How are you people leveling so fast?!

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Arkk, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Wanderingwilly New Member

I have 16 level 95's and have only used PLing for a couple of them that were similar in play style to another toon I already had. I use questing for most of my leveling as I enjoy doing them and the plat gained from doing them sets them up. My current favorite thing to do is gain achievments on my SK (best for soloing). I will mentor to level 5 and do starter zones to completion just to see the achievment I gain from it. One thing that surprised me is that there are actually quite a few people out there doing the questlines! A shocking amount tbo!
  2. BrienBear New Member

And what both of you fail to realize is that you're at the mercy of the developers.

You're not playing the way "you" want to, you're playing the way the developers allow you to. If they don't want you to level fast anymore, they'll make it so.

The gods giveth, and the gods taketh away.

I, personally, am hoping that EQNext harkens back to EQ1 with the grinds and the death consequences and no quests.... etc. But at the end of the day, I'm going to be at the mercy of the developers too.
  3. Tartarean New Member

I came back to game got a merc grinded quests out and got 95 in 4 days.. so yes it can be done in less than a week.. if you are hardcore grinding... and a lot of hours a day
  4. Caedus New Member

Hi, Long time EQ player, Played EQ2 in brief spurts a few times years ago. Had a SK leveled to 42 and a Monk in the 30s. Nothing huge, but this was also before 'modern' EQ2.

Just my 2c, but are you kidding me with that? 45 minutes for a level? Three runs? That's not a grind! That's insanely fast! And may I say, the lowbies I have started since coming back this week have all leveled at breakneck speeds just by finding a patch of monsters, and slaughtering them until they are blue or green. My Erudite Wizard out of Neriak almost broke her neck on the way to level 10 in 20 minutes....
  5. Steelnips New Member

I've been playing the game on and off (mostly off) for a few years now...I think 3-4, and my highest character is 47, just thought I'd throw my thoughts into this thread and see if I'm doing it right.

The biggest reason I level so slowly is because I switch characters a lot, like I'll level for 5 levels on one character then switch...I can't choose what I want to focus on because I like everything but tanks. I don't feel I level THAT slowly, but compared to most people aka people that have mercs and/or veteran XP I think it takes me about 45 minutes per level after I hit 26. I usually solo quest, and some quest lines take a looong time but I've figured out that grinding even solo feels waaay faster than questing, I only do quests for the gear pretty much now and so I don't feel like I'm grinding too much (it can get kinda boring).

I was wondering if maybe there's some way to level that's faster for someone with no mercs no vet bonus and with 0 plat who doesn't want to PL even if they were offered? I remember when I used to play I would just go to level appropriate dungeons like stormhold and whatnot, and just get a group super easy. Then dungeon finder worked pretty well for a while but now I queue for about 3 hours and get nothing...and I popped into a few dungeon areas but saw no one in them so...I'm assuming AoD kinda destroyed that? Meh....I'm not going to put down 40 bucks for faster leveling most likely. It really feels like AoD just destroyed the leveling process, but that may just be me because I've never reached cap, and I really enjoyed running dungeons with random people at lower levels.

So should I just keep solo questing or should I find some whites and grind them until they turn blue/green? I don't mind grinding on my dps chars but I have a fury I play that has some serious dps issues..like I do good damage, or good enough, but I have like 4 buttons I hit over and over and judging from my future skills I'll mostly be wanting to aoe...which might work but from what I've seen so far I won't be able to tank that many things at once.
  6. guard Active Member

most that level fast or appear to either level lock at level 10 and grind out all the aa then level or do the opposite they move slider to 0% aa and then worry about that at level 90. for the actual levelling most instance's can be done solo now adays and if you want to kill orange con heroics most just use a merc

edit : you can also chrono down and do out levelled instances the % xp you lose from being mentored isn't a problem as you will gain xp a lot faster
  7. Steelnips New Member

What level should I do that? The chars I'm working on atm are 35 fury, 31 ranger, and 22 wizard...less than that in AA on all of them though not much less.
  8. Regolas Well-Known Member

The earlier the better really because you require less xp per AA point at lower levels. It all depends though on speed of kills (which will be quicker with more AAs).

It's ok waiting till 90 though, as your vitality pool is larger at higher levels so you get more 200% vitality bonus.

So it's your choice really but you are a lot more powerful if you can have lots of AA at lower levels.
  9. Deago Well-Known Member

I believe the amount of exp it takes to gain an AA is hard coded in regardless of the adv level you are at however at level ten you can kill so quickly and so many it just ramps up that much quicker. Obviously once you get higher in aa level it will require more exp.

Course with vitality/pots and a great team in SS at 90 you can fly through AA"s like nothing.
  10. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

Powerlevening if you have not noticed. Sold for plat. I prefer to level a toon and learn how to play it. go figure.
  11. guard Active Member

sorry not been on for a couple of days but as regolas said do it now grind the dungen's/instance till you have atleast double the aa to your level personally would grind 100 aa atleast at the level they are will make levelling a lot easyier and faster in the long run
  12. Deago Well-Known Member

Many moons ago experience was compounded (compared to the sum of the parts as it is today) making exp/aa so easy during doubles it was laughable getting 1k+ per level ten mob. I made two 250aa+ capped toons easily alone no power leveling during one weekend.

Head dev at the time Rothgar changed the algorithm from compounded exp to a summation. This is what we currently have today. Still easy yet not crazy.
  13. Teleute New Member

I am playing all my Alts as new rolls from the beginning now. I choose to keep the AA Slider set to Zero, because I am accepting the newbie alt Quest to level the characters up to Level 20 within a fourteen day period to get the Title. Yes, I know that it would be insane not to be at Level 20 within two weeks...especially since we also have the Summer Gold Rush still going on.

So the question is... am I hurting my characters for leaving the Slider set to Zero, till the toon reaches Level 20? Or should I go ahead and change the slider as soon as the new toon is rolled right out of the Gate? And when reaching Level 20, which precentage-mix do you feel would be best to set the AA Slider up to from that point on??
  14. Rotherian Well-Known Member

Since you are going off of level 20 as your concentration point (the point at which you decide to concentrate upon getting AAs while you level :p ) , you can use the following formula to give you a baseline against which to measure your AA gain (and determine any necessary slider adjustments):

baseline average = (280 - (AA upon reaching concentration point)) / (90 - (level of concentration point))

In this case, we can plug in the value of the level of the concentration point (since we know it is 20):

baseline average = (280 - (AA upon reaching concentration point)) / (90 - 20) = (280 - (AA upon reaching concentration point)) / 70

To show how it works out mathematically, we can plug an arbitrary value of 7 into the AA upon reaching concentration point variable (of course, this will vary depending upon how many you actually have upon reaching level 20*):

baseline average = (280 - 7) / 70 = 273 / 70 = 3.9 ≈ 4 AA / level

So as long as you are earning the baseline average per level, you should be fine. This doesn't mean that you have to stop earning experience until you get your baseline, it just serves as a guideline to get you in the general vicinity of where you will need to be if you don't want to do an excessive amount of grinding once you hit level 90**.

* I just used 7 because I knew 273 would only divide out to the tenths place, which made the math relatively simple to show.
    ** Which is also a valid means of gaining AA, but to me it is about as pleasant as shaving with a cheese grater***. :p
    *** Your personal mileage may vary. ;)
  15. Teleute New Member

Gaaaahh! Is that... that real Math stuffies???

Awk! Umm, okay so I will leave the AA Slider saaaaaay at '25' for now and see what happens. :D
  16. Rotherian Well-Known Member

If you are on a Windows™ PC, any recent Windows™ OS generally comes with a calculator application already loaded, so that can take care of the actual calculation once you plug the values in. Then all you really have to do is round to the nearest whole number (which will probably be 3 or 4).

Or you can just not worry about it until you get to 90 and hope that you can get a Skyshrine group to help you grind AAs. It is really up to you.
  17. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

I really find it easier to just grind in one or two high population dungeons till I get to 90 or so. Then I can chrono and go back and pick up AA I didn't get on the way up. It's really easy chrono'd and faster.

I suppose it's six of one, half dozen of another though.