Help me make and lvl a crafter plz!

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Tharrakor, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

Hey all you handy craftsmen of everquest 2. I want to get a crafter to 100 for the new cloak but I don't know which. Does it matter? I don't care about making my own spells as I'm already all grandmastered on the toon. I don't care about making equipment because they are worth like 50p a piece. Are there any craftertype that can actually make business?

How can I most efficiently lvl to 100?

I've heard that you can lvl quicker in frostfell, how does this work? Are there any unique crafter appearance items out there?
  2. Trepide@Storms Member

I'm leveling crafters with tradeskill urgent city tasks
    Tharrakor likes this.
  3. Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr Well-Known Member

Prissetta, Tharrakor and Shmogre like this.
  4. Meirril Well-Known Member

Ok, so you want a GM cloak. I get it. Really, I do. But the rest just seems disrespectful. Well, fortunately crafters are a lot like Canadians, we're a polite bunch so lets overlook that and provide some help, eh?

The short answer is pick a class, grind a few levels making anything until you hit 9. Talk to a trainer to choose a subclass which pops you to 10. Either grind recipes or do crafting quests in New Halas till you hit 15. Now you can do Work Orders. Do Work Orders until you hit 19. Talk to a trainer again and select your final class. Congratulations you can now do Rush Orders. While there are a ton of other Tradeskill Quests out there, nothing is as efficient as just sitting in your guild cranking out Rush Orders.

The only books you need to level should be available from a merchant in your guild's crafting set up. You only need the essential books. Advanced books are going to have the items players want to use, but that is a bonus you can go for later.

After level 70 you might want to stock up on level 70 crafting raws and fuel for your profession and head to Kunark. Do enough crafting quests in KP to get New Lands, New Profits so you can work for Bethlazid's Watch. Now go there and grind faction till you're above -20k. Once you hit 80 you can do the Proof of the Pudding series of quests, which is a pre-req for the GM cloak.

Finish grinding to 100. Now you need to start doing Chains of Eternity TS sig line until you get past Captain Overboard and rescue Captain Ethan. Then you can skip ahead to ToT TS sig (starts with a mail from Captain Ethan). Complete that and zone to get a letter from Bethal to start the KA TS sig line.

As for a class, there are a few good choices. Carpenter, because you might discover you like decorating. Provisioner because everybody eats. Alchemist/Woodworker because they make a bunch of neat stuff nobody wants to actually pay for but its fun to play with if you can make it yourself. Weaponsmith because you never want to be asked to make stuff for people (except quest combines).
  5. tbankert New Member

Id Suggest taking a look here:

http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Tradeskill_Timeline

Most of these quests offer good EXP at low levels. Also make sure to pick up the daily mute/adorn/tinkering quests they don't use up vitality, and award decent xp.

Follow the quests, and fill gaps with Tradeskill Rush Orders:

If you don't want to do the crafting quests then pay particular attention to the quests you'll need for the cloak & any other KA achievements etc:

1. Complete the shipwrecked timeline with Raffik - for special items to craft in KA
    2. Do Rise of Kunark quests & build -20K faction with Bathezid's
    3. Do Artisan Epic Timeline completing Proof is in the Pudding
    4. Start TOV crafting line by completing Captains Lament
    5. Complete TOT timeline completing What Lies Beneath
    6. Complete KA Timeline to get the cloak.
  6. Shmogre Well-Known Member

Between 50 and 80, you can also do the Mara tradeskill group dailies (by yourself). It's still a grind, but all of the materials and fuels are supplied so you can save a lot of time and plat on harvesting/fuels, you get decent crafting and quest xp, and you can get some jewelry that buffs tradeskill stats. You don't get the city status that the writs do, but it can help break up the writ routine a bit.

Another tip: Once you get to Phantom/Tranquil Seas, definitely do the daily and weekly quests...they give a metric butt-ton of xp.

(If it helps, just recently I got hit with a bout of insanity and leveled another crafter. From 0 to 100, getting the endline and epic crafting rewards along the way (Proof of the Pudding/Earring of Solstice, gathering pony, Mark of the Far Seas, Prayer Shawl, the censer you get from ToT, and the cloak from KA), I did it in about 7ish days of moderate (but not crazy) grinding. (Disclaimer: that is with knowledge of tradeskilling and having done all of it multiple times before, with a fully stocked harvest depot to rely on; it might take a bit longer for someone completely new to crafting.)
  7. Katz Well-Known Member

Once you are level 10 you can do the daily frostfell crafting quest. Since you are crafting level 70 stuff, you get a lot of levels doing that. In between those quests, do craft writs for your city (rush orders give most status) and do the crafting quests listed by others. If you have it, you can use items that increase exp gain and if you have extra DBC you can take care of vitality with a vitality potion. As far as which one to make, my favorite is carpenter because I like the house items, broker boxes, and strongboxes. Other than that, make something you will find useful, provisioner for food, woodworker for arrows, totems, etc.

Also, at level 9 and 19 you must immediately talk to the crafting trainer and choose your path. Otherwise you waste exp trying to level but you can't until you make the choice.
    Prissetta, Tharrakor and Shmogre like this.
  8. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

Wow this was fast! Thanks all!
    Prissetta likes this.
  9. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what I said that sound disrespectful, that wasn't my intention and I apologize.
    I just meant that when you look at broker and crafted gear costs so little it makes you think why do they even bother, know what I mean?

Thank you for your very informative post I appreciate it.
  10. Katz Well-Known Member

Some people level crafters to make money, and you can make money, but it takes planning to do that.
    Now what I've done is level crafters for the following reasons:
    • First to make a carpenter because I thought being able to make my own house items was the coolest thing ever.
    • Then I leveled crafting on other characters to make items to support my main character.
    • Then the sage got notebooks (player writable) so I leveled her for the notebooks.
    • Then I decided well, why not all 9 crafting professions.
    • Then, ponies and goblins! My own army of harvesters. That caused me to start leveling additional crafters just to get harvesters. That is, more than 9 crafters.
    • Now I've reached the point that all my characters level crafting along with adventuring. I've reached the conclusion that maximum crafting and adventuring are what make's my characters complete.
    I'm sure the reasons for leveling crafters vary depending on the player. I do have many more max level crafters than adventurers at this point.
  11. Observing Active Member

I am going to disagree with most of the advice in this thread, because it sounds like you want to get the 1200 potency cloak as fast as possible. Since Sept, I leveled six crafters to 100, another to 95, completed Proof of the Pudding on all nine classes, and completed the cloak on three classes.

1. If others say that Frostfell is the fastest for lower levels, I cannot give advice as none of my crafters were around during Frostfell.
    2. Do only the minimum number of quests. Quests are slower than writs before level 95 and far slower from levels 1-19.
    3. Since you will be doing writs, you want classes that have fast combines. Classes to avoid that I remember offhand are Woodworker and Carpenter. Armorer may have been the fastest, or possibly Weaponsmith or Tailor.
    4. Spend your tradeskill AA points that you get between levels 10-20. They will help speed your combines.
    5. To grind fast, you will need a good supply of plat so you can buy stacks of materials from the broker, SC or /claim to get enough vitality potions and vitality reset items, and SC or /claim to get exp potions.

My Leveling Timeline

1. Talk to your trainer to get level 2.
    2. Do fast non-pristine combines (ie only until bar 3 is complete) for levels 2-9
    3. As soon as you hit level 9, talk to your trainer to get level 10 and your next class
    4. Do fast non-pristine combines (ie only until bar 3 is complete) for levels 10-19
    5. Spend your tradeskill AA either once you hit 20 or during the leveling from 10-19
    6. As soon as you hit level 19, talk to your trainer to get level 20 and your final class.
    7. Grind rush orders (or possibly frostfell) until level 95. Writs at 95 and above are slow.
    8. In any order:
    8a. Do Proof of the Pudding
    8b. Do the prerequisite quest for ToT timeline
    8c. Do the AOM crafting timeline (takes about 1 hour)
    9. Do the AOM weekly and dailies. Make sure to have full vitality for the weekly.
    10. If you don't want to wait for more AOM dailies and weeklies, grind rush orders.
    11. At 100, start ToT tradeskill timeline (takes about 1 hour)
    12. After ToT, do KA tradeskill timeline (1-2 hours)
    13. Buy your updated cloak

Notes on Proof of the Pudding (Required Quest)

A lot of the advice for this quest is outdated.

Bathezeid's Watch Faction:

You might want to setup a conjuror in Bathezeid's Watch itself. If only there was a way to create a temporary level 95 Conjuror on a second account who can cast Call of the Hero on you...

Fly into Fens. Don't do Sokolar timeline if you don't need it for another reason. Don't do New Lands, New Profits as a level 100 adventurer. This is easy as a level 100 adventurer. 4 quests get you to -20,000 faction.

Find a portal house on the leaderboards that has the Rivervale and Steamfont mountains teleport paintings.

The largest roadblock you may hit is Proof of the Pudding since you must have combines from all 9 tradeskill classes to complete it. If you are in a big guild or a casual guild with many crafters this may not be an issue.
    DoomDrake, Justaplayer, Katz and 2 others like this.
  12. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

Great post, exactly what I needed! Thank you a lot!
  13. Tetrol Well-Known Member

At the moment don't forget the daily Frostfell crafting - huge xp for not much time doing it. One problem though - getting your level up while NOT using your primary crafting skills means your expertise in your own field doesn't get boosted (eg your fletching is 120/450)
    Tharrakor and Anghammarad like this.
  14. Anghammarad Well-Known Member

Right now, while Frostfell, when you are above 20 in crafting, do the daily repeatable Frostfell Crafting Quest. That until you only gain 1 level up. I like skilling new crafter toons there.
    Tharrakor and Prissetta like this.
  15. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

I, too, have maxed crafters of every tradeskill profession, and I second (third? fourth?) the suggestion to run the Frostfell dailies, but I would not run them past level 70, as the xp drops off so much.
    Good suggestion to level up one that has the fast crafting (not sure which, as I don't pay attention to that) however, personally I find Weaponsmith to be the hardest, as the three counters look so similar; sometimes I miss because I can't tell them apart. Also Weaponsmith is considered by many to be the least desirable tradeskill.
    I love tailors... because thick bear hide backpacks... I have seven tailors in various stages. And carpenters, because swamp ash strong boxes... I only have six of those.
    Trolls can select racial trait bonuses in Armorer, Jeweler or Provisioner.
    Anghammarad, Tharrakor and Shmogre like this.
  16. Ellah Active Member

Could someone please tell me which are the 4 quests I need to do for faction for proof of the pudding? i'm a level 100 adventurer.
  17. Alenna Well-Known Member

here's a link to the eq2zam page to help you find the tradeskill quest you need to start with.
    as noted there after doing the first one you will have enough faction with bathsed's watch work on faction grind writs and daily I think mission. But it is not neccesary as a 100 adventure to do the grind before you can talk to the sarnak who starts you on the Proof of the pudding questline. as an adventure you can get faction by the following quests

1. to get initial faction. http://eq2.zam.com/db/quest.html?eq2quest=4ab7cc1f35796aeb797977763efa8995
    a. 1st three quests from Dragoon Tiwin http://eq2.zam.com/db/quest.html?eq2quest=0a25b673913c039e3e78336f340afd09
    b. stand alone quest from Conscript Vitaliz http://eq2.zam.com/db/quest.html?eq2quest=722677280e0fc7f695478bdddf6ea5a2
    that and the day's mission from the guy inside the building near crafting tables sorry don't know his name right off it is. if you do this you should have enough faction to talk to Danelak Hosefoak who gets you started on the tradeskill epic.
    Ellah and Shmogre like this.
  18. Mensa Member

Don't forget about the Overlord Overload quest in Bathezid's Watch. It's a quick kill quest that gives you 10k faction. Do that and the 2 quests that give 5k and you've got the faction you need to proceed with the timeline.
    Ellah likes this.