side to 100 is going to be completely up to who you know that is willing to PL you, or your own efforts.

And if Daybreak is going to make it more convenient than that, why would they make it cost less SC?
  17. Lateana Older than Dirt, Playing EQII since 2004

Besides the role playing thingy, it would just be silly. If you want to play another class create and level a new alt. If you do not have another slot then pay for one. This is what we have done for 10 years and it is still a good plan. There is little if any reason to change the rules.
  18. Bashem Well-Known Member

I can can barely play these days at all. I have not even played game since first of this year. Why because I dont like game anymore? No I am pretty badly disabled having just gotten disability from a car accident from 3 years ago that still keeping me from playing so why I started this thread even know this a rehash of an old issue but I figured I give it one last try as if I do play I want to use my toons I have now my big time grinding was done recently getting my guild to level 66 solo and getting all 10 or my TS to 100 so only thing that I would enjoy if or when I playing again would be to swap 4 toons I dont play due to not liking there class or betrayal class. I not expecting any sympathy here but I still wanted to take a shot getting this done.

Not the end of the world by any stretch of my imagination so just spare me the digs for attempting this thread and always welcome the positive feedback.
    Peace be with you all!
  19. Brac Member

I think what Meirril said is the reality of the situation. Be it SOE or Daybreak it's impossible to believe they would do something like this if they didn't stand to make a good amount of money off of it. The only way this could happen is if it was a SC item that costs significantly more than the current heroic character token and even than the community at large and the developers I think are generally against it. That's not to say it couldn't still happen if someone decided it could drum up revenue on the SC store but to expect it as something you could earn in game really is unrealistic at this point in EQ2's life.
  20. Bashem Well-Known Member

I have played game since 2004 and well aware of the SC part of the game and how its made even me leave they game for a long time. I know many people who left and will never come back due to that and I am not naive how SOE Daybreak want to make money on everything they do but I still dont asking them to put a price on giving us a class change ability due to being stubborn and cant do anything if this is added to game for XXX amount of SC.