Hey all, new player here.

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Kewldudeirl, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Kewldudeirl New Member

Hey everyone, just checkin the game out, been lookin for a new mmo to play for awhile now, feelin the itch after having quit world of warcraft in 09. I am a beginner priest and I would like to get into this game but for some reason the game's interface and graphics just bother me. I don't mind the combat much because wow is the same way so I can dig the combat, the game play doesn't bother me so much really. I'm just wondering if the game gets better and funner later on? Also would I have to pay a subscription fee if I do continue with the game or would I just end up paying for the expansion packs while continuing to play the game without a subscription fee? I have no problem with paying for the expansions, but a subscription fee would be something different, in this economy even netflix and hulu as well as xbox live can be a bit much lol.
  2. Arieste Well-Known Member

The interface is customizable and you can get several - totally different - custom UIs (google "Profit UI for EQ2"), so if you don't like UI, that can be fixed.

If you don't like the graphics, that's a matter of taste. As much as I've heard about WoW, i can't bring myself to ever play it because the graphics look just horrid and out of date to me. To other people, WoW graphics are awesome and EQ2 looks like plastic. There really isn't any right answer, if you don't like the look of EQ2, it's not going to change. You just have to decide how important that is to you. I've played MMOs where i wasn't a huge fan of the graphics, but i couldn't play the ones (like WoW) where I outright hated them.

Starting as priest is probably the worst thing you can do for yourself. Don't get me wrong, I play a healer myself and healing in EQ2 is absolutely awesome. But the early game and much of the soloing is a big pain on a healer until you get more powerful abilities, gear and spells which simply aren't available that early on.

Also note that EQ2 is over 8 years old. There isn't much of a low-level population, so the majority of the game has been adjusted to allow it to be explored solo. Lot's of fun quests and tons of content, just not a lot of group interaction until you get to 95. For a healer especially, this is painful, since healers truly shine when healing groups, not soloing. (Although in your 90s, your healer will absolutely ROCK at soloing unless you're a templar).
  3. Kewldudeirl New Member

I'm starting as a templar priest, I just wanna feel like I'm being something useful, I've never healed before in wow I was mostly dps classes there so I decided to change things up a bit. I'm not having too much difficulty killing anything, but then again I'm still in the starting zone. I'll continue down the road and give the game a chance, if I like it I'll obviously keep playing, if not, least I gave it a decent chance.
  4. Alenna Well-Known Member

Good for you what server you on? Templar is a fun priest class and if you are having fun with it go for it. most of us know you will enjoy the game more if you play the class you want to.
  5. Regolas Well-Known Member

Templar is a slow class to solo with. You may prefer an inquisitor, which is an evil templar which is more of a melee battle cleric.

You don't have to pay a subscription. Right now a subscription will allow you to move your AA slider to determine how much xp goes to AA points, allow you to buy and trade on the broker, and use legendary and fabled items and spells. All but the AA slider can be unlocked on a per item/per use basis for a few cents (around 25c a time).

There are two different appearances for most races. Normal and SOGA, you can pick and choose which ones you see for each race under options. I have a mixture, some classes I think look better in standard mode, others in SOGA.

I love this game and loved EQ1 before it. So much so that I never considered going to WoW and betraying Sony. But that's personal opinion only, you may not like it.
  6. Dexella Associate Producer

Welcome to Norrath! :) I think you'll like it around here.

Everyone else has given you some advice on classes/play style, but I wanted to provide a few links to your options as you consider subscriptions. Here is our free-to-play matrix, which explains the different levels. Silver is a one-time payment of 500SC (Station Cash), and unlocks things like chat and guild creation, and gives you two additional character slots.

Aside from subscribing to Gold Membership, you can also consume Krono, which you buy from/trade for in game. They are sold for real money ($17.99/each), and then players can sell or trade them in game. The costs players charge varies by server/seller. The link I provided has a full FAQ.

As you're learning more about your class, I'd also recommend you check out some of our fan sites for guides, like our official wiki, EQ2i (here's the Templar page!) or EQ2 ZAM. There is a large link list in our fan site news & announcements forum with more places to help you out as well.

Hope you like it here! By the way, which starting city did you choose?
  7. Kwill New Member

I think the gold membership is still a really good value, and allows you to experience the game without limitations, but FTP is better now that they have lifted some of the restrictions. I second the idea that templar is not the best starting class -- if you want to heal, choose fury or mystic to start, easy to solo, liked in groups up to raid level play. However, playing a class to about level 30 will certainly give you a good idea if you like it or not. As for the game becoming "more fun" -- yes, in that you get more spells and more powerful equipment, but the lore and questing is pretty much the same. I love the starting game, the quests are always fun and interesting, and you get nice gear to progress. There is so much to explore, and this game is a lot less linear than WoW (and the people are nicer IMO). Learning your class is a real skill, too, unlike other games. A great healer is always needed.

Good luck! Be sure to find a guild that suits you, that goes a long way to making the game user friendly.
  8. Ledan Member

95 / 320 Templar here!
    Although it was tough at 1st playing the Templar, after mid level it was a breeze I even grinded out all my aa's without being power leveled.. They are a fun class to play and don't let people fool ya they are excellent healers =)