How fun is Warden to play?

Discussion in 'Warden' started by ARCHIVED-diamondmaker10, Jun 5, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-diamondmaker10 Guest

Just curious im having alot of trouble deciding between SK and warden and having a tough time figuring out which is going to be more fun.

Any thoughts from higher lvls who might have both?
    Thanks in advance.;
  2. ARCHIVED-celestina936 Guest

"Fun" is personal choice - what is fun to me, might be dreary to you. :)
    That said - you have your choices down to two totally different types of characters.
    SK is a fighter first and formost. SK takes aggro. SK is a tank. Healing is a band-aid for the SK and cannot always be relied on. However, it's nice if you are going to solo a lot. SK's are the popular tank of the moment. There are a lot of SKs - and many average SKs. You need the desire to want to tank and the fortitude to want to learn every thing there is to know and then some, if you want to be above average in playing an SK.
    Warden is first and foremost a healer. A warden is basically a melee based healer, but due to some changes, can also be a spell casting healer. The dps is almost the same. So it's based on your AAs. A Warden can solo nicely since it can kill and heal itself. But killing is much slower than the SK. There are a lot of wardens in the game, and a lot of furies (both druids). However, there are many average wardens. You need the desire to want to heal and the fortitude to want to learn every thing there is to know and then some, if you want to be above average in playing a warden.
    Both are utilized in groups and in raids.
    Which one is more fun for you? I haven't a clue. You have seven slots in one account. Make a SK character and a Warden character and play them both. After a while, you'll have your own question answered.
    In the meantime, good adventures to you.
  3. ARCHIVED-StaticLex Guest

I had a max level warden and SK throughout TSO and to me the warden is/was way more fun. The best way I can put it is if you like a frantic, quick-paced action style of play you might enjoy a tank more. If you like technical play where it's important to stay calm, time temp buffs right, and maintain a smooth casting order then you might prefer a healer.
  4. ARCHIVED-diamondmaker10 Guest

thanks for the info.

Just curious i just got the forms how is the best way to use them?
  5. ARCHIVED-celestina936 Guest

StaticLex wrote:
    Actually, if you play a tank with a "frantic, quick-paced action style of play" you will find yourself wondering why your tank doesn't get groups and has poor progression. The type of style you state is a player problem. A tank has many facets that requires planning, pull techniques, knowing your group abilities, how to grab aggro back from a character who doesn't understand what they are doing, positioning and so one.
    If you think healers have nothing but casting orders, then you are wrong - there are too many situations in which that "smooth casting order" will kill a group faster than a jackrabbit can cross the road. Yes, there are certain basics - ie in a group - group heal first and keep that ticking inbetween other types of heals, dps, buffs, etc. but there is no real order you can apply to each and every encounter.
    Your retort, to me, looks like you lack knowledge of various types of professions and instead interject your personal beliefs - I take a guess you are a warden..... guess what - I, too have a warden and a tank - but it's still the OPs choice -
    BTW, I find playing both professions a lot of fun!
  6. ARCHIVED-celestina936 Guest

diamondmaker10 wrote:
    I'm not sure what "forms" you are talking about.... can you elaborate?
  7. ARCHIVED-Hene Guest

Alvane@Unrest wrote:
    I don't even play a druid and I know what forms hes talking about; have you placed any AAs in the druid tree?
  8. ARCHIVED-StaticLex Guest

Alvane@Unrest wrote:
    lol?
    Whatever..
  9. ARCHIVED-diamondmaker10 Guest

Sorry been working. The forms i was referring to was the Tree form, The tiger form and the wolf form.
    As for where i have put my AA points so far, i have placed 1 point in the druid first point to get the forms, then i went down the warden line to get all the melee attacks once i get them maxed up i will go down str line.
  10. ARCHIVED-StaticLex Guest

The forms are simply a buff. You use whatever one will help you the most with what you're doing. I run around with the tree one up mostly since I am heal specced 99% of the time.
  11. ARCHIVED-bloodfangs Guest

Partial to the wolf form for the extra crit, but I always run melee specced. Power regeneration toys, like a Phantom Handle on your weapon, help keep you going through the tougher fights. It's all about power for the Warden. SK's ... I tried one when Timorous Deep was first introduced. I found it to be a very boring (and very fast) 30 levels, prior to deleting that toon. I just thought it was no challenge up to that point, and not as much fun as a Warden at that point. I've only run a Warden to 65, though, having taken a year off. I made convert of a couple of friends who swapped Furies over to Wardens, though. ;)
  12. ARCHIVED-celestina936 Guest

diamondmaker10 wrote:
    There are three types of shapeshift buffs you can use: The tiger - which is melee/dmg; the wolf which is critical hit chance; and the treant (tree) which is increase of base healing.
    You can switch back and forth between the 3 buffs depending on what you are doing.
    If I'm solo or working a group with poor dps, I'll use either tiger or wolf form. If I'm in a group instance or raid, I'll use the treant for increase of base healing.
    You can use these forms even when the your AAs are melee spec or spell casting spec while healing. Many wardens prefer melee - heal spec to enhance all the attributes of a warden. However, spell casting has greatly improved over the past two xpacs and the dmg is just about par with melee.
    If you desire to go the melee or spell casting route, do take STA and AGI while leveling, then choose STR or INT depending if you wish melee or spell casting. The Melee of STR gives you free heals, so consider that. For STR all you need is to go down to the Natural Boon. Under AGI, T-shell is a must have whether you solo or group. And STA down to Serenity is a nice thing to have in your arsenal.
    In the Warden Tree - melee choices are under warden line as you noted. These are attached to your auto attack which gives the greatest % of dmg. You can even have your auto attack trigger when you hit a heal spell. The SoB and Spores should be maxed as well as DI if you group. For solo work, it helps to have stronger roots and snares, especially with multi mob encounters.
    In the Shadows Tree, if you want to utilize dmg, do take Litany of Combat in the Priest line and the final two stance choices Glacial Assault and Nature's Aura. You can switch those stances while in combat if you need to do so. Both are very handy.
    The warden has lots of flexibility to change in groups, solo, raids per encounters. What ever you choose - good adventures to you.
  13. ARCHIVED-hortefoutre Guest

Shiirr@Blackburrow wrote:
    Funny i did the same, i delete my Sk too ....
    I totally love my warden, but since when mentoring i enjoyed to be the MT and the main healer friends told me to play a paladin. And indeed i happen to love my new plate warden ;-)