Guild is under a hostile takeover

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by DaimonosLucifer, Aug 15, 2020.

1. DaimonosLucifer Active Member

Rather unfortunate that a particular guild leader has taken it upon themselves to kick, boot and delete anyone who talks in guild chat. With an apparent history of this kind of thing,

My first question is how on Norrath did one guild leader removed another guild leaders access? that shouldn't be possible right ?

Still talking to support about this but does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? how can we oversome this randomness?
  2. DaimonosLucifer Active Member

Does anyone know if its possible to vote-kick a guild leader?

It seems like everyone who logs in is kicked moments later :L
  3. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Anyone who is a guild leader can kick people at will.If you have a guild leader who has been absent and non-responsive for a long time, you can start a guild vote to replace the leader, IF you have officers still playing to initiate it. But by and large, the company has always been hands off in the general regulation of guild affairs.

You wouldn't want to hang around the same guild this person is in, anyway, so lead an exodus and get a new guildhall.

BTW, even a raiding guild doesn't have to have a big guild hall. You can get all the necessary amenities into a T1 easily, and still have fun decorating the hall.
    Juraiya, Schmetterling and Breanna like this.
  4. DaimonosLucifer Active Member

yeah from talking with people we suspect that is what happened, i last logged in on the 18th July to promote some people to members, apparently the now sole guild leader(who was already a guild leader) has been kicked from other guilds for causing drama :L

If only we could just claim the premium and owned items from the guild hall then it's something we could accept but atm its just too painful :L

Might just have to accept that this is who this person is and its sucky

It still doesnt make sense that one guild leader can start a coup and remove other guild leaders, how does that logic work, theres already an active leader so how can they claim theres no active leaders and start a vote? unless they demoted alts to officer and did it that way..
  5. Aeriel Active Member

Any active guild leader can promote, demote, kick - they don't need to start a vote. We experienced this early in our EQ2 days but didn't lose any premium and owned items which would have been very disappointing. The other person involved sold the guild for plat. Our experience was that DBG (it was Sony at that time) was very hands off and not interested in sorting it out - I guess that for them it is difficult to arbitrate. Some players are just selfish. Hope you find a decent guild or manage to start your own
    Dude likes this.
  6. DaimonosLucifer Active Member

yeah its not great and they arnt a good person at all, but i still dont understand how a guild leader can demote another guild leader, makes no sense :L
  7. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Every guild has the option to decide what powers the various ranks possess. By default, the highest rank can demote others.

To avoid this hostile takeover scenario you folks have experienced, I would set up a single "Guild Leader" (ours is "Clan Chieftain", whatever you call it!) and only that person can demote.I'd also limit it to the top dog to be able to Change Permissions, Change Guild Heraldry and Change Rank Names. Plus the rights everyone below them have.

Then the next lower rank could be your "Council of Elders". I'd expect this group to be able to Edit Guild Event Filters, Edit Guild Events, Edit the various types of Notes, Make Others Guild Recruiters, Manage Calendar Events.

Third down would be "Officers", who should be able to Promote Guild Members and Invite to Guild.

You need to decide how to manage your Guild Bank. We usually set up so that the top Guild Bank has Officer+ access only, and anything valuable such as rares is stored there, and people can ask for them and have any officer get them out.

Also, you have to decide if you want some or all of your officers to be Guild Hall Trustees. There are times you will want to make specific people Trustees from the door, as when interior decorating is going on.

When I was leading a very active guild, we had it set so that the lowest level rank could not display the guild tag or heraldry, and they could not purchase status items. This was because it was not uncommon to have someone join the guild, buy a horse, then leave. We also limit access to depots of all sorts, so that random visitors and new members can't clean out the harvest box and depots, leave the guild, and sell it all (which was a big problem serverwide at that time, I don't recall which in the series of merges it was).
  8. DaimonosLucifer Active Member

thats some good tips thank you for that, we more or less had the same setup. Its a harsh system, to be able to vote yourself to the top and demote and kick everyone else, why on Norrath was that in place lol. seems crazy

I dont know why but i feel like i tried demoting my own alts to a lower rank but had to log in to each of them, i wasnt able to use an officer to demote an officer, does you know if any guild leader can just demote another guild leader?

Its just the not knowing thats the worst.
  9. DaimonosLucifer Active Member

some of the guild features like that im not too familiar with, i know theres a guild bank withdrawal limit, is there one for depots and such? i really need to study up on all the fine details before starting anew :confused:
  10. jbc1948 Well-Known Member

When you have the rank of Guild Leader you can promote as many people as you want to that rank but you can also demote them or just kick them out. All you can do when somebody decides to go dictator is quit the guild and look for a new one.
    Now if a Guild leader has left the game I believe it is possible to petition to have a new leader selected but I don't know how that would work or even if it really can be done.
  11. Dude Well-Known Member

Any guild leader has the full range of control to promote, demote, kick out, invite, etc. They also can set the range of what is available to every level below guild leader. That means your leader probably set it so that officers can't demote other officers.
  12. Feldon Well-Known Member

Guilds used to be:
    • A chatroom
    • Certain houses were tied to guild level
    • Cloak heraldry
    • Shared bank
    They added:
    • Guild Halls with a tremendous amount of accumulated wealth, status, and Marketplace-purchased items
    • Voice chat
    • Achievements
    • Rally Flags
    • Call to Guild Hall
    • Marketplace Guild Halls
    An inordinate amount of prestige, value (including real world money), and effort can be tied up in a guild hall which is subject to the whim of one angry guild leader. Yet the tools provided to manage guild ownership have not progressed much since 2004 except for the voting option for a guild with absent guild founders.
  13. DaimonosLucifer Active Member

Whims... whos idea was that for an evolutionary step.
  14. DaimonosLucifer Active Member

oh right so if one guild leader promotes someone else to leader they still retain the right to kick them? thats real harsh, as ive found out lol
  15. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

I am the guild leader of a guild that was abandoned years ago after 3 years of being the only one still playing I petitioned
    to get the leadership.
    An e mail was send to all the upper rank members , lol boy 6 or 8 logged on after 3 years , and the guild leader was asking why I wanted to take over the guild .
    She promoted me one level kicked one level 3 toon , but the ball was rolling .
    I wanted the guild , so I could decorate the guild hall and have full use of the guild bank
    In that guild everybody could recruit , so I had 2 alts in the guild , both votes for me .
    But I also made sure I don't change any of the ranks and I told her I won't kick anybody , so if they ever want to come back
    they can .
    Juraiya, Nazy and Breanna like this.
  16. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Legends of the Tundra (originally Lucan de Lere server) has a rank called "Guild Legend", which is where people who had contributed 1M status went, and officers who quit logging in got placed there. That rank was our highest non-officer rank, and they could not kick or demote. I may be the only person still in the guild at this point, but if any of the old-timers came back, and got active, it's easy enough to change ranks.
  17. DaimonosLucifer Active Member

uh huh thats a good plan, i used to think thats what we did but every time there was a new guild leader they decided to demote everyone to MIA(recruit) if they were gone for a few months :L I tried promoting everyone so they could come back and be where they were, function included. was just an uphill struggle.
  18. DaimonosLucifer Active Member

another update :L turns out the guild was sold, either RL or ingame currency i dont know which. after attempting to contact around 7 of the new members i finally managed to find one kind enough to return a box i placed in guild halls, which was nice.
    still tho.. if theres ever to be a new EQ game, please for the love of all things good change how leaders and access works.
  19. Dude Well-Known Member

I know it's a rough lesson, but never make anyone a GL that you don't completely trust. That means knowing them in RL or having known them in game for many years. If you have stuff in the Guild Hall that belongs to you, you might be able to petition to have those things returned to you.
    Breanna likes this.
  20. DaimonosLucifer Active Member

yeah, no one made this person GL they voted themselves in since everyone was taking a long break apparently, people only dipped in for casual play. since you can vote yourself to claim the guild then its basically game over :L

apparently your supposed to be notified when theres a leader vote i never got one though. just so many things wrong with this situation.
    Juraiya and Feldon like this.