How can a necro compete with other mages ?

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Kalika, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Buffrat Well-Known Member

Top DPSers of the top 10 guilds is irrelevant on many fronts, and here is why.

1) There aren't even 10 decent guilds left in this game. There are 3, tops. And "decent" is being very generous.

2) DPS is no longer based on personal performance, it's 80% based on your raid/group's gear choices, group setup, and whether or not you have a bard who can auto attack during their RO recording.

3) The top 3 mages right now are 2 wizards and a warlock. Why? Both wizards are in Revelations and get their ****s sucked with buffs and group/raids gear is designed specifically to help mage dps. The warlock is in Fatality, who gets his group setup around him, but has less practiced items in group and less debuff earrings in raid. The second warlock in Fatality who left to go to Revelations had his parse double (still barely competing with their wizards), and since our current warlock competes somewhat comparing numbers to numbers (which isn't remotely accurate anymore unless you're in the same group in the same raid, but I think it works well enough here), I'm fairly confident that warlocks are king ****. Even if Warlocks aren't massively better, Sorcerers in general wreck everything.

4) Scouts are generally just worse, but this expansions mechanics were very heavily favored towards mages. Mages are more survivable (resist buffs), do more raw dps (better potency scaling), have more deaggros, have less range issues, don't have to **** with stealth mechanics(*claimed to be fixed in expansion), and are easier to put in "good" group setups. Scouts have...max hp debuffs. There are only two group setups that will allow a scout to compete with mages for numbers, which to my knowledge none of the top 3 guilds run, or I'd be seeing more scouts at the top of the parse (though again, I don't see russian parses often)...Option 1 is standard tank group-esque: Brawler Dirge Chanter Mystic Warden Predator. Option 2: Assassin Ranger Brigand Dirge Chanter/Scout Warden/Mystic and swap your mages from mage group 2 into the tank groups, running things such as Guardian Troub Illy Healer Healer Conjuror.

5) FC is akin to what the new scout Shadow ability is/could be (though Shadow is only somewhere between 10-40%, forgot what it was), it's a direct 75% dps increase for the duration since it's affecting one of the final modifiers to your abilities. And if you get lucky you can reset it.

If this game had the following of any major mmos, I have no doubt that every top guild's raid setup would look very similar to this:

Guardian Troub Illy Channeler Fury Conjuror
    Monk Dirge Coercer Mystic Warden Ranger
    Ranger(w/ Monk Alt) Assassin Brigand Swashbuckler Dirge Warden
    Warlock Warlock Warlock Wizard Troub Fury

Yes, I am well aware those last two groups don't have an enchanter. And the parse would look something like this:
    All 5 scouts and dirges auto attacks w/ 6 wdb ears, Sorcerers x4, Conjuror, Furies, Troubs, Illy, Coercer, 5 Scouts+Dirge's ability damage, Wardens, Mystic, Channeler, Tanks

To stay on topic with the thread: Necromancers aren't viable in a dream setup such as above because one of their big dps spells (Lifeburn) has broken scaling/snapshotting and they have effectively 0 aoe dps outside of Pandemic on greens and Awaken Grave on blues, and then their single target dps isn't good enough to compensate. They are, however, the easiest mage to play.
  2. Kalika Well-Known Member

That's my point, people told me that most clickies are not affecting lifeburn (only hp buf) ... and pet life burn (my second best attack) does not scale well too (it seems).

I don't think that we are easier to play, i need to keep pet alive, i need to know when i should lifeburn and prepare my sequence, and i also often need to heal myself. I also should use my dumb pet at the correct time (it seems that they are affected by clickies). And last i may throw a heal on someone or ressurect a player. I think it require more focus and more reactivity than simply following a spell sequence and looking a the increment count.

I do have an increment system but after testing it out i decided that this spec was not worth using (may be i m wrong). May be act parse was not reliable .... Anyway ds increase was not worthing giving up a self rez with 100% hp and mana.

Anyway necro and conj are in similar situations, but conjurers are a bit better since their right tree seems to actually work, they do have better aoe , and more of their main abilities are affected by. temps... but it's not really clear if temp buf do affect our pets.

Anyway i will stick with my baby necro she is versatile and much more fun to play that a T1 button pusher doing (15379261539)* and 562 if time warp ;-) Versatility is nice in heroic or in messy raids, but in a moderalty organized collective bard will handle the rezz, healers will heal you during lifeburn, necro patch heals won't be of any use etc ....

But wish temps affected Lifeburn and PetBurn, wish double cast affected all our spells and wish we had other/better open or not aoes.
  3. arturos Active Member

Guardian Troub Illy Channeler Fury Conjuror
    Monk Dirge Coercer Mystic Warden Ranger
    Ranger(w/ Monk Alt) Assassin Brigand Swashbuckler Dirge Warden
    Warlock Warlock Warlock Wizard Troub Fury

Hehe while yes this would be an amazing setup could you imagine anyone actually doing that? you could say that the monk in g2 would have a crusader alt just to cover the trifecta of tanks requirements of some of the legacy encounters.
  4. Tren Member

Necro is the easiest and "safest" mage to play. I agree.

Part of the allure of the Conjuror over the Necro is the extra risk involved and more enough complication to make it a little more fun.

Necro can get boring when you've pretty much mastered the class and only depending on gear upgrades to improve. I like something that takes a bit longer to master.

I didn't like Warlock, though. There was just too much going on. I literally couldn't keep up (but that probably had something to do with laziness from playing a Necro so much prior to Alt'ing the Lock). I'm also allergic to casters that have to stay in melee range or too close to the boss mob, which Locks and Wizards pretty much had to do back when I was playing.
  5. Tavimortae New Member

Tavimortae is my necro and I'm usually 3rd in DPS in the group. I would like to improve my DPS so if anyone can offer suggestions please feel free.

Thanks
    Tav
  6. Lare Active Member

Things have changed locs can range DPS rather well in fact fair way better than the poor wizard. Having said that as a lock you want to be inside the mass of mobs that the tank is holding so you can blow the crap out of them but on solo and named fights distance is not that big of a killer.

It really is only about increment management and timing of clickies big nukes and TW. Once you work out what not to cast its not that hard