How do you like EQN graphics?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Desper, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Malleria Well-Known Member

I think this is the part SOE is failing at. They love SOEmote, but it's been a huge failure in terms of it's widespread use. People don't not use it because of lack of detail on EQ2 character models' faces. They don't use it because it's funny for a few minutes and then meh. Almost no one plays the game so zoomed in that they can see that kind of thing. It won't be any different in EQN, so why sacrifice something as important as character models on the off-chance a tiny part of the playerbase will use it?
    Avahlynn likes this.
  2. EQOAnostalgia Member

I think they look brilliant and if Landmark is an indication of how they will look in game i can't wait! I prefer colorful and stylized graphics in high fantasy games.
    TarnaX and Juraviel like this.
  3. Shazbot Active Member

If EQN is a good game the graphics will have a minimal effect on the player base. If it's not a good game then it's DoA even if the graphics are straight video representations of the players.
    TarnaX likes this.
  4. tbmroark Member

I know I'm a little late to this discussion, but I wanted to add a few things from my own perspective. As well, just for reference, I played EQ2 for a couple years shortly after its release, and I've purchased access to Landmark.

Graphics vs. Art Style: As is often cited when talking about this game's appearance and people's different reactions to it, the #1 argument I hear is something along the lines of "Graphics don't matter if the game-play is good." Yes, that's true. There are many games, especially older ones with terrible graphics that have incredible game-play and are fondly remembered. Even some modern games are purposefully made in the image of these older games. What's important to understand, however, is that there absolutely is a difference between graphics and art style. Graphics don't necessary have a huge impact on playability, but art style does. Here is an example of a game that's being developed that, technically, has terrible graphics but arguably has a beautiful art style:

A good art style is one that envelopes you and immerses you, regardless of graphics.

Criticisms of "Realism" Graphics: Over the course of reading through forums and some articles discussing the current art style in EQNext, I've stumbled upon a couple different arguments against "realism" graphics. The first argument is that realism graphics tend to be darker,grittier, dirtier, with lack of color. For example, look at a game like Rift. A second argument I've heard is that character models can easily turn out ugly- look at some of EQ2's character models- not always the prettiest. A third argument is that facial expressions can more difficult to identify from a distance. Personally, I have to disagree with the first two arguments. I'll detail my opinions on the third in another section. The first two arguments are flawed in the respect that older games have typically been cited as sources. Those are faults with the art style of those games, however, and arguably some hardware limitations. Lighting, shadows, and depth certainly contribute to that. Our real world is one certainly full of color, and many imaginary landscapes are certainly colorful as well. With focus put on art style, a beautiful, colorful, realistic looking game can absolutely be possible. I'd like to offer a screenshot of Planetside 2 (a game that certainly has its issues), particularly because it was developed using the core engine that was modified for EQNext: http://img.fettspielen.de/img/prepages/000000194/planetside-2_screenshot805_n.jpg

I'd say that that image doesn't invoke in me thoughts of a bland world. The second argument, concerning character models, is also flawed. If any of you played ESO, you'd have to admit that the graphics were absolutely beautiful, especially when it came to character models. The faces especially tended to be very attractive (but you could make them ugly, if you wished). I just don't believe that's a valid argument.

SOEmotes and character expressions: This is where I'll admit that argument #3 is valid. With graphics and art style that focus on realism, visibly making expressions clear is more difficult. Taking into consideration my disregard for the validity of other arguments against the attractiveness of realism graphics, I have to admit that I am concerned. What this means is that the majority of the decision to go with the current art style was based on the desire to include and emphasize a gimmick. Yes, SOEmote is a gimmick. While being a novel idea, it's something that will become less and less interesting or used over time. I've seen this many times with many different products- Apple, Google, Samsung, Microsoft, etc.- they've all released features (like Siri, for example) that are novel and useful in certain situations, but quickly become less and less interesting. Honestly, the last thing I can see myself wanting to do after a long day of work is connecting my webcam to a game so it can relay my facial expressions. I understand that some users may find this feature attractive or interesting, but I'd LOVE to see the actual data on how many people are using this currently and the time it takes for them to stop. So, basically, you have a huge design decision based on this one aspect of the game? Ugh. Terrible decision quality is happening if this is the case, and it certainly seems like it.

Personal Opinion (if you haven't already inferred it): I really want to like this game. I really, really do. The art style, however, just kills it for me. I can't get into it. After seeing what many games are currently doing graphics and art style-wise, I just feel that the game is being short-changed for the usability of a gimmicky social feature that barely anyone will use as time goes on. I need a game that immerses me, envelopes me in the world and allows me to relate somewhat to my character. I don't get that from this game. I don't feel immersed. The art style decision was a terrible one to make, and I can't see myself playing it for too long, if at all, unfortunately. Obviously, as with all art, some people may be fine with this choice. It's just not a style that resonates with me, however, and I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.
    Feldon likes this.
  5. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

I don't agree that graphics OR art style can impact gameplay. But thats just me :) I used to think that way, up until Borderlands came out. I HATED that style but I wanted to try it. I still don't like the art style but I have beaten that game twice, and still want to play it more. I don't like the looks, but its still an awesome game.

I started up Asheron's Call a few weeks back since its buy to play now, the graphics are insanely bad and did not age well, everything about the look is bad imo, but its fun to play!

Everyone has their opinion though and is entitled to it. I will be checking out EQN if SOE lives up to the promises of what the features are (and if they don't charge $1,000 to unlock certain features). I don't care what it looks like, I just want to play in a world where anything can happen and you can actually make an impact as an individual. On the plus side with these graphics, I know the game should run flawlessly, which is what I care about on top of if its fun. If it don't run well, its not fun, especially in an MMO.
  6. Charlice Well-Known Member

Graphics do affect my gameplay and I'm not fond of the EQN graphics, at, all. For that reason alone I will not be playing it.

Maybe I'm odd but I still enjoy EQ2 graphics.
  7. Elskidorr Active Member

Graphics are the least important aspect of a game to me.