How does a wizard work?

Discussion in 'Mages' started by CRAZYEQ2GUY, Nov 17, 2013.

1. CRAZYEQ2GUY New Member

I've created a new High Elf wizard heroic cha, and enjoy playing it. But does anyone have any advice on its play style?? :):)
  2. Whitetide Active Member

Kill stuff before stuff kills you.

Root root root root dps dps root dps root breaks re-root root root breaks mob eats you. Run to town get merc, try again.
    Avahlynn likes this.
  3. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

*well done! Lol and note that at no point did "try to take a hit" come in to play in that. :) wizards are glass jawed. No lie. Never try and tank. It only ends one way.
    Whitetide likes this.
  4. Finora Well-Known Member

=) If you are soloing get the aa that adds wards to your magi's shielding. Though with the changes to HP at the high end I don't actually know how that'll work out post 90 at this point. I haven't fought with my wizard or warlock since the expansion release.

The ward helps when something does get loose & tries to eat you.
  5. Jeorge Member

I always figured with Wizzies it was like this:

1. Press nuke.
    2. Mob dies
    3. Target next mob
    4. Repeat
  6. Ucala Well-Known Member

hit mob, die, tell healer to rez you, repeat actions
    Whitetide likes this.
  7. The_Cheeseman Well-Known Member

Wizards aren't for people who like to play it safe. They're for people who realize that dying a lot just means that you're the one having the most fun in the group.
  8. Malachy Well-Known Member

AA wise, I'd go full defense until you start grouping. Look them over, anything that strengthens magi's shielding, defense, wards, etc.

Solo mobs: Stun, nuke. It's dead. That will work until level 90, no lie.
    Solo'ing Heroic mobs: Root, nuke, nuke, (when root breaks, if it isn't dead), stun, nuke. That will work forever.

In groups you will have to figure it out. Ideally you cast your highest dps immediately, followed sequentially until you can recast higher dps spells again until the mob is dead. If the tank can't keep aggro, it's a bad group setup or he's terrible -- leave the group and solo, you'll get better xp without them. If they are friends or you want to stick it out for loot, then manage your aggro by having terrible dps.

The end.

P.S. Wizards are the most complicated dps class in the game. You need to pay attention, be quick to respond and you are more dependent than any other class on buffs, tanks and heals to flourish. Also, there are so many wizards, you really need to be amazing to get a raidspot. So if this is your first character, I'd suggest Conjy if you want a simpler, comparable mage class to get your feet wet with. A terrible conjy will do far better than a terrible wizard, dps wise.
  9. Aniyes New Member

wizards are hard hitters from a distance and when you level up round 85 or round there, there beasts like mines, blast of devistation is great when players come close you give them a major hit, shackles are one of the best root/snare spells in game and it holds for a LOOOONg time but has its negs sometimes cuz it can be resisted but the more you perk better chance snare is held. Including the fact that you get to perk it. But tbh im a wiz and idek why some say its hard its beyond easy, everything is what your rhythm is. me its invis. shackle, free hand sorcery, rays of disintegraion, solar flare, protoflame, ice comet, DEAD. its too easy all you have to do is have a rhythm either for fast hits with min-medium damage,(snares included -.-) or medium waits with hard damage (again.....with shackle) or if they resist it you can use ice to slow them down and build damage as they get close. i mean but its not about thah toon its the person playing it. But Wiz FTW!!!!!!
    Indigo23 likes this.
  10. Ucala Well-Known Member

didn't even list FB in your list.
  11. Griffinhart Member

Wizards actually do more damage in close. Especially with AE fights. Thunderclap (single target) does much more damage close in and fusion (AE 3 target) is extremely short range.

There is also a stark difference between a good wizard and an average wizard. I have seen many, many, many wizards do far less damage than they should given buffs and gear level. Wizards are easy to play, but take a bit more than button mashing to do well with.

Personally, I love my wizard. There is a lot of stuff I can't do without a merc that my paly can solo, but I kill stuff so fast it's silly. Solo instance fights that use timed mechanics vs %based scripts die in seconds. There have been many fights that after doing many times on my wizard, I swap to another character and see mechanics for the first time. "I didn't know that mob did that!" It happens all the time.
  12. Darkfoz Active Member

I forgot Wizards had invis, is it essential to survival like using solar flare instead of ball of lame?
  13. Mystere Member

ROFLMAO

If you press the Solar Flare button more than a few times a night, something is definitely lame, but it wouldn't be the spells.....
  14. Rubick Well-Known Member

There is an absurd amount of terrible advice in this thread. Please don't listen to anything that was said and apply common sense instead OP. If Solar Flare is even on your hotbars you are doing it wrong. On a single target the only thing less efficient you could cast than Solar Flare would be Storm of Lightning or your non-damage dehates. Go to eq2flames.com and read the wizard section. The info may be from last xpac but it will still help you exponentially more than anything that was said in this thread.
  15. Feldon Well-Known Member

They don't. That's what they have apprentices and interns for. ;)
  16. Mystere Member

Sorry, but if you don't cast Solar Flare at least a few times a night, you're obviously not pushing buttons fast enough. I have times where every other button is down and it's Solar Flare or sitting on my hands. Learn to DPS, pal.
  17. Rubick Well-Known Member

No, I can assure you that you're the one doing it wrong. Ask any wizard that's not terrible how often he hits solar flare. The answer will be never. Math is hard. Unless you're talking about playing a wizard while leveling up, in which case the answer is it doesn't matter what you press.
  18. Mystere Member

You can assure people until they're blue in the face, but you still won't be able to make 1 + 1 = 3. I have every spell except from the crappy Sorc trees in 10 hotbars, and they DO run out occasionally. There are also circumstances where you would rather press Solar Flare than Icy Spears, Immolation or Incinerate, such as if a mob is imminently about to die. Unless you are saying that you also don't hotbar these spells as well. Perhaps these are nuances of the game that are yet beyond you. If that is the case, it's ok to admit so, sir.
  19. Ucala Well-Known Member

on every class I own I only have like 5 hotbars, less for channeler and BL.
    I never knew how so many people have so many hotbars, I always just take all the useless stuff off :p
  20. Mystere Member

I can't speak for Channelers and BL's, but there are very few "useless stuff" for wizards. There are spells and abilities which I rarely or almost never use, but almost every one has its time and place. OTOH, if you don't want to bother to squeeze the maximum DPS out of your class, that is entirely up to you two. :D