Guides and the Guide Program.

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Twicket, Mar 16, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-Meitner Guest

Rqron wrote:
    I think that there is a need to apply some common sense to the issue; it's the same as the "never give out personal details online" rule. It's a guideline to protect novice users against responding to everquest2csr@gmail.com who is phishing for loggins, not about logging into sony websites.
    For example- you recieve an email from merchant at scam.com asking you to reenter your credit card number to verify it for a purchase you made- obviously someone is trying to get your information. However, if you follow the rule to the letter, you could not, by the same token go to your account page for eq2 and update your billing info- because someone from SOE is asking for both a name and password and your credit card info.
    You are right to want to protect your aaount, and I encourage you to do your homework- verify that the site is an SOE website, check the security certificate, or even the whois if it will put your mind at ease.
    This in'st some level one player named guide_apper sending you a tell in game, it's a website, owned by SOE, requiring a login, and other than it's purpose (taking applications for the guide program), it is no different than logging into these forums or to the account area of everquest2.com to update your information there.
    Hopefully I've put some of your fears to rest,; there was a reason I never joined debate club. :) If not i'm sure some one will be along who might be able to give a better picture of what is going on than I can, but as for me lunch is over and the boss is looking at me.
  2. ARCHIVED-re1master Guest

what does this have to do with gameplay? :< Can't this be like a community announcement?
  3. ARCHIVED-Rqron Guest

Alexander@Guk wrote:
    Nah, then nobody would ever find this tread. And guides are definitely related to game play...or at least ...they should be

J.C.
  4. ARCHIVED-Rijacki Guest

Meitner wrote:
    The problem is that portion of the form doesn't look like a Login (though when you click the next, that's exactly what it tells you it's doing).

I'm sorry, but the design of the form is very poor.

If you need a log in (apparently you do), the Login should be done first and separate from other form elements, like it is for this forum, for the billing forms, etc. Right now it looks like you are putting that information on a form the senior guides will be reviewing (as I would assume the whole application is), not a login.

When I saw that presentation, I was extremely hesitant to continue the form at all since, while I might want to volunteer to participate, I am not volunteering to have my station ID and password handed over to -any- SOE employee and definitely not to any volunteer employee. Heck, I would even refuse to hand over my station ID and password to my guild leader (which is why I could never be in a raid guild that requires it).
  5. ARCHIVED-Emaree Guest

Rqron wrote:
    Right-O you are Ron! We are very much so about gameplay. We could talk about how often we have to do this, that, or the other thing, but the bottom line is that we are here to help you with your gameplay: be it to enhance it through dynamic quests, to act as a walking, talking cookie and milk dispenser (as was pointed out earlier), or to help those who are having difficulties filing, or finding the status of, a filed petition.
    Besides... what better place (than on server) for a meet and greet?
  6. ARCHIVED-Rijacki Guest

BTW, it's not that easy to find any links to the guide program outside this forum. For example, there is no link on the EQ2Players site. There's not even any link on this site outside the few threads where the guide program is being talked about in any way (this one, one in the Norrathian Homeshow, and a very old one in announcements, I think).

I'd started an app in the morning but had to abandon it when it took longer than a few minutes and I needed to leave for work. I wanted to start back at the top and had to come to this forum to look for links since I couldn't find any where I thought it would be logical (if it's not meant to be hidden), EQ2Players.

Having to hunt around for how to even start the app isn't all that inviting.
  7. ARCHIVED-Cboathx Guest

stavery wrote:
    To clarify once and for all regarding Guide postings, any forum handle associated with the Guide Program will have a title of Guide+ (Guide, Senior Guide, Elder Guide) plus it will be displayed in a BOLD GREEN colour...

Bold Green Details (Advanced Forum Users):
    rgb(51, 255, 6)
    rgb(20%, 100%, 2%)
    #33FF06
    33FF06
    R: 51, G: 255, B: 6 | #33FF06 | font

Rijacki wrote:
    The Guides that process these applications will not see your account details, as far as I know. They are only given the answers to the multiple choice and essay sections for grading. The Guide Liaison (paid and employed by Sony Online Entertainment) uses your account information to validate your claims and ensure your account is in good terms with the Sony Online Entertainment. Also, Meitner is correct, all guides that have been in the Guide Programme had to fill out that application in someway (there is an option to request an e-mail from guideadmin@station.sony.com).

Side note: The release of the Guide program to engage in posting content here was not coordinated with other efforts on-going to improve functionality regarding recruitment.

Sincerely,

Guide Cboath
    Najena Server
    "We are the Knights who say, 'Ni!'"
  8. ARCHIVED-gith Guest

Meitner wrote:
    Thankyou for alleviating my concerns Meitner.
    I thought the application site was just a form where all the details collected are sent to an email account. I understand now that you are saying that its like logging in, and this password detail is not sent to anyone? Right?
  9. ARCHIVED-Meitner Guest

Rlaal@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    That is correct. I won't argue with others that the form is not properly designed, but it is just a simple login page.
  10. ARCHIVED-rvbarton Guest

I'm very excited about this and think this is an exciting opportunity! I look forward to helping out in a completely new fashion, if my application is approved all the way!
  11. ARCHIVED-Rosabel Guest

We appreciate any constructive feedback anyone has to contribute. We do have a method to provide feedback for how a guide page looks (not for game play applications though), and I will point our Elders to the concern about the log in screen not looking official. The Grading Team does not see your password to your account. It is not possible for them to see that information. The Grading Team sees the responses to the multiple choice and the fill in answers. You have to log in, so that SOE can verify the account is an actual account with the game you are applying to is live and active, and then they can then do a check on your account for past history. We want people with good records who are passionate about the games. You do not guide on your play account, but one that is provided by SOE specifically for Guiding. I guess a way to think about it is as a back ground check for SOE.
    Times have changed a bit for the guides. When I was working on admin stuff this morning, I noticed that for the current festival, EQII has over 20 quests that can be ran, compared to a year ago when I think the number was 3. The program for EQII is really starting to grow, and I think you will see a lot more of us in the future, now expecially since we are allowed to have a "voice" on the forums here. *grins* if you play on Kithicor, you might want to check your server forums.
  12. ARCHIVED-retro_guy Guest

Rosabel wrote:
    The log in page definitely has to be revamped, I mean it's very odd to just have a picture of that chick from EQ1, it gives the impression the web page may no longer be current!

There are also a couple of issues with the question form. Some of the boxes do not retain their answers when you refresh the page, and when I got the confirmation email, some answers I had entered had dropped out completely and had to be added manually and emailed back.

Also what was that question about "the opposing city faction and the public being able to buy", that was a really weird one?

How often are the questions updated to bring them into line with the current game(s)?

I did enjoy the creative writing part :D
  13. ARCHIVED-DocFlareon Guest

I'm e-mailing this issue, but I thought that I should mention it in the forum as well.

I am applying to be a guide in EQ2, so why am I being given Vanguard questions?
  14. ARCHIVED-Rijacki Guest

Ekaunek@Lucan DLere wrote:
    You're not. The form is oddly laid out. Each question box has questions for each game. My guess is that it was intended you would pick which game to answer from for each box.
    I will admit, though, I answered for both EQ1 and EQ2 on my form, just because I knew the EQ1 answers, too *laugh*
  15. ARCHIVED-DocFlareon Guest

Rijacki wrote:
    Problem is, I can only answer the Vanguard questions, because only the Vanguard questions have a text entry form. It is the EQ2 questions that should have the text entry forms.

EDIT: Duh! I get it now. The form is set up so that all three questions share the same text entry form. You pick and choose which question you answer. This is not intuitive.
  16. ARCHIVED-Archangel Guest

This sounds really fun...I dropped in my application today.