Guide events with uncooperative players!

Discussion in 'Quests and Seasonal Events' started by Cassta, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Aw, killjoy. :(

Uwk
    Breanna and Rosyposy like this.
  2. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Amen to that last. ;->

And it's not really up to the devs so much as it is to the fact that these poor folks are volunteers, and can't always be able to come out all the time, nor necessarily schedule an appearance to coincide with bonus times. Gravy on the cake when they can... :)

Uwk
    who has Guide quests even on Public Test (which has permanent NPCs for most of them) that require a real human behind them...
    Breanna likes this.
  3. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Lots of times, I have no doubt that people get the stupid flapping mounts (the Phoenixes, which "never touch the base earth 'til time for them to die" ["So hurry up and DIE, already!" {I don't even use mine all that much at all; I can't see anything past the flapping butt feathers in 3rd person, and I get nauseous if I'm in 1st person too long}]) and/or the "ginormously huge" appearance simply because they can. Such people are usually doing it deliberately: "Looky what I have! Looky what I can afford! Looky looky looky! Aren't I wonderful? Aren't you all just soooo envious? :D" (like people parking a luxury SUV in two handicapped spaces in RL without a placard or plate; I'd always taken the greatest glee in writing out TWO pricey tickets for that ;->) "No, just profoundly irritated. Get your huge flappy crud out of my face. :mad:"

If you turn off your mount visuals in your own Options, can you still get the mount gear benefits when you're crafting? I've never gotten into the whole barding thing...

Uwk
    Marae, Breanna and Rosyposy like this.
  4. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I agree with Dirgen (and there's gotta be a pink out there that's gentler on the eyes that you would like, too! :D), but I also agree with you; if there's a ton of people already at the Guide and all of them are on ginormous mounts and with their extensive entourage (which might also be a "look at me! Look at me! Look at me! My train's bigger than yours!" kind of thing), it's really annoying for the rest of us poor peones. And it's not just at the Guides, either; many's the time on Bristlebane's high holy day that getting to poor Imenand requires a crowbar and a pound of lard, but at least he's a computer-run NPC. :-/

Often at such times, I'll wriggle in from behind to /hail, but that might be a wee tad overwhelming for some RL Guides, trying to get to everyone at once that's 360° around them. :-/

My advice to all (including the show-off greed-heads) would be: just get to within hailing distance (when the cursor goes from grey to gold), briefly interact, get the quest, then LEAVE. Let someone else jump in. ;->

Uwk
  5. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

OMG, don't even get me started about Santa Glug... X-P

I have a particular spot for him near the tree, but off to the side, where depending on my camera angle, I can line up my Chat window (with a dark background) so that it obscures the BRIGHT WHITE SNOW/ICE EFFECT that the artists insist on for "realism" (yeah, 'cause my Elven Wizard might not be able to see the Troll Necro to hit him with a fireball spell if her eyes don't work any more). I'm not in anyone's way like 99.9% of the time, and can usually still get to Glug somehow, even if it's just his toes. :-/

What I detest is the folks who zone in practically on top of Glug, often with a giant and/or flappy mount, entourage, etc. and yeah, make it so no one else can get to him. I can't help but think this is deliberate behavior (and yes, I have /reported such in the past). :-/

And with as many alts as I have, time is of the essence; I literally have less than a minute between each toon to log in/camp to, hail Glug, get my gifty, and /camp to the next before 15 seconds have passed (any more than that, it'll mess up my schedule). :-/

Uwk
  6. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

D'oh! /face_palm :confused:

Yeah! I, too, have been guilty on occasion; usually I just try to get my stuff done and back out quickly (and I don't use Phoenixes), and most of the time when I have to recommit AA's, I curse the entire "you now have to recast all your Until Cancelled things" (almost always try to get that done even before /claiming stuff for a new toon; less to have to recast :-/), but it's good to see it differently as a useful thing. :)

Uwk
    Marae and Breanna like this.
  7. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

And impossible -- well, okay, at least mildly difficult for everyone in triple digits of levels -- for opposite aligned folks to get the quest at all if it's in a KoS city. :-/

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  8. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

That's why I usually only hide my mounts during combat, so I can see what's going on...on the other hand, if I come up on a Guide "farm" and I can barely get within /hailing range, I usually don't even try elbowing my way in, just hail, say hi, RP a little, get the quest, get out. If nothing else, my poor old computers in the past had also started to gack out on such occasions. Or, y'know, one could just wait until the current cycle full of twits clears out, then have the Guide to yourself...but that doesn't always happen. :-/

The quests I prefer, frankly, are the ones where you get the initial quest and then don't have to come back to the Guide to finish it (but it's cool when you do and can interact some more, hopefully at a less frenetic time :D), you can finish it whenever. That's got to be easier on everyone, I think. :)

Uwk
  9. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Rosyposy said:
    “I believe the guides have indicated that they cannot hide mounts for some reason. Personally, I always keep mounts hidden.”
    "Killjoy" in this case = not being able to hide others' mounts from my field of vision, not the "turn off mounts, please! I do! :)" idea. ;->

Uwk
  10. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

Good info for Tinkerfest too, when people stand on the quest givers.
  11. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

At least with Tinkerfest, 99.9% of the time they're just computer-run NPCs, and you can winkle yourself in anywhere/how you need to for quest purposes. Many's the time I've wound up on the roof of that ginormous gear "arch" over their heads there at Gnomeland Security for the questees and the merchants, since that was the only available angle. :-/

Not easy when your target's a teeny Gnome... :-/

Uwk
    who won't even admit how many times it's been forgotten that the Gnomish language is a requirement... :oops: