Guess they need to make the pumpkin quest steal proof

Discussion in 'Quests and Seasonal Events' started by d1anaw, Oct 12, 2014.

1. d1anaw Well-Known Member

Hubby and I were doing the pumpkin smashing quest in Qeynos last night when two people came by on horseback and started stealing our pumpkins. I guess they need to make it so that you can only pick up the pumpkins if you are grouped. It's a crying shame that people have to be so ridiculously idiotic, especially since the quest requires you to be within the city limits. It's not like the quest is difficult or that the reward is all that spectacular. I guess some people just need to steal for the sake of stealing and being jerks.
    Ahupu and suka like this.
  2. Cinnamon Active Member

New Flash!...I wasn't aware that you and your hubby were the only ones playing. The pumpkins were made to be shared for all. I say this because I did this so many times, I didn't care weather by passers were grabbing them even if they by chance got rare items. Apparently unlike you I didn't mind sharing with all other fellow players.
    Loredena and SierraDawn like this.
  3. Burningice Coldfire Member

Just find a better place to stand and do it. I had no problem finding a place where I could sit with two alts and my main to just spam them for over an hour in the middle of the day on Saturday.
  4. redwoodtreesprite Well-Known Member

Quite few players want to share the pumpkins. If you don't want others to collect them, then just pick somewhere out of the way. Maybe even in a not-busy building in a city. :)
    Loredena likes this.
  5. d1anaw Well-Known Member

New Flash!...I wasn't aware that you and your hubby were the only ones playing. The pumpkins were made to be shared for all. I say this because I did this so many times, I didn't care weather by passers were grabbing them even if they by chance got rare items. Apparently unlike you I didn't mind sharing with all other fellow players.

And I wasn't aware that it was protocol to just come up and help yourself without asking to someone else's quest. It USED to be that stealing mobs and stealing things out from under people, especially without asking was bad form. Guess I forgot the entitlement generation plays this game and thinks anything in the world is theirs for the taking, whenever and wherever.
    Moonpanther, suka and floofloobunny like this.
  6. Kelvani Well-Known Member

Sorry you had a bad experience with that. I would like to say I hope it wasn't me and my hubby. We just returned to game after six years absence, and didn't know about the pumpkins being a purchased item. We saw a couple people "camping" a spawn spot (or so we thought) and grabbed I think 2-3 pumpkins before one of the people told us to get lost. We did because we didn't want to fight over a node. So, if you were in Qeynos on Unrest my apologies! It was ignorance, not intent to steal =D

Fortunately, last night a kind lil ratonga explained the quest to me and what to do to make them pop. So, accidental pumpkin thieving has been averted! Now, if this was NOT us, then I would suggest to you that whoever "stole" the pumpkins may also have been new, and ignorant of how to trigger them to pop.
    Loredena likes this.
  7. Ahupu Well-Known Member

If the pumpkins were meant to be shared by all then they really need to stop charging for them. I am a helpful soul, and gladly give players (new and old) my time and make gear without recompense, but that is my choice. Charge me for an item (even if that cost is only two candy corn) and allow people to take the product of my work without my consent and I (like the OP) get upset. Your choice your pumpkins, my choice (and the OP's) our pumpkins, don't confuse what you feel comfortable with, with how others feel. I say this because you seem to think that the OP's feelings on the subject are somehow wrong, and they aren't, but then neither are yours for YOU. If you like for people to take the things you have worked for without asking fine, just know that isn't the case for everyone.
    Moonpanther, suka and floofloobunny like this.
  8. Caith Developer

I say that to the grocery store cashiers when I buy candy to give out for Halloween every year, but they never seem to listen.
  9. Cinnamon Active Member

Considering my pack horse brings them to me isn't that much effort so...I don't mind for I am setting on 100 or more of each collections myself. To share with one, shouldn't' mean to not share with all for it requires more then one person to make it possible. My point is if you wanted to be greedy, then find a place that others wouldn't see you doing it to begin with...don't complain when others happen to find you doing right where by passers come by...most likely not realizing what the cost is to do them is.
    Loredena likes this.
  10. Ahupu Well-Known Member

I can accept ignorance to a point, however I agree with the OP only those grouped together should be allowed to pick them up, because I should not have to find a hiding place just so I can choose with whom I share. Sharing with one person should not perforce equate to sharing with everyone.
    suka likes this.
  11. Nnife Member

Greetings~

Hey Caith this post and your reply gave me an idea or two. Why not just make the pumpkins appear in cities like the city festival collectables. Perhaps add pumpkins to Hedge Hollow. Heck for that matter just add pumpkins randomly across Norrath during Nights of the Dead. Maybe next year?

Finora and Lateana like this.
  12. Lateana Older than Dirt, Playing EQII since 2004

I agree with the OP. As long as you have to buy the pumpkins they should not be free to any and all who happen to pass by. I can understand ignorance but not the willful taking of another person's possessions, as some in this discussion apparently believe is fine and dandy. This is exactly like the thief that says that if it isn't nailed down you deserve to have it taken or that they need it more than you do, so they have a right to take it.

I believe the pumpkins should be freely available, like roses and snowballs. Then they would be a shared asset for all to enjoy and not a source of contention.
    Ahupu and suka like this.
  13. redwoodtreesprite Well-Known Member

Thing is, it's a lot of fun doing the pumpkin thing on non-grouped characters. Fun roleplaying, and kind of like a pumpkin pinata party. :) I would hate it to be changed to group members only...
    Loredena likes this.
  14. mouser Well-Known Member

Are you talking about the pumpkin bombs?

If so I got them just sitting with my merc inside irontoes east for a while. Fifty pumpkins, got jack's + two trees on the last four.

Plenty of spots in the city where you can play without being disturbed. As for the 'stealing' mobs and pumpkins thing - I guess I'm different because I started out in FF XI where EVERY mob was a fight to see who could pull it first, from the starter zone to the highest raids. That kind of competition is healthy for a game.
  15. suka Well-Known Member

just because something can be stolen doesn't make it right to do it. not everyone has a ton of candy corn to spend on pumpkins the way some do. the correct thing to do is ask- never assume. it is definitely wrong to expect someone to simply give away to whoever comes around stuff they worked to be able to get.

it is like if someone came by your house and decided to pick all the flowers from your yard and take the plants along with them. if you had worked hard on those flowers and spent money to buy them, you wouldn't want someone to just come around and grab them.

the pumpkins were created for an achievement. they give shinies which are worth status points and trees. it was rather shortsighted of the devs not to make them so that only people in a group can pick them up. personally, i prefer to choose whom i share my goodies with. it is hard to find a good place to throw them where people won't be around and i had one stick in a wall and couldn't smash it. I also wish they would remove the city requirement. there is no real reason for it. but no, i don't want anyone coming up and taking my pumpkins. if you want pumpkins- go buy your own.
  16. suka Well-Known Member

to choose to give out candy is not the same as having the choice taken away from someone by allowing anyone who happens by to take them. if i pay for something, then it is my choice to share or not. if i choose not to,then no one should be able to force me to. any attitude that people have who thinks it is ok to take personal choice from someone just because they are in a game. is wrong. it is stealing to take something that belongs to someone else without permission. so let's make it clear. hands off my pumpkin if you know what is best for you. i don't like being forced to share.

most people know that i am one of the most giving person in the game. but again, it comes down to my choice. don't try to force generosity. that isn't right. if you want me to be more generous, then hand me 1k pumpkin bombs and tell me to share them. i just bought 1k bombs for my toons to do their achievements with. no, you can't have them.
  17. suka Well-Known Member

it isn't greedy to want to keep what is yours. it is greedy to steal what others have. stingy is the proper word, not greedy. and everyone has the right to be stingy with what is theirs. no one has the right to try to make a person feel guilty for not wanting to share. and not everyone has pack ponies.
    Merriel and Ahupu like this.
  18. suka Well-Known Member

that is fine if it is your choice. however, no sharing should be forced on someone who just went out and spent hours killing just so they could do the achievement. yeah i have a pack pony. but it is easy to forget that a lot of people don't have them and they have to work for their candy.
  19. suka Well-Known Member

competition is one thing. stealing what someone paid for is another. you wouldn't call it competition if someone called dibs on your truck or car and took off with it. it is not competition to steal someone's pumpkins.
    Merriel, Moonpanther and Ahupu like this.
  20. suka Well-Known Member

you know, maybe someone ought to point out to the devs that they have just made people think it is ok to steal in the game. lets call a spade a spade. taking something away from someone who paid for them is stealing no matter which way you slant it and this is the wrong concept to encourage in any situation, much less a game. please ask the devs to do something about this. you should be able to choose whether or not you want to share with the world. you shouldn't have to be on the constant lookout for someone who might come along and steal from you. that isn't right. calling it "sharing" is wrong when someone is being forced to "share" what they don't want to give up.