Hectic PVE group combat?

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Dynamis, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Dynamis New Member

While I'm a seasoned MMO player, I never got around to playing EQ2. Went from EQ to FFXI. Decided to start on the new progression server for some nostalgia.

Got to Freeport last night, hit lvl 9 and got invited to a party in The Ruins. Awesome! Or so I though. I get in there, and people are running everywhere! Mobs are all over the place and I could scarcely tell who my party was fighting or what was really going on.

Now I know this is launch weekened and low level areas will be busy, but is all group content like this? Multiple mobs, and hectic combat, or does it slow down as the "real" dungeons unlock?

Thanks from n00b
  2. Carynn Well-Known Member

Kinda? Both? When zones are packed, it seems a lot messier than when there are fewer groups in them, but at low levels there are no instances and everyone will be doing the same thing.

Since you're new, how to clean up your game to make it less chaotic:

If you are playing a scout, mage, or healer, target (click on) your tank and kill things through them. You can also ask if there is a "Main Assist" and let them know you're new, and target through whomever is pointed out to you. Then you will always know what mob to hit.

If you are the tank (lead fighter), your job is to gather as many mobs as your healers can handle, flip them around so their backs are to the group, and stay alive.

This pertains to both new servers. If you are playing on the PVP server, Naggy, there is the added bonus of having people try to kill you while you're killing other things. More chaos, and a skill set I haven't learned, so you'll have to ask in the PVP forum how to handle targeting.
    Cyrrena and GrunEQ like this.
  3. Reginod New Member

Seriously though.

I did my first WC group the other day and I can second the OP's sentiments. It was CHAOS. Look away for two seconds to answer a text, oops your group just wound its way around 3 corners.

I mean I get it, it is a TLE so most of the players are returning vets who know these dungeons like the back of their hands but it's kind of... off-putting for someone who doesn't have that experience.

As we get higher level do things 'slow' down? I get the dynamic of EQ2 dungeons in that you'll always be running thru the dungeon with your group, but its the fact that everything gets AoE'd down and killed in a matter of seconds, as a Defiler I have all these dots/debuffs that are obviously not worth using.I don't mind JUST healing, it is just disappointing that outside of that parts of my class seem useless. So far, anyways, I know I'm low level.

That said as someone trying to acclimate to EQ2 I do appreciate the tips Carryn.
  4. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

Just a lot of crappy PUGs going on. Both a blessing and a curse.
  5. Keldo Member

It kind of takes me back - doing low level dungeons on Kaladim. There's such a wide variety of experiences that you can have in a new server's dungeons. If you find yourself with a Stormhold tank that's still wearing tier 1 gear and has a couple hundred less HP than you (the group's healer) you might find yourself in for a wild and challenging time!
  6. Tominator Member

I think you'll get a little of everything OP. Like you said, there will be a bit of excitement during the server launch. That's normal.

Still, I've found some groups are slow, measured, and deliberate in their dungeon crawl strategy. Others are pure chaos. It's kinda like a box of chocolates...ya never know what you're gonna get :)

If you find yourself in a chaotic group, you can either ask them to slow down, or, politely (or not!) excuse yourself from the group.
  7. Kurei Hitaka Well-Known Member

The chaos is part of the fun. XD
  8. Carynn Well-Known Member

In dungeon groups, things usually don't slow down, mainly because this is a lot of people's fourth go around with the zones and they know where to go/what to do, and the purpose is to kill mobs asap so you can level sooner.

Defilers normally only heal in fast moving groups, and debuff harder mobs. Most of your offensive spells are used for soloing. Raiding is when you end up having longer, slower fights that require more spell usage.

Are you in a guild? If not, you might want to find one that does casual grouping or static groups who prefer to slow down in dungeons. A guild should also take the time to explain things to you as a new player, and help you out. PUGs will always be fast, as the point is to level vs. doing content.

I think, at this point, I would recommend you decide whether you want to level or whether you want to explore. If you want to explore, ditch the groups and venture into the solo overlands, or find a guild partner to duo content. Dungeon grouping will get you leveled, but you miss out on a ton of content that way. (Also, you can roll as many alts as you have space, including rolling another defiler if you like the class, and start fresh.)