Help selecting a new laptop

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Xsara, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Xsara Member

I am hoping to pick your brains for some help. I am barely computer literate. My current laptop HP Envy x360 was murdered by a combo of my friend’s kids plus rocking chair. Cracked screen and smashed keyboard. It wasn’t pretty. But I was hoping to upgrade to a better laptop anyways. I am assuming that pretty much anything on the market today would be better than my HP. My specs were intel i5-4210u, cpu @1.70 ghz, 8gb RAM. It played EQ2 adequately but nothing great. I was getting 20FPS on balanced settings at its very best but mostly around 10-15FPS on average. I couldn’t participate in PQs, raids, or large gatherings without it looking like a freeze frame show of 1-2FPS. I have gathered from what I have read on the forums is that I need the fastest CPU and largest amount of RAM that I can afford. Please correct me if I am wrong. I have a budget of $2000. And I have zero idea how to upgrade or add anything to it, so it would need to be playable out of the box. What I need is a laptop that I can play EQ2, do my coursework for my masters degree, surf the internet, and watch the occasional movie. Can anyone tell me what you would suggest or even if you have or had a laptop that you love and adore? Thanks in advance.
    Rosyposy likes this.
  2. Dude Well-Known Member

Dell/Alienware has a pretty big sale going on right now. You could probably get an amazing laptop for a lot less than you'd normally pay. I think the sale ends tomorrow, though.
    Breanna likes this.
  3. Ludilly Member

Asus ROG rigs are good for gaming off the shelf.
  4. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

5. Xsara Member

Thanks for all your advice (on this thread and on others). I did find difficulty finding a suitable laptop with a numeric keypad. I use it tons while crafting. All the laptops I liked didn't have one. And it almost ended up being a complete deal breaker. But I ended up purchasing an ASUS - ROG Zephyrus M15, Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Max-Q - 1TB SSD... under budget!!! on sale!!! Which does not have a numeric keypad but I bought a USB numeric keypad for under $10. Its due to arrive on Tuesday. I am pretty excited. Thanks again!
    Kuulei and Rosyposy like this.
  6. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

congratulations and welcome to rog club. it's well idea - to purchase an additional missing part of keyboard. it became interesting to me too. because chinese sell white scissor keyboards (because on clear visibled and there is place for varnishing other colored characters) for less than $10 and i bought one instead of noisy 102-key membrane keyboard and for desktop. but this finger lover doesn't have part you ordered additionally. i need this numeric part of keyboard because of print/screen button.. less than $ 10 for screen button.. i need to think (in some cases, softwares saving screenshots isn't suitable to capture what you need from screen).
    And don't forget to add extra cooling to your new gaming laptop to help it last longer. especially because
    that ssd chips require much better cooling than what is available. unless of course service life of your 1 tb ssd something mean to you. by way, reducing ssd drive temperature also reduces likelihood of lags in game and yet again reduces likelihood of an increase in number of bad sectors on disk. and don't forget to disable disk defragmenter, for ssd it's not required (but increases data carrier wear). insufficient cooling is perhaps solely significant drawback of gaming laptops such as asus rog. Ideally, laptop surface should feel as coolness to touch when used under load.
    And if not difficult, typed your words which you write, in more larger letters, otherwise it's not visible
  7. Dartaghan New Member

I use an msi titan and it is awesome