Here to Help if needed

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by ARCHIVED-Thor71457, Jul 5, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-Thor71457 Guest

I see it has been awhile, not to much talking in the Pally fourm ... I f you have an ? I will try to help you out ..
  2. ARCHIVED-Secard Guest

Well sense you asked! I have a noobish question.
    My friend and I are starting back up after years of being away (4?). We are not too keen on end game content, and we are going to take our sweet time slowly visiting all the vanilla content that we miss so dearly, as we level lock and grind AAs. We also have several thousand plat to "blow" so we will be well fitted, and we plan on only duo'ing.
    Now with that in mind, the plan is to get two mercs (two healers I suppose, do they make a large difference?) to fallow us as my friend plays a Brigand, and I will tank. I am torn right now between a Monk, and a Paladin. What would you say would be the better class in this situation? Which one will have the better likelihood to be able to duo old content as it comes, such as ghoul bane for example, with the right kind of gear (and chronomentoring if needed).
    All the information I seem to be able to find is that Brawlers are awesome tanks now late game, and Paladins are in kind of a bad state it seems? Would it serve our purpose better for me to play as a Monk? especially if we ever did get to end game content and grouped? Is the Monks single target DPS and survivability going to be miles above the Paladins in this situation? Any information, insight, or thoughts to my specific situation would be appreciated!
    Hope that was coherent enough, kind of late and tired from all of the forum digging I've done today and yesterday. And thank you in advance!
  3. ARCHIVED-Boli32 Guest

A merc healer helps out with cures/heals; but in truth if you are going to level locking and AA grinding most likely you will experiance the content with a much higher level of gear than normal so the actual damage you'll experiance will be minimal and the mercs will often be an unessercary expense.
    In fact it may be more efficient to spend the plat you would have spent on your mercs on better gear. As for DPS wise with the gear, stat and AA upgrades you'll experiance a merc will hardly get a chance to hit anything much less make a meaningful addition to your group.
    A Brig/Pally is a nice duo... and the practice without a healer will help you learn how to use your healing abilities well in conjuction with tanking/DPSing.
    As for Endgame - that's up to you... although depending how slowley you take to get to max level Pallys may very well be back in vogue by the time you get there.
  4. ARCHIVED-Secard Guest

Thanks for the reply! So it sounds like we really won't need mercenaries the majority of the time. Am I right in assuming that the Paladin has grater survivability over the monk with all the heals, but the Monk will have greater DPS then the Paladin? Or is their DPS relatively similar now? Last time I played a Paladin was vanilla, and while I loved him, he was slow at killing. Granted it was my first character and he did not have anything for gear.
  5. ARCHIVED-Boli32 Guest

Secard wrote:
    You're going to be slow at killing, slow and steady. The brig will enable you to debuff mobs and kill faster generally. For tougher fights where you need to concentrate on healing a lot more you are going to NEED power proc items/consumables. If a Paladin runs out of power they are dead; it is that simple. In fact if I were to choose a merc it would be an enchanter for buffs/DPS/power over a pure healing merc.
    For both the Paladin and the Monk a lot of their survibility/healing/DPS comes in AA points; so comparing them at lower levels purely on class skills is problematic. At higher levels a monk is prefered due to the number of "oh expleted" buttons they possess allowing them to survive MUCH stronger hits; but even saying that if the hits don't kill you outright they are a lot more even (e.g. herioc instances) the survibility is much more even. Of course by the time you get to max level and consider raiding all could have changed.
    Notice I haven't discussed Pally vs Monk DPS as quite honestly it is too subjective and a well played pally can out DPS a poorly played monk - but you WILL notice a slight favouring to more damaging CAs/Spells for the monk - especially in the early levels but this evens out aroudn 40-70; especially when AA are included.
    Most - if not all of a paladins skills, weaknesses and benefits can be discovered yourself with a weekend of soloing/duoing/grouping and playing around with various AA specs. In fact it is normally better to do so as things worked out for yourself stick better in the head than things told/read. I will say this one thing though: Do *not* underestimate the "cure spells" endline - in many ways it is our most powerful ability.
  6. ARCHIVED-Secard Guest

Boli@Splitpaw wrote:
    Thanks so much for the time and info, I went Froglok Paladin and I am loving it so far. My only last question at this point is when to buy Destiny of Velious? I will be tradeskilling and most likely hit max level in that fairly quickly, and I think I remember that I can use a flying mount with tradeskilling at max, but adventure level not? Besides that will I not be able to use any AAs until I hit level 80 anyways? Is there any lower level content from DoV I should be aware of? You have been a grate help, and thank you for your time.

Also, alchemist or armorer? Or does it even mater?
  7. ARCHIVED-Boli32 Guest

Secard wrote:
    You can spend AA (up to a limit) but you can earn as many as you like up to that point.
    Not all zones allow a flying mount- many do not especially the lower levels so it isn't a big of a issue you would think.
  8. ARCHIVED-Silzin Guest

At lvl 30 you can get a Leaper Mount from Bucher Block witch helps getting around a lot.
  9. ARCHIVED-Thor71457 Guest

Leaper Mount from Bucher Block is an easy quest too .... On an other note my Pally is mid 40's I run with an Inny merc right now and it is hard to put us down... Thinking that I will the enchanter merc a try and see the diff.... I s good to see some more people in the Pally Fourms and Thanks Boli for the info good to see you again
  10. ARCHIVED-Boli32 Guest

Thor71457 wrote:
    I never left, I merely stopped playing.
  11. ARCHIVED-kniveslash Guest

I recently returned after a long break and decided to roll a pally. I'm not even level 10 yet but I have a question.
    Is faith strike bugged? The description says it heals me, but the effects list and combat log seem to disagree with it healing my enemy.