How hard is it to get into the new xpack?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Nilyana, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Nilyana Active Member

About a year ago I switched servers to play with a friend. So my character didn't have a lot of the old quest lines done, and I never really got into KA. So, not having played KA, I have no ascension, nothing like that, how hard would it be to come back now and jump into the new xpack? Would there be a lot of backtracking required?

Also, how's crafting? Last I heard there was no new crafting quest lines, just new levels. Crafting quests were something I really liked the most, so wondering if there's any reason to get the xpack for that?
  2. Rubick Well-Known Member

At what capacity would you be coming back to play? I came back less than 2 weeks ago and the amount of time and money required to catch up to raid competitively is very high.
  3. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

If you have no raiding aspirations, it's really easy. Just be level 100 and open the box of gear they drop at your feet when you zone into the place.
    The_Real_Wurm and Shmogre like this.
  4. Nilyana Active Member

Ah, yeah, guess that's a good point. If I raided at all it would be really casually, which I don't know if people are really doing any more. So mostly just the higher difficulty group stuff.
  5. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

The TS questlines will be added "soon". I only had level 2 ascention going into PoP as I only bought KA during the sale that occurred when PoP beta started, then pre-ordered PoP 3 days later. I have had no issues playing anything in PoP other than in Plane of Disease during beta, but that was all on me either not understanding what they wanted done or not being fast enough on the buttons.

Cyrrena
  6. The_Real_Wurm Well-Known Member

If you like questing its not hard at all to be honest.
  7. Greene Active Member

They did a good job of allowing us new scrubs a way to gently ease into the new stuff. You get a box or two of gear to completely replace your old stuff if needed.

I'm not sure how it is for other classes, but my beastlord warder is kind of bugged. As I didn't play much, he's a low level exotic, and has a power pool of 11,000, yet abilities cost 2-3000. So I have to re-summon him mid fight a lot ;\ I don't see this being an issue on any other class though. Thumbs up from me!
  8. Mathafern Well-Known Member

So far the expansion seems to be easy to get into and alt-friendly.

The faction grind is just that, but to move forward you only have to grind one.

Compared to KA the expansion is a breeze.
    Shmogre likes this.
  9. Vunder Well-Known Member

So far yes. The trade off IMO was horrible solo zones. They were fun the first time...ok the second...quickly became annoying after that. Except for Sol Tower...that zone has sucked since day one.

As for the faction grind they are super easy to do, I grinded all 3 of them in 3 days (Could have been shorter but I spend 1 day on each) It would be idiotic for someone to NOT do it. You get BiS offhand for very very little work and the quests are quite literally the same (Just different name and locations)
  10. Anaogi Well-Known Member

In a sense this is one of the easiest xpacs to get into provided you're 100, since you literally get your gear reset at the start of the first quest. This prevents some of the issues that came up last time, like taking 10 minutes to kill an overland trash mob, which resulted from the Potency mudflation of recent times.

The faction grind is beyond irritating. If you have a full day to devote, you can clear one faction. Just getting one to bare minimum to continue will take a while, and getting to the big off-hander reward will take a while.

The scripts...oh. My. God. What is wrong. With you. Devs. At least the HP levels in the solos got dialed back, but especially in the Sol Ro zones, it's scripting hell. And it's not even scripts that are clear how you work them in many cases--at least one requires literally a diagram to demonstrate! I'm almost afraid to run it Heroic now...

Raiding should be interesting. Good or bad interesting, I'm not sure yet.

So keep your expectations low and there's some enjoyment to be had. But someone seriously needs to take away the devs' scripting tools until they can get this whole "fun vs. complicated" thing worked out.
  11. Jhen Ro Active Member

Agreed, so far fairly easy to start. You don't need epic 2.0 and tome of the ascended to start expac - despite some social pressures. Probably want to go back and do it eventually, if for no other reason than the 2 spells you get from epic 2 as well. The weapon is BiS still, so worth it for now on that front as well. Ascension will come.

Not sure how it works if you've not done the KA Timeline on the account before starting POP, since the Ascension trainers are not opened up to you? Unless they are open now without needing timeline. My account already has, so don't have a way to test that.

Scripts - yeah. MoF = The New Baron's Workshop. It's not that I don't like it, but I have to have a post it in front of me to do one of them, maybe two. Any time I have to pull out the post its for a fight, yeah, might be too much. Concept is good though. Not tried heroic version yet on any of them.

Faction is easier once you figure out which repeatables are fastest. Like for Pakiat, I did The River Job over and over for the burst to 50k. No thank you flying the literal circumference of the zone to hail 5 npcs. Didn't take that long once you knew the path you were going. Vahla had two side by side - the one feeding and the one by the portal. Yrzu was so much clicking, but all in that one area. Just make sure you go to 50k before moving to the next one - AND doing the quest that opens up at 50k, to get the achievement. Just hitting the faction number is not enough.

Crafting not bad really. Mats are harder to get and take more, so that's a frustration. But harvest as you quest and it's not as bad. If you go back and do the KA Crafting Timeline and turn the gathering goblin aa into a plant, the plant gives you one KA rare, a bunch of common mats from PoP, and chance for PoP rare(s), 23 hour cooldown. No pony upgrade yet or guild harvesters yet.
    Shmogre likes this.