Healer's and Combat Arts

Discussion in 'Priests' started by Pathiel, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Pathiel New Member

I have been thinking of starting a healer but I really like to melee. I have read the healer combat arts are no longer worth it because they do not scale with the damage of regular spells. Is this true? If so, it seems a shame they removed the viability of CA's. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
  2. Beyoncia Well-Known Member

It is true, "regular spells" are not viable either. Priest damage comes from Ascension spells and a a few powerful class abilities. like Icewater armor for warden or Hammer pet for Templar. Inquisitor has none, and so he has the worst dps in the game right now.
  3. Treiko Active Member

I run groups with my guild regularly, sometimes solo heals and sometimes with my wife's inquis (i'm a channeler). My wife is one of those "I only worry about heals" types, which is fine, but I like to also do damage. I believe in using all the tools I can to help the group. My only real issue in terms of DPS is I have no one else to compare it to in my guild with similar gear. I have no idea what "good" dps for a healer is, but I put out a wide range. If I am solo healing, I don't really have time for ascensions, so my dps is usually between 300-800 mil. When I can go all out I average 1.5 bil on named, up to I think 6.8 was my highest on a fight with adds.

I love melee priests as well, and was actually considering rolling a new mystic. However, if CAs don't scale the way they use to, I may as well make a fury and just blow things up instead. Seems like the only real option if you want to do much damage as a healer, at least after wardens get nerfed :p
  4. Raff Well-Known Member

My defiler usually averages 1.0-1.5 billion dps for Heroics. I also have an Inquisitor who does quite bit less dps. Admittedly, he is not nearly as well geared nor are his weapons & ranged items planar leveled.

But I like playing him for the stuns & interrupts he brings to the fights. Couple of them are CA's , the rest are spells. But if you time it right, you can keep a mob stunned or interrupted almost constantly. Really useful in Kael or other mostly single target fights. DPS isn't everything.
  5. Lovidicus Active Member

Any idea what the current healer dps ranking order would be? Fury used to always be on top, but I've been gone quite a few years and have no way of knowing this stuff wihtout asking.

I'm in a similar boat as Treiko, I want to contribute more than just heals when/if I can. I assume all healers can keep a group up for heroic content or raids. Which is why I question dps and not healing power.
  6. Clintsat Well-Known Member

Warden is highest right now by far due to their passive dps procs, pet and crazy damage shield on Icewater Armor.
  7. Raff Well-Known Member

Good for you. There are far too many "I only heal" healers out there. If you can't add at least some dps to a heroic group and/or raid and keep the party up & healthy? Then it is just pure laziness.
  8. Vunder Well-Known Member

I don't call it laziness at all. There is no point in wasting my time or power when I do less than 2% of overall damage doing 300-500m dps on an inquisitor. It's not like days of old when we actually did enough damage to make a difference. It simply doesn't matter and Id rather focus on spike damage and cures.