Help I'm a noob :)

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Toug, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Toug New Member

Hello all.

Can anyone tell me where i can find an up to date guide for noobies.
    I'm looking to roll a caster or ranged class,
    as from experience playing mmorpg's I'm am rubbish at Tanking or playing Melee classes.

I've been playing for a little while as a wizard with sage trade skill I'm OK with doing the crafting,
    but I would like to be able to play the class without the blundering about and hit and hoping style
    play I have used so far to get me by.

All guides I have found so far seem to be out of date or extremely vague.

Any help or pointers to the right threads would be appreciated

2. OverDoze Member

i would say invest in aod it allows you to have a merc and enhance crafting by making fabled items from reactants wizards are awesome but most guides will say root and nuke and for the most part thats just about right all the way to max lvl i suggest googling the golden path for eq2 if you ever wanted to id love to start a alt or mentor im fairly bored contact me ingame sometime and we can go adventure
  3. Sucuri Active Member

Your best bet is to join a new player friendly guild and slam them with questions :D

If you want to go with a ranged class that wont die as much, I would give a necromancer / conjuror a try, or even a ranger (woo chainmail). The necro and conj get pets to take the beating while you nuke away!

Best tip I can give you on a class is READ, read your tooltips of your abilties, read your AAs, read what your stats do for you (i've seen a lot of INT classes in STR gear and it makes me cry). Get the highest rank of spells you can aford, experts are pretty cheap to get made, a lot of low level Masters are even cheaper. If not Adepts are allways dirt cheap (all better then apprentice / journeyman). The higher rank the spell the more damage / buff it is and less chance to be resisted if it is an attack.

Gear is easy to get, if a quest dosen't reward it, learn how to use the Advanced Serch on the broker to get the peices you need. Allways try to keep your gear at least 10 levels or less to your own level. When you use the Reserch feture under (k) pick the most usefull spells first, for a necro / conjuror that would be your pet spells / buffs / attacks, debuffs are nice, but at low levels things die fast (more usefull on long fights like in group or raid content).

If you need a merc to solo the solo content you are doing somthing wrong with your character ><
    Mercs eat your exp, and your coin. Peronaly I only use one if I feel like soloing dungeons or ^^^ mobs my level.

Not looking to brag on this end or anything but I have leveled 23 characters so far, they are not crazy geared, or power leveled, and I have yet to die from doing a (solo) quest. Yes several of them are 90-95. This game really is not that hard anymore as far as getting 1-95 VIA quests. If you get bored of that you can also level up grouping with friends / guildies. There is also the dungeon maker that unlocks when you hit level 20. You can even level up in BattleGrounds if PvP floats your boat :D

The one nice thing about a game as old as EQ2 is, there is a ton of content, and options to keep you busy, have fun, ask questions, and do not be afraid to explore, or get lost, or find things everyone else may have forgotten about. Playing as long as I have I am still running into new things here and there :)

Hope something here helped you, best of luck in game, and safe journey!
    Natsume likes this.
  4. Snowhaze Active Member

Follow the golden path to level: http://eq2.zam.com/wiki/The_Golden_Path

I just leveled up a coercer, pretty much rooting mobs and nuking/dotting them down. Heroic dungeons are too difficult without a mercenary or group members. I didn't have a merc until level 80, but I think it would be extremely useful for lower levels too, especially if you want to go into dungeons.

I second joining a friendly family type guild, you might be able to find a partner to join up with and people that can answer your questions and the ports make everything more convenient. A guild with tradeskilling stuff will make tradeskilling much faster, unfortunately I didn't do this until around level 80 either.
  5. Mae- Well-Known Member

EASIEST mage is going to be a summoner. They come with a variety of pets. You can use the tank pet and try to keep agro on it, or the mage pet and try to kill things before they kill you. Problem is, summoners aren't really wanted at the very top of the game. But it sounds like you aren't interested in raiding or anything of the like that you might be excluded from for playing a summoner.

If you want to keep the wizard, root and nuke is the general way they solo. They're glass cannons, and getting hit is usually not in the equation.