Guides for old raids

Discussion in 'Zones and Populations' started by Bisonhawk, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Bisonhawk New Member

I love going back and doing old raids for item appearances and such, but I never raided back in the day, and recently hit a bit of a wall due to not knowing strats.

Tl:dr for those who aren't bored: I've found scattered websites with bits and pieces of raids, but nothing really comprehensive. Is there anything? The wiki and zam I use for nearly everything don't seem to have info, and googling the boss or raid name with "guide" or "strat" will sometimes yield old forum posts or something. But not this time.

I went to do the Dreadscales Maw. I've done other level 100 raids from that era without issues. So I get to the first boss, I charge in expecting the boss to poof nearly instantly as many have before him.

Then I'm dead. I checked my log, and took 7 million from an ability called "Lethal consequences, and that's it, despite having 35 mil HP I died. I manage to get a lucky crit with Cascading Force+buffs the second time around and poof he went in a single spell. I rejoice, and continue on. After wandering around and checking all the rooms, I couldn't find any bosses. At this point I tried to find a guide, thinking I may need to clear specific trash or I missed a switch. But I found nothing.

After nearly giving up I decided to complete my lap. When I entered the main room I turned left and started checking platforms and rooms. After checking the final room, I had found nothing. No named mobs on tracking. By some whim I decided to finish my lap and go down the right side instead of just evacing. That's when I really hot the wall.

Lady Mir-something or another. Once again, lethal consequences insta-killing me, at this point I figured out that meant I wasn't doing mechanics, as opposed to it just being a mechanic on the first boss. The best I could get with Ascension bursts was about 50%, so one shotting was out. I noticed if I don't attack her myself, and just send in a Merc, my Merc doesnt get instantly gibbed, but as soon as I pull aggro I die. I tried pulling her and doing nothing, I figured maybe I needed to wait for a trigger or something.

But she just despawning after like 6 seconds of hitting me. I gave up once my items broke.

So yeah, any decent place with a lot of guides? My Google-fu is usually pretty solid, but we can't win them all I guess.
  2. Shadowscale Active Member

need a full leveled tear of veeshaan adorn for maw i beleave.
  3. Klownage New Member

The way i had to run the zone is 1 shot every named, they have some sort of buff that will take a couple hits then you can do dmg to them. I would sent in my pet to hit them till they take dmg then ethershadow them.
  4. Noizette Active Member

5. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

As you run these, if you will take notes and share them, and maybe your logfile for that raid, I will try to get the wiki updated.

When raid zones are current, a lot of raid guilds are highly secretive with the strategies. And if I'm in the raid, if I am healing I see nothing but health bars, or if on my conjy, blasting and trying to keep a sharp eye on my pet... either way, I may or may not have a sense for the strategy.
  6. Gregore Active Member

I've farmed about every must have appearance item from the old raid zones. You're not going to find a lot of information. You just need to keep pulling them and figure out ways to beat them. More DPS is the best way. I 1-shot everything in that Dreadscale Maw raid zone. If you can't 1-shot them, you won't get far. Not sure about the green adornment thing that somebody else posted, but it sounds time consuming to farm the mats, make the adorn, and level it up. Far easier to just 1-shot the mobs. Some sexy red and black armor in that zone, and a unique Sokokar mount.
  7. Bisonhawk New Member

I managed to one shot the first boss, but I can't seem to do so on Lady mirenilla, and i need her to die before others come in. I found a thread only about a year old with people saying she's the only boss you can't one shot, you need to do stuff to get her "true form" then you can one shot that, otherwise you script fail and wipe.

But that was a year ago, gear is probably better now. Just curious, what's your gear like? I'm an SK with about 67k potency and about 1 mil ability mod, I don't raid or anything. Cascading Force can usually one shot, it did so on the first boss, but falls massively short on this mob, only about 50%.

And if I try to do mechanics, she resets. She spawns adds but if I go after them she just resets. If they touch me I die. If I kill the adds, she resets. I tried leaving her at certain HP% for killing adds. Nothing works, she always either insta kills me or resets.
  8. Bisonhawk New Member

I'd actually love to take notes but as I said in my post above this, I'm not sure what I can do for this boss at this point, as if I don't get one shot by pushing her HP too far with ascension's, she just reset constantly.

Does eq2 run any "anti-cheating" like scripts? They obviously have a script to punish for mechanic fails, but for instance in Wow if a boss can't hit you they evade all attacks and will reset or tele you into range to prevent people from just evading and killing bosses. Will bosses despawning in raids if they don't get hit for a bit? I tried fighting her all over to prevent her from leashing and resetting like some games do. If she didn't reset I could do the fight as it seems to be intended, which is kill adds then kill her true form, the forum post someone linked earlier had strats for this boss (thanks Noizette!)
  9. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

It depends. Some scripts are pretty rigid and you HAVE to follow the script. Some allow you to be... creative.
  10. Bisonhawk New Member

I got her. I had my chat box set to the combat log, so I was missing the "You can't do that under someone else's control" prompt. She mind controls, which leaves her with no target, so she resets. I brought in my level 100 Troub box, I expected her to MC him but he just sat at range and never got MC'd, she didn't reset, I was able to kill the adds then kill her.
    Sigrdrifa likes this.
  11. Zeddicious Well-Known Member

Before long, all of these old raid strats will be lost knowledge, sadly.
    Thankfully, much of them can be cleared with brute force and careful scrutiny of the encounter logs - but the old Cobalt Scar challenge duo zones - the strat for creating the Hydra helm... getting encounters into Hard Mode...etc et al. I was just thinking about this the other day. Wonky.
    Semperfifofum and Breanna like this.
  12. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Since stuff keeps coming back in Fabled versions, this is data that should be preserved.
    Semperfifofum and Breanna like this.
  13. Bisonhawk New Member

It doesn't have to! Pass your knowledge onto me, I'll gladly scribble it down into a guide for all to see :)

Otherwise, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. Its kinda fun. I can't one shot the boss after Mirenilla (I have 67k potency and 1 mil mod, 4500 crit bonus is that really that low? Lots of people talk about one shotting these even a year ago, maybe being an SK is the issue?), But im figuring out the strat pretty quickly. Boss spawns adds and does a fire breath, if add is up the breath kills. Guessing the breath is timed and adds are HP based maybe? It's hard to tell with how chunky DPS is, and no timer in game, but I'll get it one way or another. I love solo challenges.
    Semperfifofum likes this.
  14. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Are you using Advanced Combat Tracker? All the ACT timers and triggers I have are available via Dropbox. Some of the calls will provide clues about the strategy for that fight.
  15. Bisonhawk New Member

I do, but I've never used it for more than parsing/reading log files for theorycrafting classes/boss strats. Can it make actual overlays in game? Either way I'm gonna check this out, thanks!
  16. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

You can have ACT display both spell timers and a DPS bar chart as an overlay. Most of my triggers call out to warn you you need to joust, or stand still, cure something, or whatever it is.
  17. Bisonhawk New Member

Better than nothing, that's for sure. How far back do these go? I won't be home for awhile so I can't look at them atm. I probably would have figured out Mirenilla a lot faster with a trigger about her MC lol
  18. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Mmm... back to Skyshrine and Drunder at least. I can probably remember most of KoS, since I tanked up through then, but if I was on a healer I have no idea about anything other than health bars.
    Breanna likes this.
  19. Bisonhawk New Member

I can one shot everything in Drunder, so even just going that far back is great, should cover most of the areas where I actually need a strat. Thanks again!
  20. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Its sad. Someone went into the wiki and deleted a ton of information. I know this for a fact as I have printed copies of some things that were on there and now they are gone. I just have no idea who did it or why. It would be nice if there were a way to get the owners of wiki to restore all the deleted content and then it could just be gone through and fixed if need be. If the quest or whatever is not in game any longer, just a note at the top of that page, something such as this quest has been removed from the game. There is no reason to ever delete any of the information, it scalds me like burning books.
    Breanna likes this.