How can I stop this fatal error happening

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Rakk, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Rakk Active Member

Hi,

I seem to keep getting a fatal error (most often when zoning into the guild hall or being in the guild hall, but not restricted to it).

Given I can't seem to upload an image to here its says:
    Fatal Error
    Everquest II has detected an unrecoverable error and must shutdown.
    <verify>
    G:\live\eq2\framework\core\devices\DirectX9RenderDevice.cpp (18132):
    DirectX Error (error)
    0126850f 01875d01

It seems to have been happening quite frequently recently and is annoying me somewhat - I'm guessing that G drive location is a location on their server or something like that
    Useful info: my machine is running Win 10 Pro (version 1803) - with no pending updates, i5-6600k, GTX1070 (with drivers dated 8th Nov 2018 - so pretty recent), 16GB Ram, EQ2 on the SSD

Any info would be useful as it rather horribly crashed earlier in the week at 80% of the way through some experimentation which meant I lost the item! (a GM kindly gave me the item back), as its really starting to annoy me now - getting bored of it.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  2. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

EQ2 wants DirectX 9.0c. Yes, Win10 has bigger and better versions, but EQ2 is picky. You can get it from EQ2Wire or direct from Microsoft. Just drop a copy into your EQ2 install folder.

If that doesn't get it, then start the Launchpad and click the Advanced Tools button (crossed hammer and wrench icon) and ask it to validate your files. If you have a borked file somewhere, it will fix it.

If none of that helps, then it's time to create a support ticket.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Rakk like this.
  3. Rakk Active Member

Well the one direct from Microsoft refused to run because I'm not on some hideously outdated OS :)
    The files from EQ2 Wire just replaced exactly the same files that I must've put there at some previous point in time :(
    And the validate happily decided everything was valid and uptodate already - time for the support ticket I guess
  4. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

There are several threads on how to post screenshots to the forums here. Search [near upper right, below Inbox/Alerts/Log Out] is your friend. ;->

We do, "we" meaning more than a few of us, but more importantly, EQ2. Changing the DirectX requirement might require the game being out of commission for a bit, and at this time of year, that will cause several major riots, which no one wants.

Good luck with the support ticket! :) Make sure you give the techs as much info as you can; they may want additional things, such as DXDiag files and such (it's been awhile; can't recall the ones they usually ask for, but it should be listed on the support site).

Uwk
    Breanna and Cyrrena like this.
  5. Bodiddle Member

I ran into this a while ago and it turned out it was actually a sound driver causing it. I know it points towards video, but it could be a number different things. Thought I would mention it though.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Cyrrena like this.
  6. flameweaver Well-Known Member

Use this link at https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=8109 to download the full and final DX9 setup.

Unpack to a temporary folder and find the DXSETUP.exe file, run this "As Administrator" and it should run OK. Let it install to it's default directory and remove the DX9 stuff from your EQ2 folder.

I run WIndows 10 and never had this issue and prefer the default setup as I play a number of games that still rely on DX9.
  7. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

No, that's good! It eliminated one possibility, and others might have similar problems. Thanks! :)

Uwk
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  8. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Heh! So it's not just us... ;->

Uwk
    Cyrrena, Breanna and flameweaver like this.
  9. Rakk Active Member

A guildie actually pointed me to that page, so I tried that and it didnt help, but I haven't removed the DX9 files from the EQ directory, I'll try that and see if if helps (can't make it any worse right? :))

I'll also check the sound drivers, but I normally let Windows do all that malarky - I do not have a separate sound card - just the sound from the mobo.
  10. Svenone Well-Known Member

DirectX involves graphics, sound and even, I believe, peripherals like mouse, joystick and keyboard. I would make sure all drivers are up-to-date with verified and non-beta/non-tweaked versions. I have had video updates that fail and leave the driver in an unstable state that requires ripping the entire driver out and reverting to the generic windows driver before installing the proper driver again. I am not suggesting that you need to do something this extreme, but it is a possibility.
  11. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

]offtopic[
    On your signature: I'm not sure I get it; if your collectibles page is automatically coming up when you pick up a shiny in the field, there are ways to turn that off, to prevent it from happening. :-/

What I would love to see at some point is a tool-tip come up when you hover your cursor over a collection name or category that tells you what the reward is. Seriously. There had been way too many times in the past (more than one = way too many, imho) that I'd spent gold, back when that was a thing to worry about, trying to get the last piece of a collection off the Broker, only to find that the reward was a couple handfuls of silver, rather than a piece of Attuneable equipment, or better yet, a house item. :(
    ]/offtopic[

Uwk
    who understands that yeah, the square brackets are in the wrong direction, but the gods only know what's a valid HTML thing these days... ;->
    Breanna likes this.
  12. Svenone Well-Known Member

What I want is the ability to remove collection items from the collection page, unless the collection has already been completed and the reward has been collected.
    For instance, if I am working on the "plain butterfly" collection and already have some (or even all) of the components "in place", but have not turned them in for a reward, I want the ability to remove them from the collection page (put them back in my bags) so they can be moved to a different character. I have no problem if this makes them Hierloom (may prevent certain issues), but currently once a collection item is placed in the collection page, it is there forever (and lost if I decide that I no longer want that character)!
    Breanna and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  13. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ah! Okay, I get it. Good points. :)

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  14. flameweaver Well-Known Member

You might want to take a look at DarqUI's collection window. This has an option to open the window automatically, but only if there is collection a collected item can go into, otherwise the item is deposited in your bags. There's a second option to have the window automatically close when an item is added to a collection. Both options can be toggled on or off individually.
  15. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Profit has the same features.
  16. Svenone Well-Known Member

While the part of auto-closing the window after adding an item is good, it is not the intent of what I desire. I believe that the option to automatically open the window is a default UI option, or at least DrumsUI does this. I want to be able to remove collection items that have already been added (with limits).
  17. Brewmyst Well-Known Member

I don't remember what I did to fix it when it happened to me on my old computer, but after doing a validate file check, a system restore (about 3 weeks prior), and then finally deleting the game, and re-installing, nothing worked, until I loaded the game in full screen mode, then windowed, when I got the chr in.. (normally I play windowed). But, this was all months ago..