High Elf bad for Ranger Class?

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-Philo Beddo, Nov 11, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Philo Beddo Guest

I'm a completely new to the EQ games. Was High Elf a bad choice for starting as a scout? I plan to be a ranger.

I notice the low strength, the high wisdom which seems wasted.
  2. ARCHIVED-blitz Guest

You know, it's not perfect, but it's not terrible. Traditionally high elves would be casters or cleric types, but the game is about Roleplaying what you like, isn't it? By level 40, starting stats will have almost no bearing on your characters abilities. More will be determined by traits you choose, your equipment, and your brains/skill. here's where the skill comes in - Sometimes you need to pull. Sometimes you need to run through a dungeon infested with baddies, sometimes you need to make decisions about entering into encounters because you're a group leader, all of these things are more effected by your personal understanding of the game then by your class, period. A wizard who knows how aggro works and his own limitations will pull better than a warrior who has no idea what he's doing, it's just true. I say all that to say this; if you LIKE your character, if you can dig the style of RP you do with him/her, keep the character. Don't stress out about having the perfect starting stats at the expense of something you enjoy.
  3. ARCHIVED-Philo Beddo Guest

You know, that was an excellent response..

From my past MMORPG experience, I expected something along the lines of, "I chose halfling, I would so pwn you in a duel. Try READING the manual noob."

I like this place already..
  4. ARCHIVED-blitz Guest

Haha, I know exactly the type of response you mean, I've gotten it plenty. I'm glad I could 'enrich the experience'. Although, if it makes you feel better, you are a newb, I will pwn you, I'm so drunk right now, my girlfriend is a stripper, I get paid by Blizzard to play WoW while the government pays me to hack, anndd I can see you through your monitor.

What server do you play on? Steamfont by any chance?
  5. ARCHIVED-Blackard Guest

The Key atribute of the scout class is agility. The high elf starts with 20 agi, where as the wood elf starts with 30 agi.

That is about the difference, which can be overcome in time.

What it amounts to is a slight handicap to be overcome, nothing more. Small sacrifice to pay for the ability to play the race you really want. Go for it.
  6. ARCHIVED-Bunkster Guest

Haha, I know exactly the type of response you mean, I've gotten it plenty. I'm glad I could 'enrich the experience'. Although, if it makes you feel better, you are a newb, I will pwn you, I'm so drunk right now, my girlfriend is a stripper, I get paid by Blizzard to play WoW while the government pays me to hack, anndd I can see you through your monitor

That made my morning blitz, just hilarious. And good advice also, I wouldn't worry so much about stats either. Just pick what you want to be and enjoy it. You'll never be useless based on your race/class combo, so choose something your going to be happy with playing for possibly years.
  7. ARCHIVED-Cavel Guest

In the words of SOE themselves there is no race that will be so severly handicapped by the choice of Archtype based on that races starting stats as to make the combination unplayable... To decipher that a bit more it means that you could make say a High Elven Fighter Archtype (High elves have the Lowest Str out of all the good races) and still do the job you were ment to do, as the other posters stated you will gain items and Stat bumps as you go that will make all things roughly equal...

Cavel
  8. ARCHIVED-kaid Guest

My friend has an ogre priest and is loving it. If an ogre can be a priest a high elf can be a ranger no sweat.

kaid
  9. ARCHIVED-AtcMickey Guest

Great answer.

Sony did a good job in this aspect of the game.

Kudos
  10. ARCHIVED-clownfisch Guest

I picked high elf with intentions to be a ranger too. :smileyhappy:

I'm from EQOA and similarly, humans are generally considered to be "better" rangers, but the way I saw it, it's a role playing game, why should I keep being a human? I was an elf ranger there and now I'm going for a high elf ranger. So just play how you like, people aren't going to not group with you over a few stat points of difference, and if they do, you prolly wouldn't want to play with them anyways.
  11. ARCHIVED-Kehoe Guest

IMO.. it's a poor job, the Race's stats are so close to one and another it's unimportant wich race you choose. wich should mean we could just all play humans.

i dont wanna see a Ogre Ranger do the same dmg output/ have the same tracking skills.. etc etc as me when we are level 50.

at least not like they did with the char creation process, as we cant change the starting stats of the chars.
    If we could have changed em, i would have loved this.. but now it just seems like we are all playing Humans with a diffrent skin over the body, diffrent lenght and diffrent body mass.

(just my 5 copper, no need to flame my *** for it :) )
  12. ARCHIVED-blitz Guest

Racial traits and RP style are what make the difference. The things you see as detriment I see as positive. You can be ANYTHING as ANYTHING, play to your personality. The lack of people whos personality is "Troll ranger" should act as a natural limiter to that. People who are drawn to rangers are usually drawn for the reasons that rangers aren't trolls (quickness, small size, extreme rad-osity. Things embodied by an elf of some sort, or a human perhaps.) See my point? :)
  13. ARCHIVED-Skean Guest

The RP answer: Don't worry, even the largest stat deficiencies can be overcome, so play what you like and it will work out.

A technical answer: At first with the lower AGI your power poll will be small compared to a Wood Elf or a Rat. In most fights you'll not see a difference; a big group fight can really drain the power as you're busy pounding on your Combat Arts. However, your high WIS will help you resist enemy spells.

(The above technical answer is also for the guy who didn't like the EQ2 ARAC system; in his Fighter example the Ogre can mash on his Arts constantly while the Erudite will be out of Power quickly sucking wind).
  14. ARCHIVED-Demolitions Guest

Just play what you want. If being a High Elven Ranger is what you want to be, so be it.

I'm a Half Elven Warrior. Which High Elves aren't exactly known for their durability in a battle, but I thought it would be neat. I see Kerran tanks, Barbarian tanks, dwarves and woodelves all the time. Not sure if I can say that I've seen another High Elven Warrior. I'm all about setting my character to being what I like.

Playing a toon just for the stats are for the obsessed number crunching types. The higher you go, the better you upgrade your gear, the less your base stats are going to matter.

and so far I'm still kicking tail at lvl 13.

I was stoked last night taking on an oakmyst great bear (blue .. lvl 10 with 2 up arrows) three times.

All was good till Grubdigger spawned and aggro'd me :(

I just was off later when an identical bear stomped me repeatedly :\ But atleast I know it's doable.
  15. ARCHIVED-Demolitions Guest

oops High elven warrior (slight brainfart)

Don't
  16. ARCHIVED-Demolitions Guest

Don't mind me ... I get hit in the head alot ... I meant High Elven Warrior ... and the screen refreshed on me ..

Pardon me while I go cry in the corner
  17. ARCHIVED-blitz Guest

*hug* it's ok. you can edit your posts if you click on "Options" on the right ;)

fyi.

-b
  18. ARCHIVED-Demolitions Guest

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I so need to buy SOE Forums for dummies :)

Thanks for the heads up
  19. ARCHIVED-Branix Guest

I agree that High Elf is a fine race for a ranger. My choice was Barbarian. hahahaha.

Can you imagine being a badguy and all of a sudden you feel your lower spine rip in half and you look down to see two blood drenched blades sticking out of your belly. You turn to fight and see a 6 foot 8 inch blue tattooed, hugely muscled guy with a long white mustache that looks like fangs... grinning at you. Then all you see is him raising his arms into the sky as if he is worshiping some death god and swinging his blades with all of his might into your body. Whack whack whack whack. Your head is spinning, blood is spraying into the sky and within 25 seconds you are dead.

I think Barbarian was a good choice. :)
  20. ARCHIVED-blitz Guest

Awesome image! I know you'll like it, just because you have such a vivid picture of your Roleplaying character. You're gonna have a lot of fun ;)
    Message Edited by blitz on 11-16-2004 04:29 PM