Harvestable Status Item for High Level Guilds

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by mouser, Nov 23, 2015.

1. mouser Well-Known Member

Ok, we've got the thread going about the new rules for status for guilds over level 101. Here's my specific suggestion to give crafters an alternative to writs, which have been taken away as a guild leveling device at those levels.

Make a rare harvestable that can be turned in for status that counts for guilds over level 101. So long as a clever harvester can still move around the zones with a low level adventurer, I'd say this still qualifies as 'crafter content'. It shouldn't be easy, but don't go placing mobs around to ensure it can't be done. The games been pretty good about this from what I've seen, though I haven't been through ToT yet, so I can't say for sure.

- You can make it no-trade if you feel the need to ensure guilds are harvesting it themselves.
    - It should be rare. If I spend three to four solid hours harvesting, I should come away with one or two of these things (kind of like what rares were, once upon a time).
    - For its value, figure out what a solo adventurer could come up with in that time frame and base it off that, It doesn't have to be equal, but it shouldn't be orders of magnitude smaller. Not as much as a daily quest, but enough you feel like you got something.

The important thing (at least in my eyes) is that there exists a reliable stream of status activities available, even if that stream is slower than one would have by adventuring and raiding. Players who do all three will still progress faster, but you won't leave one group feeling neglected or left out in the cold.

Edit: I wouldn't be sad at all to see harvesting become really competitive again :)
    Gulaep, Xillean, Zukira and 3 others like this.
  2. Kurei Hitaka Well-Known Member

I like the idea. Honestly, they should take a page from Rift's book I think, and reward us for whatever playstyle we're into -- or for having different playstyles we like -- by allowing all forms to participate equally. I was looking at the Beta threads before the expac launched, and it seems it is currently very Adventuring heavy to level guilds past 101, which is kind of sad.
  3. Zukira Member

I like this idea
  4. mouser Well-Known Member

Only two people with an opinion?

Hell, I'd trade the goblin for this - or at least set him on a 12 or 24 hour timer.
  5. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

The keys from the Treasure Chest quests drop a status item worth about 8000 status.
  6. Avirodar Well-Known Member

Due to the simplicity of leveling a crafter these days, it is common for people to have a "stable" of crafters. Simply going back to the threads about reaearch assistants and harvesting depots is evidence of such.

With the multiple weekly crafting quests, anyone with a stable of crafters has plenty of ability to contribute to guild exp.

Not max level at crafting? With how easy it is to smash out max level crafters, those who exclusively craft have little to be concerned about.
    Deveryn likes this.
  7. Deveryn Well-Known Member

This.

I have 9. I know many other players have 9. Even those who used to swear they'd never get into crafting now have 9 because of how easy it is. Others have talked about having 30 or 65. Let's not kid ourselves. It's still easy enough to level a guild. It only requires some zoning.
    Vladislav likes this.
  8. Lasai Well-Known Member

How is dodging aggro somehow a "crafting" activity. I'm heartily sick of the whole concept of that.
    Vladislav and Deveryn like this.
  9. mouser Well-Known Member

Well, you see back in the days before guild halls had miners and trappers and every crafter had a personal lootmonkey, crafting mats actually had to be harvested by players out in the world. Now not every crafter harvested, some bought their mats off the broker, but harvesting was recognized as part of the chain of events that brought crafted items to life.

Personally, I'm heartily sick of rares being more common than dirt and harvesting being basically a wasted exercise. Nerf the goblins and ponies and make crafters either buy their mats or harvest them by hand again. Make materials part of the free market economy that EQ2 did so well for so long.

Edit: of course, nothing stops crafters from having a high level adventuring toon to run around and harvest with.
    Goes nicely with the rewarding multiple styles of play concept.
  10. Lasai Well-Known Member

I've played since 2005, thanks. Harvesting is not crafting. I would wager that more harvests have been made by underlevel, undergeared bots than those few "pure" , loud crafters who thought Aggro Dodging was somehow part of Crafting.

This concept was formally inserted into the game with the RoK TS quests to the point a max adventure crafter was forced to play aggro dodge by scaling the mobs up to insta gib. It's dumb.
  11. mouser Well-Known Member

Bumping this back up since I still think it's a _viable_ way for the devs to allow all players, of all levels, to still contribute to guild status while meeting their goal of 'getting players out of the guild houses'.

Do I think this is the ideal solution? No - but it's a lot better than flat out telling low level guildies they can no longer contribute to the guild (and no, I don't think one off things like HQ's count for that).

Add an item to each tier, like you did for spellshards, that can be turned in for guild status, and that counts no matter what the guild level is. T0 items should award a little, higher tiers award more. Make them truly rare - like rare harvests used to be back in the day. Exclude them from the loot tables for goblins and ponies.

Will bots harvest some? Undoubtedly. But that fact shouldn't be enough to offer this avenue for all the legit players that as of right now have ZERO opportunity to help their guild advance without rushing through to max level. If you think bots are a concern, make the things NO-TRADE or HEIRLOOM.

Again, this isn't about racing a guild up to 150 or making leveling a guild easy (which it still is). It's about giving all players the ability to contribute instead of telling them "You must be this tall to ride this ride".

A guild is a community of all its members, not just the ones at the top. For those with long memories, the guild system started with only a certain number of members able to contribute. That system was a failure (for more than a few reasons).

We need to make _all_ members (and by extension, players) feel included, not excluded.
  12. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

i adventure as well as craft, i craft to supply my adventuring and sure i do love to deco... but as mouse said, one offs by doing the hq's are limited. the only thing raising my guild right now is one toon really, a toon i twinked up to 90 because within a few days if me going live the rabbits came out and she as a 50 toon was getting slaughtered, i couldn't do anything with my lower leveled ones above 20 because of those damned lettuce eaters. i really don't enjoy standing at a table for hours crafting, unless i'm decorating, i actively search out other ways to raise my crafting that doesn't require it. raising an adventuring toon is just as easy as raising a crafting toon, i was 50 even as a basic newbie in 3 days. getting status is another story.

my hubby has hardly contributed any status, nor my other guildies because they are low level and adventuring. i just checked, because he's not done any hq's yet he's added only just over 12k as a 37 BL to the guild(he works 12 or more hour days, the fact he can stay awake for an hour a night is the best he can do with a very phsycial job), the rest even less. do i begrudge him or the others this? no, because my guild was made for people who just want to play and have fun and have sometimes only a few hours a week. shall i tell them they're no longer going to count and i'm going to change the guild because status seems to be everything? of course not, but other guilds who are more competitive, and were not made with my views will.

both playstyles are perfectly valid, and both should be allowed to thrive in their own way. the changes though, only promote one playstyle... reach the top at all costs. this is going to hurt players like me and my guild mates who play to have fun, not reach the top as soon as we can.

i like this idea, it's nothing to harvest while killing, keep it rare. lower guildmates should not be ignored and shunted until they're good enough, or you're going to find guilds breaking up.
    Gulaep likes this.
  13. Vladislav Active Member

To me, if you are under lvl 100, you are not really a "crafter". Sorry, but it takes a single weekend to level a fresh toon to be a lvl 100 crafter. If you were burning through writs in the past, there simply no way you are not lvl 100 by now. At TS lvl 90, characters can "aggro dodge" their way around AoM dailies like truffle and seagull quests to help level their guilds.
  14. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

maybe if you've been playing for years, check the age on cheallaigh.. oh and her crafting level. there's a reason i said i have one toon raising the guild....
  15. Vladislav Active Member

And as such, guild lvl 100 should not even be on your horizon until many years from now. Originally guild levels took incredible amount of effort by many people. It is nice to see cheesy writs being reigned in somewhat.
  16. Vladislav Active Member

Also, how fast you level a crafter has nothing to do with how long you played. With new TS quests in starter zones, you can be level 50 TS in less than 4 hours.
  17. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

since views are clearly set in stone, all discussion is moot.
  18. mouser Well-Known Member

But they're not being "reigned in", they're being eliminated.

I can say it's nice to see cheesy raid loot being "reigned in" too, but that still leaves a lot of unhappy players if the forums are any clue.
  19. Vladislav Active Member

Really? Please tell what what is the fastest, most efficient way of getting a guild from lvl 1 to lvl 100?
  20. Noguchi Member

Fastest way to hit 100 a Guild is ask all the Boter on Us Server, 1week afk boting with ogre bot on a 6man Team thats why most Guilds big on the us Servers :p

If you play Legal do writs HQ or run solo zones nice status too....