Guild Wars 2

Discussion in 'Non-Gameplay Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Tayne, Apr 27, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-Tayne Guest

NDA lifted. Playing the open beta now.
    All I can say is .. OH. MY. GOD.
    This is amazing. The graphics, the lore ... and NO monthly fees!
    Wahoo!
  2. ARCHIVED-Gravy Guest

Jayne@Kithicor wrote:
    I'm also playing it.
    Do you think the graphics are that great? To me, they seem like a moderate improvement over the first GW but nothing amazing. It's my understanding that they are simply using a modified version of the original engine.
    The graphics are certainly less than I expect from a top tier MMO released in 2012.
    That said, I think the event system is pretty amazing. No more stealing mobs or quest updates.
  3. ARCHIVED-Tayne Guest

Yes, completely. On my monitor they look very vivid and the interaction while fighting (I picked an elementalist) is stunning. The flames that shoot out of me actually look like flames.
    Is that the end of beta today? I just got booted. :(
  4. ARCHIVED-Gravy Guest

Jayne@Kithicor wrote:
    Beta is through Sunday.
    I also played an Ele and died a lot in the event area down around the mines. She was a Norn elementalist. There was a little raid event where guys kept coming out of the mine. I died over and over and over. That's funny because death was supposed to not really happen in GW2. Yet, when you're downed you can still die. And I did. A lot.
    So I rolled a Char Warrior but hated teh animation when he ran.
    So i went back and rolled a Norn Warrior. So far so good with that. Good surviabilty and good animation on attacks.
  5. ARCHIVED-Tayne Guest

Gravy wrote:
    Well the cool thing is ANYONE can rez you .. any class can rez. It's brilliant.
    As for the guys in the cave .. when you first wander in, you'll notice they'll be green. DO NOT TALK TO THEM! lol they turn agro and own your butt. If you don't talk to them, you can wander in and get your stuff without consequence.
    I'm going to tough it out with my squishy elementalist. She's died once (see above about talking to the dudes in the cave) ... but so far she's managed to nuke the ever living life outta mobs :)
    It goes through sunday? Hrm, maybe my server is down. Will check back in a bit.
  6. ARCHIVED-Gravy Guest

Jayne@Kithicor wrote:
    Down for 30 minutes for an update.
  7. ARCHIVED-Tayne Guest

I'm not sleeping tonight, am I?
  8. ARCHIVED-Tayne Guest

oh wait .. lol .. I finally found the instance to get the sage for the pup .. I see what you mean ... hrm. Well I'll try

Woot .. did it .. just have to go really slow and plan your attack ... love that you had to think it out to get it done .. another kudos to GW2!!
  9. ARCHIVED-Tayne Guest

Can I just say ....

[IMG]

I freakin' LOVE this hat! :) lowbie hat, but still very cool!
  10. ARCHIVED-Dreyco Guest

I am actually quite impressed with the game thus far. It does need a little work, but the foundation of what is there is really, really solid.
  11. ARCHIVED-Ciara52 Guest

12. ARCHIVED-Tekadeo Guest

I was a little disappointed with the sluggish controls, reminded me of wow unfortunately. I mean why would a lean athletic Norn or Charr suddenly turn into an 80-year old granny when backpedaling, turning or strafing? Was pretty much the only annoyance I had though. It's beautiful, loved the character creation and the storyline (even tho they are a bit cookie cutter).

I will also be very interested to see the Asura race fleshed out
  13. ARCHIVED-Tayne Guest

Well I came away from the beta weekend being very impressed overall.
    What I liked:
    Any player could rez someone. Was wonderful to see players helping players all the way through.
    You could right click from your bags and sell on the market. No more runs to the city to sell an item. Likewise you could right click from your bag and send crafting materials directly to your bank, no matter where you were in the world.
    Spells were gained by weapon use. Use a dagger and get a certain set of spells -- keep using them to max them out. Use a trident and get a totally different set of spells. Use a wand and again, a totally different set of skills to max out. Interesting dynamic.
    Likewise, you click the spell button once for some spells and it repeats in combat -- no more carpal tunnel.
    Major events like PQ's all over -- you join in with everyone in zone to defeat the enemy. And they happen sporadically ... you could wander into one area and the event wouldn't be up .. wander back and suddenly it's a brand new game in that area you revisit.
    Clothing -- oh my, the outfits are gorgeous.
    Adventuring: Some of the zones were quite tough and required strategy to play out and win. I loved that they didn't just hand you your reward after bashing a good number of mobs. Some thought put into this.
    Crafting: Quite interesting. You place a collected harvesting material from your adventures into the combine and get any number of 1 to 3 recipes from it -- and those recipes are unknown until you try combinations of items -- think Skyrim a bit there. I didn't have a lot of time to investigate this aspect of the game, but it's a rather unique crafting system that I think I'll greatly enjoy.
    What I wasn't overly fond of:
    Harvesting tools are consumables. I wanted one tool that didn't take up valuable bag space.
    Housing. The player housing has NPC's in it. EQ2 is the master of this aspect of the game and I guess I'm a bit spoiled, but I wanted a place I could design and call my own. Right now you can't put down your own furniture or trophies, and while the room changes and grows as you adventure, there's no way to personalize it yourself. Hopefully they'll do something about this. But EQ2 has it hands down over them on this.
    Lack of tutorial in the starter area. There's a ton of confusion in the starter area -- with no clear direction on how to do things, where to go, etc .. it took me a while to learn the adventuring UI, and by that time I'd died a good number of times, lol. Likewise with crafing and harvesting -- no clue how to start on that, would be nice if they fleshed that out a bit.
  14. ARCHIVED-Zaurus Guest

I was very impressed with the game, it lived up to all my expectations. The questing was a nice change of pace; it felt like I was actually fighting on the same team as everyone else around me instead of competing with them over kills.

Just wanted to share a nice screenshot of my Charr Warrior, I think it turned out pretty nice.
    http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/...s%202/gw007.jpg
  15. ARCHIVED-Ciara52 Guest

Nice warrior :D

My only complaint is the weekend was to short and what happened to the Moa birds!!
    I have a black moa and a white moa in GW and they are huge at lvl 20 lol
    But these moas now :( sad just sad
  16. ARCHIVED-Tayne Guest

lol I'm actually having withdrawal twitchies ... When's the next beta?
  17. ARCHIVED-Tayne Guest

Beta stress test tomorrow from 11 am PDT to 6pm PDT .. sadly that encompasses the entire time I'll be at work. Have fun those of you who are able to play .. I'm completely jealous.
  18. ARCHIVED-Rendoir Guest

Is the beta only available to peopel that have pre-purchased the game, and is it going to be a continuous beta till release now anyone know please?
  19. ARCHIVED-Tayne Guest

You're guaranteed to get into every beta if you pre-purchase (not pre-order, careful when you go to make your purchase) ....
    They are also giving away the regular beta invites to folks who haven't purchased, but they're at a premium.
    Since there's no release date yet, you can at least play if you pre-purchase ... I'm really hoping they release soon though, lol.
    The way I look at it, with no monthly fee, you buy the game once and that's it. So I pre-purchased.
  20. ARCHIVED-Raffir Guest

Pre-purchased also. One time charge of $64.64. Played last weekends Beta.
    Love the artwork / graphics in that game. Lots of things I like about GW2 so far. Not really supposed to say much about it yet. There is a cash shop similar to the one here. Nothing on there is really game changing or even needed as far as that goes. But there some neat little perks .
    But, can't wait for the next Beta...whenever that is.
    Raf