Help with my Coercer

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Alarra, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Alarra Well-Known Member

Hey Guys,
    I have been trying to figure out what is wrong with my coercer's dps I think it may be a gear issue. I've been playing Coercer for a while and thought I knew what I was doing in gearing, but looking at numbers I am no longer sure.

I will post a link to her here:
    http://u.eq2wire.com/soe/character_detail/450972114911

I average around 4mill to 9 mill in raids. And 3 mill to 7 mill in heroic. Of course if the mimic target is good I can spike up to 15 mill.

In my raid I haven't found a dps yet who will send me tells when they are going to let loose (a language barrier).
    So maybe an ACT trigger may help. Generally the top dps are Assassin, ranger, and conjuror(I don't know how to set the pet as a target in a target macro)

Have a look at my AA's and my gear and let me know if you see any points that need improvement. I currently need to reforge one piece for the reuse, but other than that I can't see much of were to improve it.

Using Spellweapon, jousting out for arcanus.
  2. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

For one even I can tell :) - you specs as a melee coercer with AoM (at least what I heard) you should go into double cast
  3. Alarra Well-Known Member

I did try caster spec, I even still have the gear for it. I dunno if the rotation was out or what, but I did 2 million less dps than with the melee spec.
    If you recommend that I try getting caster gear, I can see what I can do. My double cast is around 30% ish I think on the melee spec. I will be more when I get the cloak and belt upgraded.
    I could try a SDA rune instead of a flurry rune I guess. When I did the comparison, the caster spec gear was the same level as the melee spec gear. I also have a separate AA for caster as well.
    I will wait on further recommendations before I start yanking out and playing too much with gear. You can see the original Caster gear that I had, I think I muted the helm and hands, but like I said, I can always acquire them. Our raid has had the helm mob on farm for a while and no one needs it, so I can roll on it then. Well recently we shifted to Cathedral and Temple, so may have to settle for heroic, should have a few green shards in the inventory for it anyway. Getting close on 20-30 green gems from the quests.

Anyway, like I said will wait on some more feedback before pressing forward with changes.
  4. Gnomad_Madgon Active Member

Gear
    • Armor - swap out WDB/SWDB gear for CB/Pot gear. You will want to get your ability mod above 35k.
    • Fabled advance solo or heroic will offer up some other alternatives for select armor slots. One example http://u.eq2wire.com/item/index/739454195
    • Jewelry - most items are solid, I would swap out the uplifting blows ear for uplifting criticals. Also replace your neck, Finisher neck is not bad since you joust a lot for Unda.
    • I would only use the sigil of the war prince charm when absolutely needed. on most fights swap that out for a charm that will give you a dps burst. examples : salvo, growing criticals, hempen halter.
    • Cloak - Use http://u.eq2wire.com/item/index/1658263280 untill you get 4/4 on the heroic version.
    • Runes - I would only keep Bolstered Attributes. Pick up Winds of Obol, Sublime Viciousness, Magnitude, and perhaps True spirits Legacy. I noticed some of the war runs you are using are from ToV upgrade all to AoM.
    • Swap out flurry rune for DC.
    AA's
    • 10 Points in Nullifying Staff, 2 Points In Savants Insight, 0 in Uninterruptable Actions, 0 in channeled Focus. +12
    • Remove the points from Simple Minded, +5
    • Remove 2 points from Expertise, and 1 from Manasoul. +3
    • Trim 5 point from whatever else, probably Ancient Wave. (you can pick those up those losses by reforging)
    • That should net you 25 points to pick up EV. This should be cast on the top DPS class in your group, if they do not have two burst charms tell them to work on that.
    Reforging
    • Check your stats in your normal raid setup you are probably beyond some hard caps. The only stat I personally keep at hard cap solo is reuse speed.
    • Best bet is restore all you gear and start fresh.
    • Hit all offensive, and auto attack soft caps.
    • I noticed your recovery is higher then it needs to be, this will be higher still if you always have a bard in group
    • Accuracy - Ideally you want to be around 20-25 in raid.
    • Casting speed - 200
    • Haste - 400
    Regarding Mimicry it sounds like your best bet is either the assassin or the ranger. Have them create a macro to /rsay Mimic now or something to this effect when they are about to spike. Create a ACT trigger to match, this will make it easier to know when to mimic them. Only easy way to mimic a Conjurer pet is if they are in the same group as you. Double tap whatever function key will target them and cast mimicry directly on them. Usually a better option for an Illusionist as it is easy for them to know when the pet is going to spike.

Hope this helps. I play an Illusionist, feel free to take a look at my gear if you wish.

Gnomad ~ Crushbone
  5. Alarra Well-Known Member

Thanks for your advice, I used to run EV, but then I found that every single dps class had the EV charm that I tried to apply it to, it ended up going onto tanks and healers about 75% of the time. So I put the points elsewhere.

I have tried to get them to make a mimic macro, but they just don't so I am a little stuck on that point. Will see what I can do about it, but not gonna hold my breath on it. Was hoping if someone knew an ability which most assassin cast before the large damage spell to hit it before they started it.

Yeah the recovery is a little strange, It says I am bang on 100 in game but it says I am over on EQ2u.

I heard that accuracy affects melee, but wasn't sure about with spell weapon. Will have to check some parses and see my miss rate. Thought it was more about the focus skill.

I'll rework my caster gear set and bring in the jewellery into it to update it with my current gear and just change out the armour and reforge with your recommendations and redo the war runes with it. Magnitude was the only one not updated, forgot about it. Thought Winds of Obol was broken. Has it been fixed?

The neck has been a pain, just haven't been able to pick up a good one. Missed out on the Finisher the other night in raid. If there is another place to get it would be great to know as I can look at farming a little heroic on the off days.

As for the fabled caster gear, been trying to get the ab mod stuff, but always seem to get the mit stuff. Will see how I go.
  6. Tsurupettan Active Member

If your EV target is wearing the charm, inform them you are giving them EV. They can swap the EV charm to something else more valuable.

edit: Winds of Obol was fixed. They just made it potency to everything, period.
  7. Alarra Well-Known Member

Well I redid my caster gear spec, just need to reforge and adorn it up, will let you know when I am done, let me know what you think then.
  8. Alarra Well-Known Member

Well I finished reforging/adorning and re-doing the gear on my coercer with the stuff I had in my bags and the caster gear that I had from my previous change over.

After reviewing past parses I don't really see much use in increasing accuracy, already getting 85-98% hits on most fights, the 85% is usually when the mob is facing a strange way.

I did some dummy(3 immortal dummies for 5 mins each spec) parses without mimicry
    All in all caster did do better, but will have to see how it goes in groups. It seems promising. This is solo dps on a target with pretty much no resists so to be taken with a grain of salt. But they do give a baseline.

These are the results:

Melee:
    Total: 4.6m
    • Auto-attack: 1.4m
    • Spell Damage: 3.2m
    Caster:
    Total: 5.5m
    • Auto-attack: 900k
    • Spell Damage: 4.6m
    DoomDrake likes this.
  9. Mermut Well-Known Member

If you're going to go melee against raid mobs, you'll need some weaponry adorns to raise your melee skills..
  10. Alarra Well-Known Member

I use spell weapon, so the +Focus of the magic skill adorns magical skill adorns work. If I were using the actual melee weapon, then yes I would need weaponry adorns.
  11. Rondo9 Active Member

I would put EV on myself it this was a the case and use a DPS charm. Like Gnomad said swap the HP charm in for fights that need that it. No enchanter should not have EV!

Drop the stifle rune and use screams of battle - you have healers.

drop manasoul since there is only one fight that has a mana drain, IR I havent use that in a long time, Edge of Insanity really doesn't really debuff that much mit and for a spell that I hard use its a waste of points for me.

As far as mimic goes I think I know what you mean by language barrier (I play on unrest too) so you are in a hard spot on that one. Wizard might be your better choice if you have a higher parsing one since they seem to be casting bigger stuff more often but it really comes down to your target.

Next thing to look at is your casting order, I know some coercer are still set on old ways and think hemorrhage, brainshock, asylum are still top hitters for us but this is not the way anymore.
  12. Rondo9 Active Member

I'm a little confused on this, finisher is bad? are you getting this confused with the stand-firm proc? Personally I think http://u.eq2wire.com/item/index/1108147178 is best in slot item for any DPS class but if you were using the pools finisher next I would continue to use that

I would consider different wrist practice procs are prob your best option there, not only increase your CB/POT but your groups as well.
  13. Gnomad_Madgon Active Member

Poor choice of words on my part the Finisher neck is not bad (good). I guess it is still best in slot if you are going to be jousting in and out. Allied effects are superior, however they require you to stay within 5 meters of 2 or more group members. I would not chase the meta version though personally. Odds are you wont be able to acquire it prior to the next expansion unless you have a lot of time to grind the fabled zones and a friend that can see all the rare collection items. The finisher II drops often from Zavith loa if your raid force still farms that zone.
  14. Alarra Well-Known Member

My rotation is generally EB,debuff , prebuff, dot/AuE,DD

I do use manasoul, channel focus, and IR a bit, so I'm not dropping them. I will however create a second AA spec with EV in it until I can get a suitable charm. Channel Focus' cast while moving/item proc rate increases seem worth it. I haven't run the parser over it lately but in ToV I noticed a fair difference.

I found that IR can keep some of the lower geared folks above the threshold to stop death counts on certain fights, so it is useful for now, but may be less useful later.

I guess I could drop the stifle rune, will have to decide on a suitable replacement then.

I saw the finisher drop(I knew what you meant Gnomad) in pools I think, so, I will look out for it there. (Icon I think)

I will see if I can get the English speakers in our guild to speak to the non-English speaking dps'ers, but we will see what happens. We run with 2-3 chanters in raid (one interchanges to troub if there are too many) so it would probably increase overall dps which would help us in the long run.

We're currently working through temple and cathedral so we will see how much we do pools.

As you say we have an expansion coming up soon which will change things, but I want to enjoy myself until then and get the dps up so I don't feel miserable about it.
  15. Rondo9 Active Member

All 3 of them abilities I do not use. Imo the reuse is to long on CF to benefit from the trigger increase.
  16. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Wow guys, thank you for deep inside look in the end-game coercer. I have thou very dump question - how autoattack work? I mean if I want to use "ranged" weapon for autoattack does this I simply hit autoattack and stay on the distance?
  17. Tyman Active Member

If you have a wand yes, just turn on "Forced Ranged" in you character options and it will start going as soon as you attack with a spell.
  18. Mermut Well-Known Member

You don't even need to turned forced ranged on for spell-ranged auto-attack. If you have a wand in your ranged slot (it will have a damage rating if it's a wand/focus item), your spell-ranged auto-attack will start.
    Personally, I'd suggest AGAINST forced-ranged with spell ranged auto-attack as it can do some wonky things, especially with clicky items.
  19. Alarra Well-Known Member

As Tyman says, you will need a wand first, then you will need to set it to Forced Ranged in under options in your character window.

I took your advice on the rune, I may pay for it when I solo, but in raid it should be fine. Went for Screams of battle.

I didn't use to like manasoul until I got some constant drain fights in low dps heroic groups in Castle and Acadehsim. It is only taking 1 point so it isn't hurting that much. It helps quite a bit on the Broken skull boss near the plank as I need to cross flow groups. Also handy with those power tick charms when group member use them.

We will just have to agree to disagree on the other 2.

Was able to make communication with one of our guild members, thanks to google translate. So I was able to parse around 15-20mill tonight. However, they had to switch to a tank mid way through and the other guild member wasn't as diligent about it so it saw the parse slide down to 7-9mill. Which is better than 4-9 mill.

So will see what I can do in future about the gear and work a little more harder on communication with guildies.

Thanks for your help everyone.
  20. Alarra Well-Known Member

Could you give some examples of the wonkiness?
    I would like to know as I use it full time and have not noticed any strangeness. Maybe I just didn't notice it.