Housing & Leaderboards "Ratings" UI Feedback

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Bunji, May 29, 2020.

1. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

What would really help in finding a particular house would be to have a REAL Search function... :-/

Right now, there's only like one category you can search by, which I believe is Author. Still doesn't help at all if all you know is the name of the house or the size of it or any other category. :-/

And we really need one for the actual decorators, if those are different from the authors/owners... ;->

Uwk
  2. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Bloody stupid laggy forum tonight; screwed up on finally posting anything and "timed out," "took too much time, oopsie," etc., etc., etc. Hence the double post that I'm now -- editing. >:-/

Uwk
    Soara2 and Breanna like this.
  3. Morukta The ORIGINAL Micro-Gnome

I am not sure if anyone else's posts referenced these thoughts, I haven't read them all thoroughly just yet:

Bring back the Dev Picks!! This was always a fun category for me, and I still miss the activity it generated.

I think making the Hall of Fame & having a category for those homes is great, but that shouldn't remove a house from it's other listings for size, etc.

While I like the idea of all the great homes that people have made to allow fast, easy transport across Norrath, those home invariably sit at the top spots and NOBODY ever gets to hit the #! in Creativity or Style anymore. Those homes should be knocked out of the top spot and perhaps a category of 'Most Useful' or something similar could be added with another vote option for that category.
    Cyliena, Moonpanther, Juraiya and 3 others like this.
  4. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Or, heck, put them in the Dev Picks... :-/

Uwk
    KauaiJim, Soara2 and Breanna like this.
  5. Morukta The ORIGINAL Micro-Gnome

The problem with the "Dev Picks" is that it's a dead zone on the housing & leaderboards, unless I'm mistaken. I'll grant you that I haven't looked at that list in ages because there hasn't been any activity in years from what I recall, since we lost having a dedicated tradeskill developer (? Domino ?). As with the Hall of Fame, houses that meet the criteria shouldn't be de-listed from their normal parameters of size, recently published, tops in style or creativity, etc.

I do think that a vote option of usefulness would be appropriate for homes dedicated to fast travel, ports, etc. Many that I have looked at seem to have NOTHING in the way of decoration & house items beyond all the transport portals available for house placement. I just don't think those houses should preclude everyone else their chance to get a #1 in style or creativity.
  6. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Amen. I had one house of my own, a Mistmoore Crags Estate, that I'd only published purely for the sake of having my alts be able to access my Frostfell crafting stations quickly and easily (many were of an opposite alignment ;->). I literally had the three crafting stations, a Harvest Depot, and a Fuel Depot, and.......maybe some Hedge things from Nights of the Dead to "wall off" the three wings leading from the main room. That was it, and yet I got a Hall of Fame trophy out of it! X-P

That was weird... :-/ I mean, I appreciated the votes and all, but that's not why I did it, and I eventually just got into a guild with a Guild Hall and set up everyone that way. /shrug

Uwk
    Soara2, Breanna and Morukta like this.
  7. Hartay Keeper of the Server Hamsters

8. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

It's still on the Housing Leaderboards and can still be accessed; is it that no Devs are picking things actively any more? :-/

I think the last time I saw any noise made about it, was when they were setting Cloudrat's transport houses in amber (extra points for those who get the Fringe reference ;->). Nothing since then? :(

Uwk
  9. Ocarinah Well-Known Member

There has been lots of houses across all the servers going into Dev Picks. I have seen people mentioning it in homeshow channel and also see it when I peek there from time to time. Probably not one in a couple months since so much is going on with the game. GU, prelude event, back to back holidays, they added a bunch of items to moonlight, expansion is coming very soon, etc. Plus, all the new recipes from Marketplace. Busy time of year for RL stuff too. It is meant to be a special category. I am sure once things calm down there will be more time for Devs to take a look at what we are doing. I do know they look at house swaps and contests cuz the ones I saw people mentioning getting into Dev Picks were part of events. Events are open to people of all skill levels ;).

Want to try an event? One of the stickied pages called "The Decorator's Resource (Guides and Links)" is updated all the time with the Events section appearing at top. The first two posts of the thread are updated by me. Doesn't show it being updated but it really is updated. Has great links to holiday events too (write-ups by DenMum). Check it out ;):rolleyes:
  10. Moonpanther Well-Known Member

I'll second the suggestions here. It would be nice to see the leaderboards more active again and to also see more ratings for dev pick and house awards. Many decorators put substantial work into their homes and that is the reason a lot play the game is to build and decorate.
  11. Aelissa Well-Known Member

Would it be possible to add a "decorated by" spot to the publishing window?
    We do a lot of trades, or just decorate other's homes, but the owner is only recognized and recieves the title and trophy, when it was the decorator's creativity and long hours to make the places so amazing.
    I would love for the decorator of my trades home to get the credit and the title bump, as it's rightfully thiers, not mine. I do also decorate, and have made a book to keep track of the projects for myself, but it's a shame that most of my trophy's are not really mine, or shouldn't be, because I decorated someone else's home that may or may not have gotten one, and a title bump.
    The other reason I would love a "decorated by" area is because a lot of times someone will ask me to show them homes I have done before "hiring me" to do thiers, or their guild halls. If i could point them to search the decorated by tab, it would be so much easier.
    Murpau made me think of this because in all the years i have decorated, she was the first person to come to me and ask me to give the trophy for her home. I was both surprised and thought it was the sweetest thing ever. I wanted to do the same also.
  12. Mythical House Item Well-Known Member

A big problem is accessing homes that are on the leaderboards but their rent is due. It is frustrating to have to filter through the listings when several are inaccessible due to unpaid rent. Please consider either adding a feature so that visitors who aren't on the trustee list can pay the rent to visit the home, or if the system will remove it after X amount of time and/or (if coding permits) send a reminder mail to the publishing character to pay their rent a week or two before it goes into unavailable due to unpaid rent, and remove it from published listings.

There are several homes that players who are no longer with us have designed and published, but the rent cannot be paid and the houses cannot be viewed, that people still enjoy visiting. An option to pay the rent for them would be wonderful, or at least remove them automatically when it can no longer be accessed.
    Edelphia, Vuurvink, Geroblue and 5 others like this.
  13. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Amen! I've long argued for something like that for visiting a home just to get the deal on the Broker items, since it's misleading to have the address available in the Broker lists and if they have ONE prestige house, apparently that "opens" all their houses on the Broker list, regardless of whether or not the actual house you need to visit has had rent paid or not. X-P

My idea was similar to the Voting for a house: you could only do it once per account for that particular house on that server, but it'd pay the rent for the person for a week, and you could then come in and visit it or buy stuff there. It wouldn't make the owner dependent on "the kindness of strangers," but at least it could be done.

And for the folks who are no longer with us, but their homes are amazing and/or Dev Picks, etc., there ought to be a way to have those be Rent-Free in perpetuity, though I'm not sure how that could be swung. Definitely something a dev would have to do, perhaps.

Uwk
    Edelphia, Geroblue and Breanna like this.
  14. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

It seems that it should not be too difficult for the powers-that-be to place four Treasure Hoards in each of the houses where the owner has passed away.
    For myself, if I have sales crates in a non-Prestige home, I place the hoards so this issue will not crop up.
  15. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

D'oh! Brilliant idea, yeah! :)

Especially since I know they're definitely keeping ahold of the various Cloudrat travel houses...but those may be prestige places, come to think. :-/

But yeah, the Powers have unlimited loyalty tokens... :D

Uwk
    who's still debating about consolidating all the various alts' Sales Crates per server in two "neutral" houses (a New Halas one for Goods, a Gorowyn one for Evils) and doing that four Hoard bit there for all of them...
    Aelissa, Breanna and Rosyposy like this.
  16. Morukta The ORIGINAL Micro-Gnome

I absolutely agree with this 100% !!
  17. Morukta The ORIGINAL Micro-Gnome

I've seen a few people homes that they did exactly that in, minus the 4x Treasure Hoards.

I did something like this - I put all my characters' Research Apprentices into a Research Sanctum house & that's where I camp all my toons. It's also a sort of transport hub, as every toon's prestige homes have a portal there, as well as a guild hall door, plus depots for all my various hoardings (harvests, L&L, fuels, food & drink, etc).
    The daily 'grind' of collecting from my ponies & goblins and doing the daily research tasks is pretty quick with that all set up in the entry round room.
    :D
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Rosyposy like this.
  18. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

On the two servers where I "inherited" the guilds and I'm the only member left (though with all the Hoardlings there, those guilds look like healthy, functioning ones; thank goodness the halls are in Gorowyn [best place in the Norrathian universe for a guild hall; everything's RIGHT THERE, just outside the door :D], and we don't need a lot of amenities), I've got a 6-room Gorowyn house just "down the street." That's where I have my Depots (especially Harvest and Fuel ones; thank The Powers that those got expanded!) and crafting stations, 'cause there are times you don't want to have that many mats cluttering up the Shared Bank. In one of them, I occasionally forget I don't keep imbuing materials there, or a lot of rares, and still have to schlep out to the Bank anyway...sigh. At least that's right outside the door... :D

And thank goodness for the Nebulous Newsies questline; I was able to get all the Elaborate stations and pay my GH status rent unto the next Ice Age or so. ;->

Uwk
    who, ironically, doesn't actually have everyone's Sales Crates and apprentices there, too, though maybe I should...good idea! :)
    Breanna and Rosyposy like this.
  19. Almee Well-Known Member

I agree. I've decorated a number of houses for other people who got trophies for my decorating. It would be nice to let people know who really did the decorations. Not everyone can get a prestige house, to decorate, or afford one of the bigger rented houses. I know I was could only afford hovels, initially, so it was nice being able to decorate someone else's larger home. It would have been nice if people had known I did the decorating.
  20. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

And there's only so much room on the house name line for acknowledgements... :(

Uwk
    Edelphia and Geroblue like this.