Heroic Characters Level Up to 90!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Windstalker, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Siren Well-Known Member

You obviously don't understand the situation: SOE needs to keep the lights on.

I'll bet most EQ2 players are silver from being long-term players grandfathered in from their prior gold days. A small percentage are gold or bronze.

SOE does not owe free players anything. Be happy you can play the game at all. EQ2 has one of the more flexible, palatable F2P systems out there. Go play ArchAge, Allods, LoTRO, DDO or even TOR sometime if you want examples of significantly worse, more restrictive forms of F2P.

And the cash shop here is not pay to win whatsoever. Pay to win = advantages ONLY available from the cash shop, like special gear or weapons, etc. What little that even affects character progression at all in EQ2's cash shop is more convenience stuff than anything; it all can be gotten in-game too. Be grateful for it. It helps keep the lights on in EQ2 for all of us.
    Belenos, Spindle, Hijinx and 2 others like this.
  2. Caith Developer

All heroic characters will be granted the level 90 heroic gear once they reach level 90, whether they leveled via play or used the bauble.

If either you adventure level or alternate advancement level is below the new threshold it will be brought up to that threshold, without affecting the level that is already at or exceeding the threshold. So in your examples you would be 90/330 or 92/320.

The granted gear pack is granted to every heroic character at or above level 90. It is completely independent of the bauble that will increase heroics to 90/320.
    Belenos, Llwellyn and Kurisutaru like this.
  3. floofloobunny Active Member

All my Qs have been so far asked and answered except one, Is the mount different for the 90 bauble or is it the same frosty pegasus? I only really liked the frosty peg for one of my heroics but if the lvl 90 mount is different, Id like to see what it is and hopefully we can have an option to trade it out for the new one at lvl 90. Is the the 90 different? If so, what does it look like?
  4. Harmonized Member

Bring back DM and let us level up for free!
  5. Alphonsus Well-Known Member

No, you don't understand. This has NOTHING to do with F2P vs Sub's. I've been paying for my account since Day 1, and I was referring to sub'd players such as myself. As far as F2P goes, I was happy when they had their own server...
  6. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

You can level up for free. Leveling has always been free. Leveling occurs when you play the game and experience the content which you can do in a variety of ways, all free.
    Fetish, Belenos, Ridolain and 3 others like this.
  7. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

They didn't mention that the mount would change, so I am assuming it is the same one.
  8. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

You were implying that this game is pay to win giving heroic characters as an example. The poster was saying that heroic characters are optional and not required to play the game. Selling optional items on the market place such as heroic characters, mounts, houses, etc. is a way for them to generate revenue to support the game. You don't have to buy anything from the market place to play and enjoy this game.
    Fetish, Belenos, Siren and 1 other person like this.
  9. floofloobunny Active Member

Based on this;
    "Purchased Level 90 Heroic Characters will come with Level 90 (Adventure only), 320AAs, a full set of gear, food/drink, ammo, potions (as appropriate) and a mount with stats! New Heroic Characters will also start in Eidolon Jungle with content in our Chains of Eternity expansion."

and this under the WTFudge part;

It will update your character’s level to 90, AAs to 320, and give you a set of gear, food/drink, ammo, potions (as appropriate), and retain their existing flying mount.

It leads me to think that a Coldain pegasus isnt meant for a jungle starting zone and there is in fact a different one that will be with the new lvl 90 heroics.Thats my impression anyway, thats why Im asking about it. I just bought the heroic bauble a few days ago and if I hadnt I probably would have gotten a mount appearance appropriate for a jungle setting.

I also have majority of my heroics, even the ones freely given, at 85 still. If Im to be upgraded, Id like to have the option for any new mount appearance vs the coldain since I will now be questing in a jungle, only 1 of my toons likes the cold one.
  10. Dielace New Member

I have to wonder if this means they are bumping the Level agnostic dungeons from a cap of level 89 so that people who buy the Heroic Characters can still partake in them.I would like to see them bumped to 95 anyways so that I can run them with my friends that are all in the 90-95 range.
    kadon_storm likes this.
  11. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

They are going make LAD's available for levels 95 and up this year. They are also going to be adding more Public Quests to the game which were always fun. I am looking forward to both.
    Shmogre likes this.
  12. hwy101 Active Member

Mizgamer62 you can exp all the content you want. I don't want to level up 12 toons your way. The game is pay to win when a brand new player can fork out 35 bucks and be level 90. Thats 90% pay to win no matter how you slice it. The content argument is a big joke. Bring back the DM's for those that like to play that way. Ill pay 35 buck to have Feature : Pre NERF DM's please. Thank you very much.
  13. VeilShard Active Member

So basically you bought a 85 character and 280 and leveled it a bit, (btw it took me about an hour to go from 280-320 aa's yesterday) and now you want a different character entirely at 90 and 320 aas? Sorry but I think they have to draw the line somewhere. That's a little bit like double dipping. I don't often agree with every decision this company makes but I think they made a good choice here.
    Siren, Mizgamer62 and Griff like this.
  14. ingenius Member

will you aka soe put the the chains of eternity signature quest into the journal's of the heroics? as they need it to even do quests there. or will you open the quests up regardless for them?
  15. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

When you make several alts you know that you are going to have to level them (adventure/aa each time either of those things increases with a new expansion). Its a responsibility you accept when you make them. Again, heroic characters are optional and that isn't pay to win. Pay to win implies that something must be purchased in order to play the game.
    Kurisutaru, Belenos, Ridolain and 2 others like this.
  16. Griff Well-Known Member

Totally agreed! The more alternates I make, the more flexibility I have and the more time I will be required to invest in those characters. Heroic characters are a stepping stone, not a final destination.

For some the purpose is top be able to max out that character as a crafter and not have to tippy toe through the high level zones or be forced to level adventuring first when their goal is to be a crafter. Others have grown tired of doing the 1st 85 levels over and over on many alternates and choose a heroic character. It's a convenience, not a game maker/breaker.
  17. Sapphirius Well-Known Member

I will agree that heroic characters are a convenience, not a game-maker/breaker. You can still do DMs, and you can still level... for FREE even! (To be honest, I didn't even know about the DM xp exploit, but even if I had, it wouldn't have changed anything.)

I do have heroic characters. While I've gotten very skilled at completing crafting quests on baby characters that other crafters claim cannot be done on a lowbie... after 4 or 5 times of dodging level 90 mobs on a level 10 to 30 crafting mule, I do get tired of tippy-toeing. So once every other month, I pick one of my crafting mules to upgrade. They will never see the light of day outside of the crafting room unless they're doing crafting quests. They're just sitting there at 85 adv. and 100 crafting, doing writs and doing crafting questlines.

If someone chooses to think I've paid to win, then it's no skin off my back. How do you win EQ2 anyway? Do you get some sort of special prize and title for completing every quest, seeing and completing every zone, grinding up every faction to max, killing every named, or something like that? Because, if there's an "I win!" button, I haven't found it yet.
  18. Sarkoris New Member

Never mind - found the answer on a previous page - teach me to read forums at work the first time.

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, didn't see if mentioned - but if you have a heroic character over level 90 but with less than 280 aa - will using the bauble to increase your aa to 320 have an adverse effect of my characters level.

Sark.
  19. Merriel Well-Known Member

I think people do not understand the "Pay to Win" concept. I understand that the company needs to pay the bills. I understand that players are willing to spend extra if it means speeding up their natural progression in the game. It only makes sense that a company would offer the opportunity to do so. The true concept of "Pay to Win" however, is this:

Player 1 plays for free, therefore is limited to only those features that are made available to a free-to-play character (zero to limited broker use, inability to utilize in game mail, etc). These players can still progress in the game, and accomplish just about everything that even a pay to play character can accomplish. It just takes them longer to reach their end goals. Not being able to learn their grandmaster spells, imo, is most definitely a pay-to-win feature, as pay to play characters do receive an obvious advantage over those who do not pay to play, with upgraded spells.

Player 2 pays $35 for a heroic character, and instantly levels to 85 or 90. This player also pays a monthly subscription fee of $15 per month, which opens up all in-game features, including the ability to access the broker just about anywhere, and send items via in game mail, research/learn grandmaster spells, etc.

Who is going to progress through the game faster? The answer is pretty obvious...Player 2 has already progressed by 85-90 levels instantly. This is not, however, the "Pay-to-Win" concept. The 'Pay-to-Win' concept in the above scenario's, is simply the difference between being able to research/learn grandmaster or higher spells, which gives the paying customer an obvious advantage over the free-to-play player. This is the only 'Pay-to-Win' situation I have witnessed in this game, unlike many of the other "Free...err, Pay to Play" games I have explored in the past.

I'm not saying SOE shouldn't charge to be able to progress through the game faster. In fact, it would be very foolish of them not to. I just think that, as a business, if they really want to hang onto their player base, they need to put more thought into their actions. Nerfing the dungeons and saying it was an 'exploit' to reach end-game content in an unintended manner, then turning around and contradicting that statement by offering an even higher, level 90 heroic character...if you pay...was imo a very bad move on their part. Maybe if they had waited a year or so before offering the new upgraded heroic character, it wouldn't have been viewed so much as a money grab by so many of their existing players who were already upset at the dungeon nerf, but this came just on the heels of that nerf.

While it doesn't affect me personally, as far as my game play goes, since I never used dungeons to level, every bad move on their part equates to more players who quit the game which will eventually result in the game being sunsetted, which will equate to one more game I have invested time and money into to vanish into thin air, leaving me with absolutely nothing to show for it. I would rather they simply be honest and straightforward in the decisions they make, and do what they can to market and promote this game, and keep it going for another ten or twenty years, than to see them keep stabbing themselves in the foot, driving more and more players away with each bad decision they make.

So yeah, it doesn't affect my game play, but it does affect the future of the game I would prefer to continue playing for years to come. Every move they make has some effect on the future of this game that I pay to play, and as a paying customer, I think I have every right to expect them to utilize these funds in a manner that will protect my interest in this game. Every poor decision they make, is just one more step towards D-Day, so even if it doesn't affect my game play, per se, it still has an affect on how long I will be able to continue to play, so yes, I will take time to express my opinion when they make what I consider to be a poor decision.

The poor decision, in this case, was simply to nerf dungeons, with the explanation that it was an 'exploit' to reach end game content faster, then turn around and offer the upgraded heroic characters, which also leads to reaching end game content faster. I would have preferred that they left the dungeons alone and let those players who want to play that way be...rather than nerf the dungeons, upset those players, and drive even more players away from the game. If those people choose to play their game that way, it's no skin off my nose. But driving those customers away by nerfing the dungeons does have an affect on the future of my game. Every player lost is one step closer to D-Day.
    Zookeeper, GrunEQ and hwy101 like this.
  20. hwy101 Active Member

Free to play get what they get at the grace of the game. So i dont include them they have made the choice not to pay. How is paying 35 bucks for a 90 level toon not paying to progress thru 90% of the game . I would like to pay 35 bucks to take a toon to what ever level i want or aa's i want Via DM's. The driving away of customers is true not only by the company.( MHO of course) But ive read in many posts where if you have a different view point. Players actually say that people who have a different point of view should not play the game, Should leave. Merriel you are very well able to communicate i hope one day to be able to post something like your last post almost a work of art. You pointed out the things that cause or motivate me to post about this. I should be saying congrats to SoE about Level 90 Heroic Toons. But i cant be happy about it for the reasons you pointed out. Sapp you playin it your way is like a ray of sunshine im happy for ya. Im happy that the company lets us exersize out freedom of speech within reason. If DM's were nerfed because bypass content. Buying a level 90 toon for 35 bucks bypasses 90% of content. I say again i would pay 35 bucks for the feature Pre Nerf Dm's. o_O
    Alenna and Sapphirius like this.