Having trouble finding the info on Pot and Res

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Obladi of Lucan D'Lere, May 24, 2020.

1. Obladi of Lucan D'Lere New Member

Hey all. I am back after almost 11 years, and having a hard time finding solid information on what Potency and Resolve are, and how to get them improved without spending insane amounts of in-game and out-of-game currency. I have checked the forums here, and even looked up eq2 wiki. Can I get a little help here? Even if it is just a link to an older thread here that I may have overlooked. Thanks!
  2. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

"Potency_Description: Increases amount of all your offensive, healing and taunt abilities, combat arts and spells. Cap: no cap!", "Resolve_Description: When fighting a mob that has resolve stat, your own resolve will define how much damage you will do to the mob and how much of the incoming damage you will receive. For example, when fighting a mob with 200 resolve and you have 190 resolve, you will do 10% less damage to that mob, and will receive 10% more damage from it. If your resolve is equal to that of the mob, then you will do regular amount of damage and receive regular amount of damage (although this is still defined by your mitigation, block and avoidance stats). If your resolve is higher then that of the mob, there are no benefits from it. Cap: contested against the mob you’re fighting, but caps at the same amount as that mob’s resolve." ( https://eq2library.com/guides/stats-breakdown/ )

"Soft Cap: referred to as the Break Even Point, is not an actual cap, but the value at which you start seeing less return from adding more points to a given stat. Hard Cap: The definite value at which you will no longer see a benefit from adding more points to a stat." ( https://eq2wire.com/2008/11/12/soft-caps-and-hard-caps/ )
    Breanna likes this.
  3. Dilon Active Member

Hi, potency is a base damage multiplier for all abilities. The more you have of it the more damage, threat, healing, etc you will do.

Resolve is a gate-keeping statistic. Mobs of a certain heroic or raid tier have a certain resolve figure. If you have equal or greater resolve than the mob, you fight it as normal. If you have less resolve than the mob then you incur a penalty to damage dealt and also receive more damage. The amount of this penalty is related to how far below the resolve score you are. Resolve is determined by the gear you have and generally speaking the better the gear the better the resolve. For example in Blood of Luclin resolve starts at 150 for solo legendary gear, then goes up in increments of 5, i.e. 155, 160, etc. You can also get resolve from your mount and possibly your familiar.

You cannot improve resolve except by getting better gear. As for potency, again the general rule applies that the better tier the gear, the more base potency it has. If you want to increase resolve beyond that, you can infuse your gear using the infuser system, you can "level up" your weapons using weapon essences, and you can acquire bardings for your mount. There are also a number of Red and White runes(adornments) that you can acquire, as well as a handful of green and cyan adornments. You could also "level up" your mount and familiar.

You mentioned wanting to improve your potency without spending in-game currency or real money. To be frank, that will be just short of impossible.
    Carynn and Dude like this.
  4. Argosunited Well-Known Member

5. Argosunited Well-Known Member

6. Obladi of Lucan D'Lere New Member

I would like to thank you guys and gals for the great answers and resources you have given me. It's going to take me a bit to get through this and figure out where to go from here. I have decided to level my already established characters normally, and I am using the Level 110 boost for a new alt so that I can get a feel for the new content.
    Argosunited and Breanna like this.