Hi there! New player here. :)

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Tawnee, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Tawnee New Member

Well, hello there everyone. :) My name is Tawnee, and I am new to Everquest II. The game looks like a lot of fun though, and I am excited to begin. Does anyone have any advice on what class, race and/or server I should choose? I like playing DPS type classes, preferably one that is capable of soloing quite well, as I don't know anyone who plays EQII. But I'm definitely looking forward to meeting new people. Anyway, cheers and thanks in advance for any helpful comments!
  2. Ivory Member

What type of DPS do you prefer? Melee or Ranged?

Race doesn't make that much difference. Play a Race that you find visually appealing. Each class has its own advantages but they don't make much difference when it comes to end game.

All classes are more than capable of soloing almost all content. With a Merc, it becomes even easier.
  3. Regolas Well-Known Member

The best soloers are generally tank classes. The ones that do the most dps are brawlers (monks/bruisers), shadowknights and beserkers.

If you have the AoD expansion, beastlords are a dps class that's very powerful.

All classes can solo mobs designed to be soloable. Group content gets trickier but some classes have easier times.
  4. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Lord love em, but tanks are just about the slowest, most pitiful soloers anywhere, and they DEFINITELY are not DPS classes.

Our DPS classes are scouts and mages. The big DPS are beastlords, followed by assassins and wizards. Swashbucklers, rangers, brigands, warlocks, conjurors and necromancers tend to be the next tier of damage-dealers. The bards (troubador and dirge) and enchanters (illusionist and coercer) we consider support classes, though they don't do near as much DPS.

If you like questing and plan to take your time and see it all, a conjuror or a necromancer can be really good classes to play. I suspect beastlords are as well, but I haven't yet rolled one. Assassins, rangers, swashbucklers and brigands likewise solo well because they are moderately armored (chain armor) and deal a goodly amount of DPS.

Soloing with any mage class requires you to have some sense of humor about dying. Mages wear cloth armor, and you can't stand toe to toe with monsters mostly. That's why I recommend the summoners (conjy and necro): they have a pet who can tank for you. Otherwise, casters end up doing a "nuke and root" routine: if you can't one-shot yoru target, you root it, hit it once or twice, back up a step or two if needed, re-root, nuke again, etc.

Every single class in the game can solo to 92 without much difficulty. You may not be able to do every quest available, but you can certainly get a big swathe of the world explored and its monsters beaten. In the end, pick a couple that seem attractive to you. Play them to level 20 and then evaluate.
  5. Kalderon Well-Known Member

Despite of a monk can do good dmg on raid, it´s right. Ok not talking about doing 1 mio and above (which a monk happen to hit some raids before.).
    I would suggest bl, as its fun to play, no need to go that deep into it and it produces nice amount of dmg. Assasin is also fun, but not that easy to get into it, to performe above normal.
    Despite of bl can heal them self not that bad, paired with a merc and you can do the hole new signature without any significant problems.
  6. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

From your forum icon, it looks like you have chosen the race you like already :)
  7. Natsume Member

Join Freeport!
  8. Snowhaze Active Member

I chose an Arasai for race and have not regretted it, pretty happy with the choice, the flying/floating thing will come in handy so many times as you level (being small has its advantages/disadvantages though). Later on, you can actually fly without a mount via a quest.
  9. wackemall New Member

I have an Arasai Assasin and she seems to be flying through levels going solo. Mind u I could be just have really low expectations lol