Guide events with uncooperative players!

Discussion in 'Quests and Seasonal Events' started by Cassta, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Cassta Well-Known Member

I have a suggestion for all the Guides which I think may be helpful. It seems during quests/events no matter how many times Guides or players ask everyone to dismount and hide pets there are those who do not. Maybe the Guide, or an assistant, could port those refusing to cooperate to a different location (such as a travel globe) which would require them to come back to the event site. This would give the Guide a small window of time to work their magic with compliant players. :) I am sure I will get blasted for this post but I know there are others who feel the same way. EQ2 is supposed to be fun and an escape for all of us, not a place which generates stress. Thank you for listening.
  2. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

I agree with this. It is SO annoying.
  3. Karamella Well-Known Member

Can't agree more. Those fluttering montrous mounts all around, there is no way the Guides can see a tiny fae or ratonga. Last time my little arasai kept hailing the Guide for 10 minutes until she finally got the quest.
  4. dirgenoobforreal Well-Known Member

I agree if you stop using the pink font.
  5. Chikkin Well-Known Member

guides, or anyone really, who want to or need to be able to see players not mounts, should use /suspend_mount_mode command. Followed by number 1 or 2 to see mounts or not
  6. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

I believe the guides have indicated that they cannot hide mounts for some reason. Personally, I always keep mounts hidden.
  7. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

I agree with you ladies even so that if people got ported to the nearest evac place :eek: , I probably would be one of them , forgetting to get of my mount .;)
  8. Daryx Well-Known Member

Guides can turn mounts off. In fact I'm looking at a quote in my log here from a guide trying to hand out the Guides Guide in Kylong Plains: "I have mounts turned off, its the pets and mercs =)"

And with that I would agree. If you have problems with other people's mounts, in most situations it's your own responsibility to turn them off. The only ones I have had problems with are people with the dragon illusion because that can't be turned off (and the Skygge problems until those were fixed). Other players' pets and mercs can't be turned off by a setting and mercs add to the issue of targeting since the game treats them as a PC rather than an NPC when targeting.

The problem with the guide quests (I presume it's the Guides Guide ones that are the issue) is the clutter of people. If they were offered more regularly instead of just on the 3rd day of a 5-day double status it would probably cut down on a lot of the crowding. And if people didn't think they all had to stand right in front.
  9. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

I's am a poor ratongas , I's dont's understand's why peoples leave their mercses on they's cost gold's or plat's
  10. Chikkin Well-Known Member

higher level mercs cost 0, From level 13 possibly? that's what mine is
  11. Clintsat Well-Known Member

It is also super easy for players to adjust their settings to not see mounts.
  12. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

thanks for the info Chikkin I will check it out on my level 97.
  13. Marae Well-Known Member

In general, my experience has been that if people are aware they need to turn something off for a large group thing, they will. Some people will think of it on their own, but others need to be reminded, and for most people, the reminder is all they need. Being removed from the area would definitely be a "reminder." As long as people understand why this is being done to them, I would think it would be a very effective one.

That said, I really think that some people with enormous mounts could be a little more considerate of other players in general. It's not necessarily always that easy to turn mounts on or off - if you don't have the command memorized (which I don't), you have to go into options and that's not always convenient. Besides, it's not that you don't want to see any mounts at all, you just don't want that enormous winged thing flapping around your ears in close quarters. I was crafting one time in Obulus Frontier, with limited space around the only crafting table. I was on a ten-minute potion of progress, trying to get all the crafting done at once for the ten or so quests they have up there. I was the only one there when I started. Someone with an enormous flying mount dropped in right next to me and pretty much obscured the table. I could have dealt with that, I suppose, but the flapping wings were driving me nuts. I politely if hastily messaged them, asking them if they would please dismount, and why. They told me I should turn mounts off. I felt offended - I was there first, I was obviously crafting, and they just plopped on top of me like they owned the world. I didn't even know how to turn mounts off at that point, since I'd never done it. I didn't have time to figure it out before my potion would run out. It was a very unpleasant situation. And I honestly didn't understand why managing their mount should be my responsibility. I think dismounting would have been the courteous thing for them to do, but the impression I got was that they did not want to be inconvenienced - never mind that they were inconveniencing me.

That was a long time ago, before all the mount gear became available. These days I believe it would be less reasonable to ask someone to dismount at a crafting station, and I probably wouldn't do it. But there are certainly still situations where the simplest and most polite solution would be for the person with the large mount to dismount.
  14. Avithax Well-Known Member

As stated before, mounts aren't the issue as every player has the option to hide being able to see mounts in their UI. As for pets and sillys they can be obstructive but not as much of a nuisance. Perhaps an effect within 5m of the Guide similar to the Griffon platforms in Antonica that eventually move the player 20m away if the spam is ignored?
  15. Marae Well-Known Member

That could work, Avithax. I still politely disagree about the mounts issue - some of us really do want to see mounts most of the time, and as I noted above, changing settings isn't always convenient - but your suggestion for an action the guide could take is a good one.

I think the real issue is not so much which specific type of creature is a problem, but that when there are so very many players gathered in one place at one time, the sheer collective volume of creatures - mounts, pets, fluff pets, mercenaries, and the players themselves - has an impact. The easiest - and fairest - solution is for everyone to dismount and dismiss their companions. No one has to change their settings, and everyone contributes more or less equally to the success of the venture.

The first time I became aware that creatures were an issue was when I was picking up the Nebulous Newsies quest for the first time in Cardin Ward. The zone was jam-packed, and the guide requested that we dismount and dismiss all pets. I didn't think the request was unreasonable at all.
  16. Clintsat Well-Known Member

The easiest solution is for those bothered by it to change their settings. Imho, it is best to only ask change from others once you have exhausted efforts to address the problem individually.
    VitalSunrise and Cassta like this.
  17. Merriel Well-Known Member

Honestly, I agree that the large mounts are an issue, but with the new dragon illusion, it is impossible to turn it off, and for those who are roleplaying, it may be their preference to remain a big dragon. As such, however, I think they should respect the others in the area trying to get the quesrt and keep their distance. They will be seen, they will be given the quest, no need for them to stand on top of or close to the guide, obstructing everyone's view.

As for pets and mercs, all too often I have seen people keep their pets and mercs out during these events, which is, in and of itelf, disrespectful to the others around them. To make the guides task easier, they should dismiss them. I, however, have actually been guilty of this, only because usually I keep my pets hidden, but from time to time may pull them out to empty my pack pony, etc, and may forget to hide them again. Once I realize, however, that they are still out, I immediately hide them again.

It seems that our high level characters prefer not to pay their mercs anything for the work they do, though you will still hear the cha-ching go off and the message pop up in chat that you paid your merc 0 coin. My friends and I joke around about it, saying that we gave the merc a pouch of coin with a hole in the bottom, so when they went to pocket it, the coin fell on the ground and we gathered it back up again. Finders - Keepers, as the old adage goes. :D

There is no reason for mercs to be out during a guide event. They can very easily be called out again once you have left the event or everyone has disbursed.
  18. Cassta Well-Known Member

It will NEVER happen. :D Pink is my signature color! :p :D
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  19. Cassta Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone for your responses and comments. It was brought to my attention it could also have a negative impact on new and inexperienced players. The focus of my comment was those veteran players who continue the behavior, even when being asked several times by the guide. As I explained to the senior guide on my server, I would never want to do or say anything to discourage new players from participating in guide events or playing in any way. I sincerely did not mean for my comment to cause grief for any one or to generate any arguments. Thank all of you for the suggestions.
  20. Cassta Well-Known Member

You know what dirgenoobforreal, I will stop using my pink font. If it annoys you enough to say something about it, there are probably others who feel the same way. :) Between here and the guide event page I believe I have annoyed enough people. :oops: