Guardians!

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by Mimixx(2), Feb 8, 2013.

1. Mimixx(2) Member

To be honest I am going to say the truth why I am posting this:

I was challenged by a guild mate at Crushbone server to make my Guardian 100% DPS class. I need advices because I have never played a tank before and know a little about them.

I have seen zerkers fight in bg's and they are incredible..
    Ones there was a zerker(lvl 31) killed me in 6 sec while I was on my inquisitor(lvl 48) with full master crafted gear and Legendary 2h and I still got owned.

Does guardians get same spells? Can they do more DPS than normal if AA build is right? What are the differences between zerker and guardian?
  2. Estred Well-Known Member

Ha, good luck dpsing on a Guardian. It is very had and they are very reliant on gear. I having near end-game raid gear am able to push out 200-600K DPS on an AE fight where a Berserker in the same gear is doing 600-1200K. Basically it's all in the class description. Guardians have loads of defensive spells and protections or hate adjustments. Zerkers have DR/Heal and a lot of AE.

I dunno how your challenge will go but telling how to dps a Guard in a thread... would take paragraphs. Simplest said... if the AA ups damage, take it. If it ups Critical Bonus, take it.
  3. Nynaeve Active Member

seems to me like your guildmate pranked you.
    afaik a Guardian is a tank that can take a lot of beating plus have good hate...
    If you want good dps on a tank, u should look at monk, bruiser, sk, berzerker...
    Estred likes this.
  4. Mohee Active Member

hehehe

spec'ing a guardian for dps, is like spec'ing a conjuror for heals :eek:
    It just isn't going to happen.
  5. Daalilama Well-Known Member

They dont call templars guardians of the healer classes for nothing....
    Estred likes this.
  6. Sixgauge Well-Known Member

Guards do dpm.
    Chocmerc likes this.
  7. Estred Well-Known Member

Damage Per Minute?
    Sixgauge likes this.
  8. Ivory Member

The easiest way to make a Guardian DPS is going to be... Betray to Zerker....lol

But seriously you are never going to be effective as DPS on a Guardian the way things are now.
  9. Sixgauge Well-Known Member

Exactly.

:oops:
  10. Daalilama Well-Known Member

Thats still more damage than a templar can
  11. Chocmerc Member

LOL @ DPM, so true. All i can say is, take AAs that boost damage, play in reckless, and dual wield, but honestly you wont parse very high, but at least you can wear scout jewelry to give you more flurry ;D
  12. Mohee Active Member

On another note about guardians, as far as im concerned, we don't need the dps. In a raid/group setting, I can hold aggro just fine against people doing 3-5 times the amount of DPS that i'm doing. :cool:

Im not there to dps, i'm there to protect my group, hold aggro, and take the beating like a man so the group/raid doesn't have to.

And on a separate note, most the time our main tank is a monk. He usually ends up tanking the boss, the adds, and doing incredible dps on almost every fight :p while our OT's are there for moral support, or the super rare chance the monk actually dies.
    Estred likes this.
  13. Estred Well-Known Member

Mohee hit it on the head. Guardians are DEFENSE tanks there to protect (not buff) their groups and survive really really well. The trade off? Significantly less damage output. We also use a pair of Brawlers actually for our raid (Monk+Bruiser). Guardians seem to be a sort of "2nd MT" choice right now since many fights are DPS-Checks.
  14. Rhita Active Member

Guardians can still do dps, just no where near other tank classes. My guild currently has Guard, SK, and bruiser. On dps fights I'm anywhere between 600k-1mil while our sk is generally around 1mil-1.5mil. We could def use an increase to close the dps gap between tanks since the defensive aspect of a guardian is no longer that far ahead of other tanks.
  15. Duele Active Member

Like any smart raid would to do things the easiest. Thus the glaringly obvious symptom showing fighter imbalance.
  16. Mimixx(2) Member

I am doing good now and have tanked for my guild in Stormhold: Maulicas epic *4. The guildies were impressed cause I did aaallmmoost good as the other tank(monk). I died once and he didnt died a single time.

As I was going solo later that night I just noticed 1 huge simple thing:

I WASNT HEALING MYSELF. Thats a huge problem because berserkers in BG can do more healings than healers while in combat. Really?.
    I dont want to nerf zerkers and not do Guards OP, but some heals would work as guards cant do DPS.
  17. Estred Well-Known Member

That is far from what I said or meant. If you really want to know what we run.
    Monk: MT
    Guardian: MT
    Bruiser: OT
    Shadowknight: OT
    Berserker: Backup-Tank

The only class we don't have atm is Paladin. I can tell you from expcerience we shuffle tanks based on what we need not what is "the king tank." Please keep this thread on topic. I was illustrating how Guardians are "defense tanks" not trying to start up a war on "who is the most OP tank" that is the reason the SK thread was locked.

To remain on topic, which was "can a Guardian dps" the answer is; no, not really. They are not made to dps.
  18. Mimixx(2) Member

Not even with luck lol? :)
  19. Estred Well-Known Member

Ok with a bit, I have pushed 700K-1Million DPS on my Guardian under very specific circumstances usually AE with myself in Offense. If you fought Vyskudra the Ancient then you could see a 4.4 Million dps parse. Facts are though Guards are the Defensive side of the Warrior Coin. Tbh I like that, as long as Guard DPS remains high enough for solo content and our focus is self+group and maybe even a little Raid protection, then I think the Guardians are doing what they should, Guard.
  20. Netty Member

I havent done a BG in a long time. But i have never out healed a healer on a BG with my zerk.Zerks are pretty powerfull from what i have heard in BG:s but tbh so is any class played right. This isent the BG section so im not sure why you bring that up? Heals matter for huge swarms of adds that dont die with in 2secs. And 2-4 adds and heals will do nothing for the tank. If we saw bigger encounters bot berserks and SK:s surviveability would work alot better as thats what they where they are. AoE tanks. Sadly when you have just small fights block makes tank take way less damage and are easier to keep up.I dont think guards needs a heal. I Do however think they need a dps boost of some sort. But imo they need to be very carefull with what they do as some tanks that should be singel target tanks do alot of aoe dps now aswell.

Ithink the biggest problem with guards is that they are atm the only singel target tank. I have tryed playing mine abit in heroics the last few and tbh they are not as bad on aoe hate as ppl claim. I could room pull easy with him. Sure its easier on my zerk or SK as dps can normal start dpsing on the pull. But as soon as i had pulled everything i had no problem at all holding the mobs. The other tank classes have more fun tools to use in heroics i fguess that makes them more fun to play. Not sure what they can give guards with out making them to much. Another aoe ability maybe but as i said they need to be carefull with it.