Help Me Pick a Class Please [TLE][FG]

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Argan, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Argan New Member

I'm trying to pick a class on Fallen Gate [TLE]. I've narrowed it down to a list of classes I enjoy playing for different reasons. I'd play the flip side of any of them. I'm very new to the game. I played EQ1 and a bunch of games after, but I never really played EQ2. I'm sure I wouldn't have any trouble with figuring out class mechanics though.

Although I prefer getting in groups, there will be times that I either don't have time to group or can't focus 100% on the game (don't want to group if I can't focus on the game). As long as I have something to do, I'm good: kill lower level stuff, craft, farm, etc.

There's a small chance I'll get my wife to play. If so, she'll play a Templar. Having a class that can group well with her would be nice, but I can always make a second class for that.

I've tried doing some research on the different classes, but I find it hard to find information for the TLE part. Due to AAs and mercs, the answers really change.

Classes:
    1. Warden
    2. Troubador
    3. Illusionist
    4. Inquisitor
    Order of being needed the most (best to worst)?
    Order of being able to solo (best to worst)?
    Any pros/cons of each class would be great.

Thank you for any information you can provide.
  2. Carynn Well-Known Member

If you think you'll be more solo/duoing over grouping, go with Fury (the warden opposite). You can heal yourself and do the best dps. If your wife comes and plays with a templar, you'll want a scout class or a monk/bruiser (monk is better) to make the best of her heals, which are hits-on-the-mob based.

Race wise, unless you play a scout, get one with the tracking ability (kerra, halfing, half elf) to make your life easier.

Kingdom of Sky is the expansion that will release tomorrow, where wizards will rule. When Echoes of Faydwer comes out in March, it'll be Necros.

As for being needed for groups: tanks or dps. If you think you're going to raid, that'd be some researching into what raid guilds are looking for atm.

ETA - missed part of your question

Pros and cons:
    1. Warden. Self healing and dps. Does not do as well as Fury for soloing/dps output.
    2. Troub. Decent soloing, okay dps. Buffs only good for one type of group (same as dirges, they buff opposite).
    3. Illy. Pretty strong pet class with mezzes and roots, esp for soloing. Cannot heal pet and pet not as strong as Necro/Conjy pet.
    4. Inq. (My class on FG.) Templar's opposite, does more dps than heal as a class, but fury does more dps overall. Plate wearer so can tank a little. Don't pair an Inq with a Templar in a group/duo as the heals cancel each other.

Feel free to look me up in game! I play Earl. :)
  3. Kayas Member

I can never find a troubadour when I need one. Illusionist are also highly desired. Their opposites are values even more towards end game. Coercer and dirge. If wife likes Templar see if she would do inquisitors, much more desired towards end game when the server gets there, and can actually kill something solo.
  4. Ihsan New Member

Some tips have already been said.
    I knew many couples who started a combination of Fighter and Healer class to discover the EQ2 world. And that was mostly a good start when playing duo and then also to group up with other players. You can than easily find and invite damage class players for tougher zones like heroic zones. Becaus you have the foundation of fighter and healer needed for tougher (heroic) opponents. But playing which Tank/Fighter is a debate when you later want to raid. You need experience, and knew your opponent well. That said btw.
    Swashbuckler and Brigand are the more tanky classes of the scouts when set up right. When you are interested in playing a scout. At first they are meant to be high damage dealer.
    Playing a troubador with a templar can be hard. So your wife as a templar would most of the time tank and heal. A templar is not meant to be a tank. I would choose a troubador when you mostly play in a group of 3 player (beside at least a tank/fighter).
    For mage classes i would say they are even more different. But can be played solo where even little Duo groups have their problems. Same goes for Beastlord, an universal pet class which feels nothing like the other classes. But generally meant to be played in groups. I don't give an advice for mages or beastlord.

To your list:
    - Warden, hm, go with Fury instead. Has more damage when playing solo or in little groups. Warden is welcome group-player later in the game. And if you don't like it you can betray your class to switch from warden to fury and vice versa. Solo: Fury and Warden. Yes
    - Troubador. Pure group supporter which make sense with other player in the group. Has medium damage tiI low damage output. Setting up the AA right you can be universal for making more damage or be a low output healer instead. For all type of playing style, but not meant to be as a tank in a group. I would choose it at last. Solo: Hm, if you have the time til the opponent dies. A dirge instead is even tougher solo and feels better in a group of at least 2 players.
    - Inquisitor in combination with Templar? Not good, they share many of their abbilities. Choose either an Inquisitor or Templar in a group. Inquisitor makes more damage when set up right in AA. Templar is generally a no brainer. If you set up your Inquisitor AA for tanking in a group with a templar as main healer, that works but you are a freak then :).

But if you are new ... try the classes. Fun should be the first point. The point also is e.g. if you try a fighter class you know 50% what the other fighters classes can do and is meant to be. The other 50% are abilities that make the difference of each fighter. That could also been said to scouts, priests, ...
  5. Kayas Member

Yes if you consider a tank, Shadowknight/Fury Or bezerker/Inquistor Or even Shadowknight/Inquisitor. Shadowknight/Fury combo melts groups of MoBs.
  6. Argan New Member

Thank you for all the information. Very helpful.

One of the classes I have been playing more is the Illusionist. My concern so far is that the damage seems low versus a DPS class (expected), but I don't see it adding much else at this point. I'm only level 20. It seems like picking another DPS class for a group slot would be preferred over the Illusionist. I assume this changes at some point. Any thoughts/hints on this? Is the Illusionist worth it over a DPS outside of a raid?

On a side note, with AAs being added, is there a good spot to see suggested builds for the TLE server? Thanks!
  7. Soara2 Well-Known Member

Make and delete all of your choices on a live server to try them out heroic style. You have to be a higher lvl to really check out the spells etc
  8. Argan New Member

Looking at the heroic classes would just give me a list of spells/abilities (I've found some general lists online). I'd have to setup each one and run a few dungeons to get a good feel for the class. Although not a bad idea, I'd have to invest a lot of time going this path. Even then, live is still different from TLE. I think it's better to hear from people that have been playing the game that understand more how all the classes fit. I thought I was doing decent damage with the Illy until I grouped with others.

The hard part is telling how much the buffs really help. How much damage will I add to a DPS? What percentage damage of a DPS can I do myself? How much are my debuffs worth? These are the kind of questions that take a better understanding of the full game.
  9. Carynn Well-Known Member

For the illy, damage should pick up now that you're in your 20s and have your pet. Illies and coercers (especially coercers) pick up on the DPS in the late 30s/early 40s. The advantage of illy over coercer as a solo/duo player are better/more mezzes. Makes for conquering groups of mobs doable.

Debuffs - solo, I don't usually cast these unless it's the first strike on a mob. If it's a magic class, do the absorb magic debuff (you can tell by the mob name), otherwise do the one that looks like a peeler that I can never remember the name of. In groups, debuffs on the names first, then dps.

As for your buffs, these are Oomphs for your spells, both solo and in groups. You want to pre-cast them before you root or make your first debuff.

When it comes to spells, take the time to become a sage, harvest rares, and craft experts for yourself. You want experts in all your dps spells and pet at minimum.

If you are looking more towards DPS, when you get in your 30s betray to coercer. Coercer plays more like a wizard with a pet and do a lot more damage than Illies if you get the right AA setup and learn the best spell rotations.
  10. Ihsan New Member

Go with the TLE server. It's especially for people like you who aren't playing since the beginning of for years. The classes are well balanced. You will have much more fun and it's easier to find players. It's an another world like it was in 2005. On pregression server you will have a huge todo list what you need to do beside the leveling up to 110. It will cost you maybe 6-12 month to compete with other players. It's massive content and not easy to figure out all the stuff and functions that came in the game over the last 13/14 years. The AA system is also not that complex like on progression/live server. When the AA is introduced on TLE server you will only have one AA tree at first. The other 8will be integrated step by step over month or years. So it's very easy to figure out what you need.

Hint: Any crowd control spells (root, charm, ...) that mages have will not work on epic opponents when raiding. Only on Solo and Heroic opponents.
  11. Ihsan New Member

Go with the TLE server. It's especially for people like you who aren't playing since the beginning of for years. The classes are well balanced. You will have much more fun and it's easier to find players. It's an another world like it was in 2005. On pregression server you will have a huge todo list what you need to do beside the leveling up to 110. It will cost you maybe 6-12 month to compete with other players. It's massive content and not easy to figure out all the stuff and functions that came in the game over the last 13/14 years. The AA system is also not that complex like on progression/live server. When the AA is introduced on TLE server you will only have one AA tree at first. The other 8will be integrated step by step over month or years. So it's very easy to figure out what you need.

Hint: Any crowd control spells (root, charm, ...) that mages have will not work on epic opponents when raiding. Only on Solo and Heroic opponents.

As i remember, .. on TLE, and the upcoming expansion at least Echoes of Faydwer, the hardest nuker will be the Ranger for a long time (single target) followed by Wizards (AoE). He can be 300% above the 2nd DPS player and is an excellent epic boss nuker, the more time the more higher the dps % range to the other DPS classes. It's all about play style and not the gear. The time has changed, now you need gear at first to survice and do dps. I played a ranger that time and was on top of all DPS parsing all the time but only on single target mobs. Ranger had only one encounter AE, pretty useless. Then i switched classes. DPS was boring. I went into figuring out how mobs work and spend time into tactics.
  12. AarChon New Member

If your wife is going to play a healer, don't choose a healer.
    Tank/heals is pretty standard, and good start to a group if you like to group. SK pairs well with just about any healer.

From your list, I'd go with illy.
  13. Soara2 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure my fury class was the same on TLE server but I hear ya. Live is easier to test characters on. There are less people in the zones there. I have played 9 years now. At least 40 hrs a week. Lol