Have you ever wondered... (feedback)

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Jems, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Jems Member

Whether every single carpentry book item could be put together in a zone in a concise, "narrative-friendly" (for those who like narratives in their house-zones) kind of way? And if it's possible to put every single carpentry recipe in one zone?

Well I have.

Wonder no longer. So far the answer is, surprisingly, mostly yes! And definitely no! Respectively.

Because I'm a sucker for punishment and also procrastinating on a serious project I decided to see how well every single non-rare recipe would outfit the Mara Island estate, since it has many many premade buildings.

Well, here is what I have learned so far:

#1) I have made and placed 612 original recipes (one of every item possible) up to Jawbone of the Wurm - Mara has a 900 item limit. (This is not the exact number of non-rare recipes up to Jawbone of the Wurm. I accidentally made a few rares and also purposefully made some items from a few faction only recipes along the way). The houses/zone are getting full, but not excessively so and there are still some empty ones. The item limit is no where near enough - even if I were to get the 200 item boost.

#2) There are way way way too many ugly bookshelves, tons of tables and chairs, the rugs are getting better looking, and so is the other art, but the one thing that is really lacking is lighting that provides actual light. So far the Brazier of Hate and Brazier of Fury are hands down the best non-rare light producers I've seen. Same with their hanging versions, but they hang super low.

#3) I hate tapestries and all thing that can be said to look like or be similar to tapestries. Seriously.

#4) Beds are really hit or miss. Some just seem so odd in terms colour scheme and proportion. And posters make it difficult to place evenly or closely against textured walls.

#5) The extra flavour items from events are really cool, but unless the item limits increase it is difficult to utilize them well, especially in huge zones like Mara.

#6) More, and more interesting statues would be great.

Will add more as I learn more! Just thought this stuff was very interesting. Also bonus thought:

#7) House actors are the greatest invention ever. It would be great if they had a fishing action, since they already have a gathering action.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Breanna like this.
  2. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Just out of nosiness: are these just the Carpy-specific recipes from Volume 20 on up (not including the Advanced volumes), or every house item from level 1 on up?

You can get up to 300, max, by getting a player-made Expander of 100 slots and a Marketplace max one of 200 slots. I don't think you can stack the two Marketplace Expanders (100 and 200, respectively) in the same building, more's the pity (right? Last I knew, we couldn't do that). Maybe it's so we can't finagle 400 total extra slots, but I think it's silly for them to turn down even making a single dollar these days. :-/

My go-to place for that ('cause I SUCK at lighting, still, to this day) is EQ2Furniture.com; go to the Description Text entry line and put in "shines brightly" without the quotes. For the most part, Lera is right; there are few lights in that particular list that don't shine brightly. Sadly, most of them are, indeed, Mastercrafted; my rescue and my joy is the Single Candle, which can be shrunk down to teeny size and inserted into just about anything that needs a bit of shine. :D Whenever I have a deco project on hand, I try to first make about 10-20 of those things; I'm not kidding. ;->

Aw; the ones without collision detection can be useful sometimes...and the Mastercrafted "Tapestry" of the Steam Lord is awesome for "water" that has no collision detection, either vertically or horizontally. :)

The one thing I loathe about that one is that STUPID ginormous topper/hanger thing, with the GIANT metal doodads and flaring 1950s Cadillac fins and the GIANT flaming torches (that still don't give much light, just get in the way) that serve no purpose on this "tapestry"; the only reason to have lights there at all is to make the design on a hanging piece of cloth more visible, but guess what, artists and devs: THERE ISN'T ANY ART THERE!! :mad: Can't we just have the two wooden dowel hanger things that it seems to be "hanging from" in the first place and have done with it? :-/

Expanders to the rescue, but only another 300 slots max is still pretty limiting, yeah. :-/

You are soooo right about the Actors! :D I wish they had the full complement of motions like that (they don't have a mining action, do they? Or a wood-chopping one? Or am I just blind...), as well as all our character emote possibilities. ;->

Heck, being able to park them on a mount properly would be cool, too... :)

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  3. Jems Member

Thanks for the feedback Uwk!

These are all non-rare carpentry items from level 1 on up. Excluding building blocks.

I also know about the eq2furniture.com page, but this was an excercise in seeing what I had that I haven't made before. The answer was a ton. I had made so much of an effort to collect every carpentry recipe I could but hadn't made a quarter of them, so I just wanted to personally see what they looked like and if they all worked together:)

I've recently discovered that the Anchorage quest / tradeskill recipe lights are both beautiful and effective, but the 5 uses per recipe at ridiculous prices per recipe make these inefficient and expensive wastes.

Definitely need to get rid of the use aspect.

The zone is Mara island prestige housing if you want to take a look. I'm just playing with extra bits and pieces at this point. It's been a ton of fun.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  4. Jems Member

Ah, the one other thing that is lacking: book stacks.

There are some from the anchorage line, but see the above comment. Book stacks would be excellent flavour pieces given how many desks and empty bookcases / display cases there are.
  5. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Bloody hell, they put CHARGES on recipes again?! Didn't they learn NOT TO DO THAT with the Vampiric Mirrors from the Loping Plains Haunted Mansion?? :mad:

Listen, devs, the only thing that gets you (I can't imagine what other "advantage" that would be) is the ill-will of your crafters, and especially your decorators. I know there's at least some of you that loathe crafting and regret that it ever existed, but I think you'd be surprised how many of us are out there, and how much of the PAYING CUSTOMER player base we are (everyone is; even F2P folks need to buy some things from the Marketplace, on occasion) . >:-/

Uwk
    Breanna and Jems like this.
  6. Tkia Well-Known Member

Start doing book quests. You'll be drowning in book stacks in no time.
  7. Jems Member

Oh for sure, but I'd also love to have the option to just be able to put in aesthetically pleasing stacks with comparatively little work. hahaha
  8. Tkia Well-Known Member

Nah. As both a carpenter and a book collector I'm perfectly happy to leave the books to the pervue of quest rewards. My collector can look around her library and feel satisfied in knowing that she earned all those books, rather than had the carpenter crank them out in mass production when she had 5 minutes of boredom to kill. It is, after all, called EverQUEST ... :D

(And you actually only have to complete one of the quests to get access to unlimited amounts of them from the city librarian in the mages guild)
  9. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Only one? Yeah, I've done that from time to time, largely 'cause a particular book was JUST the right look I needed for making items out of them (not quite the "2-room place full of 'furniture' made of books" bit, but still), and once I'd done that particular quest (not necessarily a book page Collection thing, it offered the book as a reward...and an option to buy unlimited numbers of them forever afterwards), I was set for "materials." I love that one. :D

I just wish the Dalron's Little Black Book had a) page edges that are white or off-white, not yellow, and b) could be bought for coins from the Erollisi Day merchants in unlimited quantities once you finish his quest. I have no desire to ever read that stupid thing again, but the book shrinks down beautifully, and because of that, works even better than the books I'm using now for my purposes, which can sometimes be too big... ;->

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  10. Tkia Well-Known Member

Depends what you're after. OP wanted book stacks purely for aesthetics and there are 2 common graphics for those, a short stack and a tall stack. So if you wanted access to those you'd have to complete 2 book quests, one for each. And any other quest that gives any particular graphic you want access to on the Sage.
  11. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ah! Point. :)

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  12. Ocarinah Well-Known Member

Title: Jems' Mara Estate Home
    Decorator: Jems
    Owner: Jems
    Server: Skyfire
    Address: Mara Estate, Qeynos
    Category: Not published
    Note: Have you ever wondered... (feedback)

Title: Guildhall Door Gardens
    Decorator: Jems
    Owner: Jems
    Server: Skyfire
    Address: City of Mist, Qeynos
    Category: Massive Homes

13. Jems Member

Love love love love!!!! Sorry it took me so long to see these videos! I've been working on my thesis. Thank you so much... I have a crap computer... I've always wondered what everything looks like with the beauty of a monster machine behind it.
  14. Ocarinah Well-Known Member

You are so welcome! Hope your thesis is completely done. I didn't even record in 4k...I have to lower the resolution since viewers requested it. I would need a bigger cloud drive anyway to do everything 4k. Hubby and I have been trying to stop the itch since my machine has been acting up. So hard when we found a beautiful case and amazing video card. The case can fit two inside it, one for streaming one for playing. Now there is even 8k stuff. Drools. :p New rigs are too expensive tho. :(
    Breanna, Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Jems like this.