Harvester please read.

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Lacidious, Aug 15, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-Anordil Guest

Killerbee3000 wrote:
    They didn't. That's apparent.

We're expected to work our tushes off to get guild halls, but once we do, we're free from making an effort at harvesting by hiring NPCs to do it for us.

Obviously this is meant to free us up from the otiose task of harvesting so we can grind out writs and HQs.
  2. ARCHIVED-Dreamaria Guest

I like this idea. It allows players to stock up commons for crafting without forgoing the adventuring aspect of the game, they can run a couple instances and get a few commons. The amount of commons is really minimal to what one can collect in 30 minutes. It just gives players a little more time for other stuff.

As stated before 50s to 2g per common is rediculous so if it puts a little damper on those so be it. I've actually been sent a tell complaining that I put up 200+ pelts (common T7) for to little, because they were at 70(ish) silver and I put them up for 10s. My choice and my lose of money but someone sent me a tell saying I was ruining the market putting up a little over 200 pelts, I can't imagine newer players wanted to pay 70s for commons so they can finish out a crafting level without returning to harvesting to obtain the few commons they need for 5 or 6 combines.

Sounds like a nice little add to give players a break from harvesting and maybe a little more time for adventuring.

Not the place for this little tidbit but whatever my other 2 cents:
    The thing I worry about is the ability to place flags and call groups of people to a certain location, can't imagine the ability to FD to the Queen in chardok and flag it then port down and kill it without killing anything to get there. Yes, I personally know monks can fd that far, or to any of the camps in Seb, there are a few i know of that are safe to fd and stand in. I know this is semi possible already with CotH, however there is a wait and it does require having done some work to get the conjuror down there. This ability makes sense for raiders that have timed camps on contested epic encounters, but the ability to use it to do other things that puts out those that aren't in a guild that has a guild hall (such as pick up groups) is looking bad.
  3. ARCHIVED-wullailhuit Guest

So you wait 2 hours and recieve 100 pulls , thats 100 attempts or equivalent of 33 nodes?

Could be 100-150 roots....

I don't think the sky is falling on this one...
  4. ARCHIVED-SugarGirl Guest

How? If they don't have to choose between if they want to spend time adventuring or if they want to spend time harvesting, there will be even *more* competition out there for materials. More competition means less availability and this has the potential to make these materials skyrocket because the scarcity will make them infinitely more valuable.

Um... I can't figure out the logic here... if I pay an NPC to go out and harvest my commons, then I'm pretty much paying a set price for my commons, therefore the broker can do whatever it wants and I'm still paying the same price using an NPC. If the broker has them for less that what I can get for the NPC price, I can buy them from the broker. Basically, the NPC harvester sets a benchmark price for harvestables. I hardly think this means the end of the world for anyone in the game.
    As far as how it will affect the price of crafted items...it may lower the price there too. If I craft a T3 ring and I have to buy the mats for 1g each off of the broker, That cost is going to have to be absorbed by the buyer. If I can get the mats from an NPC harvester for an average price of 10s, then those savings can be passed on to my customer.
    SO, as I said before, I'm all for the change; however unpopular my opinion makes me. There are always ways to make money in this game. ****** crafters on the price of common harvestables just happens to be the easiest at the moment.
  5. ARCHIVED-TheScowl Guest

Now if only they can make an NPC Adventurer to head out and win some of that Fable gear for you. Also an NPC Crafter would be nice too. Jeez, I would never have to play again. This reminds me of a game that lets you make an NPC adventurer and never have to do anything again.
  6. ARCHIVED-SugarGirl Guest

TheScowl wrote:
    Oh yes, because harvesting is such an engaging part of the game!
  7. ARCHIVED-Kerane Guest

Wreatch@Nagafen wrote:
    This part of the OPs post made me smile.
    We allready have that, in the form of a burinay pet.
  8. ARCHIVED-SugarGirl Guest

Kerane wrote:
    HA HA HA!!! Good point.
    .............But wait... does that mean the entire economy has already fallen apart??!!!
  9. ARCHIVED-Kerane Guest

SugarGirl wrote:
    Nope, my point exactly.
    When the Burinay pet was brought into the game, people were making the same statements as they are doing now about the harvesting bot.
    The amount of shineys you can get from the pet is nice for one toon, but if you have a whole army of toons you can not depend on it to get all your shineys.
    So you will still buy a fair deal of them, or go out and try to find them yourself. Same will happen with the harvesting bot. Its nice to give you a few raws, but in the end, the amount of raws you get from 100 pulls is maybe enough for 15 minutes of crafting in the higher tiers.
    Not game breaking, and certainly not economy breaking. In the end, people will still be buying raws, just maybe not for the insane prices some folks put them up for.
  10. ARCHIVED-shaunfletcher Guest

SugarGirl wrote:
    You mean apart from removing any interesting market, sense of community or worthiness of the term MMO from this aspect of the game?
  11. ARCHIVED-Liljna Guest

There is a large element of chance imvolved with the burunai pet and it uses up items to do it's magic.
    This NPC harvester doesn't involved chance, since you can chooce to have it harvest ore and only ore (as example).

Now if the NPC would go out and do 100 pulls of all nodes (So you would get all kinds of harvestables, including food and wood) and we had chance involved that way, I think you could compare it to the burunai.

We don't know what this harvester will cost, that is yet another thing to remember. If it cost 5pp per week in upkeep and 500k status, perhaps it will still be cheaper to buy ore on the broker :p
  12. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

The dev designing this NPC was addimt that this NPC WILL NOT even return enough resources in a timly manor to even let 1 TSer do a Tradeskill grind session. They are talking it will take 2 or 3 hours to get like 100 ore, and any guild can only have 1 out at a time, that means if someone is running it for t2 ore then they can't run it for t8 wood. Also they are still desiding wether or not to let it harvest rares, and by the way the dev seemed to be talking he seems(this is all my impression he did not confirm one way or the other) to be leaning tord not picking up rares.
  13. ARCHIVED-Dread Quixadhal Guest

Wreatch@Nagafen wrote:
    Not worried.

If you can't harvest more than 100 pulls of something in several hours, you are drinking too much beer while harvesting. Or not enough... :)

I would assume the price of the NPC will go up with the tier they're able to go harvest.... I'd expect to pay some NPC a few silver to go harvest Tier 1 nodes... I'd expect to pay a lot for them to harvest T8 nodes. Probably enough that unless they get a rare or two, it won't be break-even -- but it will be a time saver.
  14. ARCHIVED-SugarGirl Guest

shaunfletcher wrote:

LOL .. oh yes, that's exactly what I mean because we all know how benchmarks have historical completely removed entire markets from existence! /sarcasm off
  15. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

Liljna wrote:
    Accually I think that is close to the upfront price of the NPC, though I'll have to check my pics to see if I have it to make shure. Also last I check I can hit more then 33 nodes in 2+ hours of play time.

This will not replace having to get goods by other means, unless your willing to wait WEEKS for 1 days grind seasion. And also only one harvester type can be active at a time and it can only vist one tier at a time, so again it will supliment your harvesting ablity, and it maybe nice to have it running so if you come up alittle short for say a rush order you don't have to hit the broker, but you won't be able to use this for any kind of major crafting season at all, again remember its only 33 node of one specific type and it will take 2 hours to do this. So even if 33 nodes was enough you would still have to get the other node types you need.

::EDIT::
    Well I don't have an image of the harvester, but currently just having a crafting table Amenitiy will cost 5p 500,000 status upfront and 10g 2,500 status per week. I seriously doupt the harvester will be below that, infact I would not be suprized if it was alot higher.

Lastly, there is not enough amenity slots in game even for a level 70 guild to get every slotted amenity, granted I think they may only come in one or two amenities short, and I really think something that takes 2hours to harvest 33 nodes will not be a top priority iteam.
  16. ARCHIVED-Kerane Guest

Liljna wrote:
    As i understand it, you can set it to harvest a particular type of node.
    And since most nodes have more then one type of raw it still comes down to chance.
    100 pulls with an average of 3 harvests per pull (making this number up, not sure what the actual average will be but going from a min of 1 and a max non crit of 5)
    So roughly 300 raws per session (which is a few hours), lets say in the case of ore 150 metal and 150 loam.
    If metal is all i need, in tier 8 you burn 150 metal in minutes, maybe max 15 minutes.
    However, metal is not all i need, for tsing i will need a lot more then just that.
    So now i go to the broker, look which raws i can buy cheapest, and i get the rest (the more expensive raws) from the NPC harvester. Fair deal, economy still intact, but the people who take pride in overpricing their raws to extreme hights will have to settle for a bit less, or lose out.
  17. ARCHIVED-tikasa Guest

As a harvester, i'm not liking this bit of info.....

"The harvesting NPCs will be of a specific type (miner, gatherer, etc.), and you can tell them to go out and harvest for a certain tier of resources. In a couple hours, you can then check back in with him and get the results of 100 random pulls from the proper node type."
    If it is cancel all 3 of my subscriptions and both of my boyfriends.

Thanks for making the small guilds worthless with the new guild halls btw
  18. ARCHIVED-SugarGirl Guest

Ooops! Wrong thread
  19. ARCHIVED-SugarGirl Guest

tikasa wrote:

ALready being discussed here

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=426930
  20. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

tikasa wrote:
    You do know that 100 random pulls from an Ore node is 33 nodes or about a stack and a half of random Ore(wich could mean 150 Loam and 150 Ore), and this will take TWO HOURS to do. You will still need to get wood, roots and all the other harvests, and really even if it brought back all Ore thats still really not enough Ore for any kind of grind seasion for ONE crafter let alone a guild full of them. It's more of a nice thing to have in case you run out while doing a writ or something, but there is no way it will be able to replace harvesting for yourself.