Hear there is an upcoming XP gain nerf?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Moose9, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Moose9 New Member

So what's the deal with the xp nerf coming in with the expansion tomorrow? I hear you are actually going to nerf xp for people that get mentored? You need to be on hate lists or again nerfed xp gain? Is this seriously becoming part of normal game play starting tomorrow? 8 years in, 95 levels & 320 aa's and we are getting xp gain nerfs? We need buffs to questing and just grouping instead of more penalties.
    Seriously strange idea if this is going in. Please don't tell me, we are worried about powerleveling in an 8 year old game and folks believe this will help grouping in old low level content. The game is 8 years old, it's a good game with lots to offfer, but there's newer stuff out there.
  2. Regolas Well-Known Member

I'm going to wait and see what actually happens.

It will suck if the mentored thing goes live, as I have days where I don't have enough time to form a group and it would be nice to mentor down to 80 and get decent xp in RoK like we can right now.

But, when I have enough time to group, running new content or skyshrine will be very good xp with the changes I think. Solo xp but killing at group speed.
  3. Sixgauge Well-Known Member

You should learn what the xp changes are instead of listening to random scrubs in 1-9 before you freak out next time.
    Terein and Mycenia like this.
  4. crazyeyes321 Active Member

People were leveling up too quickly in zones like chelsith, seb, chardok, and poa. SoEs response to people wondering if they would have to grind levels in these zones again was to mess with mentored exp gains. Now exp gain is in line with withered lands.

But, until it hits live, we dont know for sure if some or all the proposed penalties/bonuses will be implemented.
  5. Kalderon Well-Known Member

I still dont see the point in those changes... some peeps did complain that they have to grind in order to progress and that is not how the game should be played?
    Cmon, i heard SoE sometime ago " Play it you´re way! " Now someone forces me, to go the other way in order to play the other way ^^
  6. Atan Well-Known Member

People complained about how slow the XP was doing the quest lines compared to grinding, so SoE decided the best thing to do was nerf grinding.

You get a pretty big penalty for mentoring and killing things now. So you need to kill things unmentored. The time in most cases to kill things at level un-mentored is much slower XP so it means doing the quest lines might be weighted as less of a waste of time.

However, players are resourceful, and many have already figured out how to best XP under the new system, and the original problem remains. These solo quest lines are unrewarding.
  7. Buffrat Well-Known Member

We should nerf xp gain back to what it was when the game launched in 2004.

That'll show these newbies.
  8. Slipshod Active Member

I love solo-questing. To say they are "unrewarding" surely must be a mistake? There is entertainment value. Often an item, am I right? I am sure the XP reward is diminished (I would think questing in a game named EverQUEST would reward MORE XP than grinding), but i am still rewarded in different ways while questing. But i simply do not know enough about this situation to make a valued judgement.
    Feara likes this.
  9. Atan Well-Known Member

Please go play the original everquest and get back to us about this game being about questing. Its an adventure game, and you can adventure doing quests, or you can adventure as a party doing something else.

I'm personally very tired of that old argument.

But for example, the WL quests were a pointless waste of time if you already had better gear. I'm actually glad they were a pointless waste of time, cause for example, if I had to do them before I could zone to skyshrine, I doubt I would have stayed with the game. I tried them on some alts, and quickly abandoned them as they were not at all entertaining to me.

Others complained that the same time spent doing Chelsith was more xp rewards than doing the WL quest line, which was absolutely true. So rather than upping quest xp rewards, they nerfed the other activity.

All in all in aggregate the changes to the xp system negatively impact more people that they positively impact. A very long discussion on this existed on the other forums, but SoE turned a deaf ear to it.
    GabenBison likes this.
  10. Slipshod Active Member

There was no argument on this. I simply stated how I like to play the game and that the changes will probably affect me more than you. I did not berate you or how you like to play. I congratulate you on knowing what it is that entertains you the most. I know what entertains me the most. And despite the drop in XP for my playstyle, I will continue to do it.

I love Withiering lands quests. I did them on all of my characters. I had better gear than the rewards gave me a lot of the time as well. But i was rewarded in entertainment. When CoE launches get yourself a nice little group and go grind some baddies. You won't be disappointed. Don't do the quests - you don't seem to like them anyways. So remove yourself from that situation. Get a group and grind. Play YOUR way.

I am solo-questing until I am blue in the face. I won't level as fast as you. I am OK with that. I don't see this as a race. But i will be greatly entertained - and that is me playing MY way.
  11. Sucuri Active Member

From what I read there adding more of an exp bonus to the game, not a nerf. 90-92 exp is faster. If you just auto follow someone around you still get the same amount of exp, BUT if you get yourself on the threat meter (you are actualy playing in a group) you get a bonus to exp on top of normal amounts. They are also removing group exp penalties (finally).
  12. Grumble69 Member

I wouldn't call it a nerf so much as a change. Yeah, some folks will be pushed from their old spots & ways. I'm not convinced it's a change for the better though. The crux of the issue is the hate list. If it was a temp buff as some games had it, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.
  13. flameweaver Well-Known Member

This. It's a game and it should be about entertainment, leastways, isn't that what we pay our subs for ? EQ2 is big enough to support any play style and is one of the few MMO's that does this.

Easymode or hardmode, casual or hardcore, race to cap or take you time, solo, group or raid, what does it matter, play it your own way.
    Feara likes this.
  14. Regolas Well-Known Member

The hate list isn't really an issue in a level appropriate group. A group of 90s mentored to 80 killing in Sebilis and getting the same xp as if they are soloing would be wrong, because any L90+ can one or two shot any mob in there solo.

But, a group of L92s in SS, even raid geared, should be able to get on the hate list of each encounter and therefore everyone should get solo xp while grouped if they're actually participating. Just wack each mob once.

The issue for me is the encounter xp penalty if you're mentored and soloing. Like I said I can understand them not wanting full groups getting the same xp as solo if they're all mentored, but I don't think there should be a penalty if you're solo and mentored. It can't be that difficult to add that condition in.
  15. Atan Well-Known Member

You didn't read very well, as what you've stated isn't entirely accurate.
    GabenBison likes this.
  16. Atan Well-Known Member

The last group I ran thru SS was raid geared, and even as MT, I didn't manage to hit every mob before it died. Maybe 70% of them. And I did see mobs one shot at 'level appropriate'.
  17. Ridolain Active Member

I found no problems with the old XP system, nor do I think I will with the new one.

I level solo and grouping with others of a likemind who don't go bonkers if they don't level NAOW!!!

Are these changes supposed to affect certain levels then? Because even before the changes, my newest character leveled pretty quick (In 3 or 4 days he's already almost 40) and I'm not even looking for the exp (he's just a harvester!)

I have no comment on the reasonings behind the change (though I read the SoE reasoning) and I'm still all for giving the same exp to exeryone in a group.
  18. Atan Well-Known Member

You're really just looking at one aspect of the change. The changes overall were a bit more complex:

You will get full xp in a group if:
    1) You're on the hate list of the mob
    2) You are not mentored down in any way

You will get significantly less xp now (even solo) if:
    1) You were not on the hate list of the mob
    2) You are mentored down in any way

SoE believes in level appropriate content you will always be on the hate list of every mob if you try. I, and some other players disagree with that assertion. In fact, I believe it will be very easy for some classes and harder for others. The more powerful your playstyle the more likely you are to take an xp penalty.

SoE believes self mentoring down to kill easy things should reward less XP going forward. On one hand I'm ok with this, on the other I'm not, cause its not like groups were just readily available for those level 90 tunes with 150aa. SoE is basically saying, go suffer our solo quest path to advance, sorry chum.
  19. Ladymist Well-Known Member

Well, so much for the afk powerleveld groups that come wipe out dungeon populations. oh darn.
  20. Atan Well-Known Member

I'm afraid you're mistaken.

Even with the nerf, at lower levels, this remains the fastest way to level up. The only change is, they'll spend 2x as long in there doing it now, so it will be even more of a disruption.

I had asked for them to remove the penalty so I could invite people I run into in dungeons rather than steam rolling over them. SoE decided to keep it as a penalty if I invite you. Sorry.